Page 1 of 5
johnwolennon
1,000 IQ
for bands that are generally considered good? I've seen a lot of people that call this band and that band over-rated that seems to be considered good, but don't really give too many valid reasons. So I was wondering if something like this was possible, or it was just people not liking a band because other people like it, or it's not the style they're into.
gman128
78 IQ
I think ppl get over-hyped and over-rated confused. I.e. Avenged sevenfold are over hyped, look at the most recent metal/rock award show - the golden gods - they cleaned up and got 4 awards. is that because they are over-hyped - yes. I mean this doesn't mean they are untalented, or bad, it just means people seem to love to over egg the pudding at an award show where there are as many equally talented acts vying for awards.

Over-rating is what ppl do of independent parts of bands i.e. Travis barker - "omdz he is an amazing drummer" - no. He is amazing if you've never heard someone better - like Portnoy, Haake, Roddy, etc.... lots more. And it's always ppl who listen to music but don't play instruments who are impressed by him looking like he's attacking the kit when he plays. People who aren't in the know tend to over rate - as well as over hype, but they are different things
gman128
78 IQ
maybe that was a bit long, ok basically non musicians tend to overrate. i.e. all those silly emo girls who love bullet for my valentine, or the ones that think they are sick and love emmure. "omg aren't bfmv amazing". No they are not; good yes but amazing no. But due to all the other bells and whistles - look, haircuts, pyrotechnics at shows, everyone who doesn't play music gets wowed and overrates them.

Over hyping is done to bands that are big already - i.e. when Kings of Leon are about to release an album, all the critics are waiting with baited breath
guitar_rules311
Hayden
722 IQ
Yes it is possible for a good band to be overrated. Way too often people call good, or mediocre bands "the best band ever". That's not over hyping. It's overrating.
last.fm
Quote by rockhard182
*opens happytimeharrys head* *finds nothing*

what a ripoff

Member #18 of the "Claudio Sanchez is God" Club. PM stepco12345 to join!
gman128
78 IQ
yh fair point, but i always think it's people that just haven't heard better stuff
johnwolennon
1,000 IQ
Ok, this is what I've got from the conversation so far: over-hyping has to do with people buying into a band because of heightened publicity, and over-rating is a result of a limited musical library
Joshua1207
Hipster Jesus
1,804 IQ
Quote by johnwolennon
Ok, this is what I've got from the conversation so far: over-hyping has to do with people buying into a band because of heightened publicity, and over-rating is a result of a limited musical library

Which is wrong. Over-hyping and over-rated are pretty much the same thing. A band being liked more than they should whether they're good or not. Doesn't matter how much music you listen to or not.

EDIT: I guess I use overrated when the band is bad and use over-hyped when I like the band but they are liked too much by the public, if that makes sense.
Last edited by Joshua1207 at May 8, 2011,
johnwolennon
1,000 IQ
Quote by Joshua1207
Which is wrong. Over-hyping and over-rated are pretty much the same thing. A band being liked more than they should whether they're good or not. Doesn't matter how much music you listen to or not.

EDIT: I guess I use overrated when the band is bad and use over-hyped when I like the band but they are liked too much by the public, if that makes sense.

I might understand it. From what you said, it seems like over-rated and over-hyped are two different levels of a band ranking system based on personal vs public opinion.
celestialelixir
The Watcher
122 IQ
I would say the guys in Dream Theater are all very talented musicians, but I believe they are extremely overrated as a band.

I like BTBAM, but I believe they too, are overrated.

I think Jimi Hendrix was an overrated guitarist.

Usually a reason doesn't need to be given. It's pretty self-explanatory. If I believe a band is overrated, then I believe people give the band more credit than they're worth. That isn't to say the band is bad, but I don't think many bands are worthing jizzing your brains out over.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Special C-7 FR
Peavey Vyper 60W Tube
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
phoenix_crush
Former Registered User
1,130 IQ
La Dispute is my favorite band, but lately they've become overrated. Kids hear one song and go "OMGZ best band evar!!!1!". I mean, they do deserve the hype, but Jordan Dreyer isn't god's gift to the world...
johnwolennon
1,000 IQ
Quote by celestialelixir
I would say the guys in Dream Theater are all very talented musicians, but I believe they are extremely overrated as a band.

I like BTBAM, but I believe they too, are overrated.

I think Jimi Hendrix was an overrated guitarist.

Usually a reason doesn't need to be given. It's pretty self-explanatory. If I believe a band is overrated, then I believe people give the band more credit than they're worth. That isn't to say the band is bad, but I don't think many bands are worthing jizzing your brains out over.

