I've been feeling really apathetic lately and haven't had any passion for my bass playing and haven't put any emotion in my playing. What should I do?
I don't really play a specific genre. Every since I quit my band I just been practicing skill/technique. And I can honestly say I don't "jerk off" at all.
put in emotion? dont just "practice skill/technique".

jam
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
I've been trying to jam with myself. But I just don't feel any emotion so I can't just put emotion into it.
stop playing for a while and find new music to listen to.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
But I can't stop playing. I mean, I want to get a lot better a whole lot faster than most people.

Also, I don't want to force myself to listen to new music when I currently enjoy the music I normally listen to.
Last edited by Rawshik at May 8, 2011,
Quote by Rawshik
I don't really play a specific genre. Every since I quit my band I just been practicing skill/technique. And I can honestly say I don't "jerk off" at all.

jerk off more?

for real though, what else do you do in your day to day life? I find that when I am heavily stuck in a rut musically I'm usually stuck in a rut when it comes to life in general.
no sir away a papaya war is on
I haven't done much in my life lately in fact. Nothing that would strike emotions anyways.

And I won't jerk off, I'm Christian.
Play with other people. Especially people who are more experienced/better then yourself. Or failing that, you could always look around the web and listen to other bassists and see if you run across anything that really inspires you.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Rawshik
I haven't done much in my life lately in fact. Nothing that would strike emotions anyways.

And I won't jerk off, I'm Christian.

well maybe thats what you should do. go experience something new. hang out with new people, gain new experiences, live a little. you can be the greatest songwriter in the world but if you have nothing to write about what good is it?
no sir away a papaya war is on
Alright thanks guys! I'll try to do some new things and change up my life a bit.

The problem with playing with others is that the only 2 guitarists that would actually play with me are just...boring to play with.
Join another band. Most people who say their town doesn't have a music scene just don't go out there 99.9% of the time. Not saying you are one of those people but that is what I see here on the forums and with people I know as well.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
I would suggest go to pandora.com and put a band you like in the thing and let it play, you might find something new and exciting that you want to play/will give you the drive to play. Or get/borrow a mulit effectpedal and play with that
Treat music like a language... when you talk you don't just talk for the sake of talking. Chances are when you say something, you are trying to express something. Whether its an idea, an emotion, ect... try treating music the same way... dont just play for the sake of playing. Have something to say!!!
Quote by MetlHed94

Well played, sir, well played.
Quote by Rawshik
I don't really play a specific genre. Ever since I quit my band I just been practicing skill/technique. And I can honestly say I don't "jerk off" at all.

Bingo
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.