I think a reason, if not multiple reasons, needs to be given for why people like Hendrix, who is considered the greatest guitarist of all time, would be considered over-rated, and why they're not as good as people say they are.

Also, what makes Dream Theater and BTBAM over-rated?

And finally, I don't understand the whole bands "worthing jizzing your brains out over" thing. What does that mean, and what bands are worth it in your opinion?
johnwolennon
1,000 IQ
Quote by phoenix_crush
La Dispute is my favorite band, but lately they've become overrated. Kids hear one song and go "OMGZ best band evar!!!1!". I mean, they do deserve the hype, but Jordan Dreyer isn't god's gift to the world...

This seems to be an example of a band being over-hyped, according to what people have said earlier in the discussion.
phoenix_crush
Former Registered User
1,130 IQ
Quote by johnwolennon
This seems to be an example of a band being over-hyped, according to what people have said earlier in the discussion.

yeah, I guess so.
nashawa
Rightful HxC Emperor
1,511 IQ
It's the same thing. Christ you people are ridiculous.
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
johnwolennon
1,000 IQ
Quote by nashawa
It's the same thing. Christ you people are ridiculous.

Wow, you're angry.
nashawa
Rightful HxC Emperor
1,511 IQ
So angry.

Seriously though, they're the same thing.
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
nashawa
Rightful HxC Emperor
1,511 IQ
I've never met an overweight person in my life.
Quote by emoboy027

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
johnwolennon
1,000 IQ
Quote by nashawa
So angry.

Seriously though, they're the same thing.

For the sake of discussion, how are they the same thing? How can you tell they're not different things, or just different parts of a larger thing? And also, just to make sure, have you read every post, or did you just skim over?
nashawa
Rightful HxC Emperor
1,511 IQ
I've read the thread in it's entirety, and hype and praise in the music world are synonymous (if the hype is positive, anyway). Something cannot be overhyped without also being overrated (again, assuming the hype is positive). I feel like this discussion is being perpetrated by people trying their hardest to defend their favourite artists by saying they are not, in fact, overrated.
Quote by emoboy027

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
johnwolennon
1,000 IQ
Quote by nashawa
I've read the thread in it's entirety, and hype and praise in the music world are synonymous (if the hype is positive, anyway). Something cannot be overhyped without also being overrated (again, assuming the hype is positive). I feel like this discussion is being perpetrated by people trying their hardest to defend their favourite artists by saying they are not, in fact, overrated.

Alright. That makes sense. There's a lot of people that do that.

Moving onto the next part of the argument, what makes a band over-rated? This will bring up the questions of what makes a band good, and what makes a band not so good.
Joshua1207
Hipster Jesus
1,804 IQ
Quote by johnwolennon
Alright. That makes sense. There's a lot of people that do that.

Moving onto the next part of the argument, what makes a band over-rated? This will bring up the questions of what makes a band good, and what makes a band not so good.

We've been over this. A band being liked more than they should whether they're good or not. Its all personal opinion anyways. I think all classic rock is p much overrated but someone else on here will probably defend to the death that that was the best time decade of music (lol at that person though).
johnwolennon
1,000 IQ
Quote by Joshua1207
We've been over this. A band being liked more than they should whether they're good or not. Its all personal opinion anyways. I think all classic rock is p much overrated but someone else on here will probably defend to the death that that was the best time decade of music (lol at that person though).

What makes you think all classic rock is overrated? Without the songs that came before, there wouldn't be the music that's coming out today.
nashawa
Rightful HxC Emperor
1,511 IQ
Quote by johnwolennon
What makes you think all classic rock is overrated? Without the songs that came before, there wouldn't be the music that's coming out today.

Oh please... if different music came out in the classic rock era, we'd still have music today. And who's to say it wouldn't be better?
Quote by emoboy027

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
johnwolennon
1,000 IQ
Quote by nashawa
Oh please... if different music came out in the classic rock era, we'd still have music today. And who's to say it wouldn't be better?

That makes no sense. I didn't say there wouldn't be any music today, I said that there wouldn't be the kind of music we have today. Also, if the music back then was different, the music today would be different as well. And just curious, but what years would you consider the classic rock era?
lookpizza
Party Hard
1,566 IQ
Overhyped - The new Touch Amore album (that isn't out yet) is going to be the best hardcore album of the year.
Overratted- Touche Amore is the best hardcore band ever.
I'm an asshole.
'93
1,110 IQ
well classic rock is kind of overrated...but at the same time it isnt

personally i think the 80s were overrated. i think that the pop was really horrible, with all those effects on the voice and stuff and 80s rock wasnt that great either. just a bunch of guys who could play their guitar fast

but you see...i gave reason :P
Joshua1207
Hipster Jesus
1,804 IQ
Quote by johnwolennon
That makes no sense. I didn't say there wouldn't be any music today, I said that there wouldn't be the kind of music we have today. Also, if the music back then was different, the music today would be different as well. And just curious, but what years would you consider the classic rock era?

Well most of the bands I listen to weren't influenced by Led Zep, Pink Floyd, etc so p sure I'd still have my music.
Talking about 60-70's being classic rock (although 80's is bad too but thats for another discussion). I'm not saying that there wasn't anything good back then, but a lot of it was bad, or at least overrated. Its all so boring and the same, I swear.
johnwolennon
1,000 IQ
Quote by '93
well classic rock is kind of overrated...but at the same time it isnt

personally i think the 80s were overrated. i think that the pop was really horrible, with all those effects on the voice and stuff and 80s rock wasnt that great either. just a bunch of guys who could play their guitar fast

but you see...i gave reason :P

It's not all the 80s, but I know what type of music you're talking about. There's a lot of people that played fast just to show how fast they could play, which is impressive, but not that great musically.
johnwolennon
1,000 IQ
Quote by Joshua1207
Well most of the bands I listen to weren't influenced by Led Zep, Pink Floyd, etc so p sure I'd still have my music.
Talking about 60-70's being classic rock (although 80's is bad too but thats for another discussion). I'm not saying that there wasn't anything good back then, but a lot of it was bad, or at least overrated. Its all so boring and the same, I swear.

What bands do you listen to? There's a lot more bands in "classic rock" than Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd. I could go on for pages just listing the good bands from the 60s and 70s. Calling whole decades of music overrated is calling every single band or performer that released music then overrated.

Just the 60s-70s? What about the 50s? How much music from the 60s-70s have you listened to? If you think Pink Floyd, John Denver, and the Beach Boys sound the same, you can't tell differences.

Also, there's boring music and similar music no matter what decade it is, and there's a lot of crappy music made in every decade (including this one and the last one.)
johnwolennon
1,000 IQ
Quote by lookpizza
This thread is so terrible.

Then why comment on it?
lookpizza
Party Hard
1,566 IQ
If you saw a train crash you wouldn't say something like, "oh wow, that traincrash was terrible"?
I'm an asshole.
johnwolennon
1,000 IQ
Quote by lookpizza
If you saw a train crash you wouldn't say something like, "oh wow, that traincrash was terrible"?

I don't know, I've never seen a train crash.
Joshua1207
Hipster Jesus
1,804 IQ
Quote by johnwolennon
What bands do you listen to? There's a lot more bands in "classic rock" than Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd. I could go on for pages just listing the good bands from the 60s and 70s. Calling whole decades of music overrated is calling every single band or performer that released music then overrated.

Just the 60s-70s? What about the 50s? How much music from the 60s-70s have you listened to? If you think Pink Floyd, John Denver, and the Beach Boys sound the same, you can't tell differences.

Also, there's boring music and similar music no matter what decade it is, and there's a lot of crappy music made in every decade (including this one and the last one.)

I listen to a shitload of music. I'll list just a couple I guess: Sleigh Bells, Fang Island, Warpaint, Modest Mouse, Best Coast, The Liars, Mimicking Birds, Crystal Castles, Titus Andronicus, etc. I could list more, but I don't see what the point of it would be.

I'm talking about mainstream 60s-70s being overrated. I haven't listened to too much of the 60s-70s because its p boring. Nothing exciting really happened in music back then.
due 07
haaan
2,902 IQ
Quote by Joshua1207
I listen to a shitload of music. I'll list just a couple I guess: Sleigh Bells, Fang Island, Warpaint, Modest Mouse, Best Coast, The Liars, Mimicking Birds, Crystal Castles, Titus Andronicus, etc. I could list more, but I don't see what the point of it would be.

I'm talking about mainstream 60s-70s being overrated. I haven't listened to too much of the 60s-70s because its p boring. Nothing exciting really happened in music back then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7Nffq0bOgE

And one of the most best pop songs ever written was written in the 60s: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD95QaVTH1U

^Lawl, speaking of over-rated.
TrueBlues
43 IQ
Quote by Joshua1207

Boy, get your coat and leave, you are talking shit. I just listened to a Best Coast song on Youtube, so by your own admission, that qualifies me to talk about her entire back catalog. Now that was boring music. Have you ever heard of Stax? Motown? Atlantic? Chess?