Hey guys, this is my first forum post after looking at Nirvana tabs for a few weeks. So, here I go.

I'm just picking up the guitar. My brother taught himself, and told me to practice my open chords.

So I played the C chord - but my fingers have fat pads lol. I know this isn't the end-all, but its quite frustrating. He mentioned overtime, my muscles in my fingers get used to these positions, and calluses form overtime.

Are "fat finger pads" an issue when first picking up a guitar? Or does this happen to everybody. I'm running on a Strat, which may have a skinnier neck than others.

Thanks, all.
in short, yes. fat finger pads are an issue.

is it like your the other parts of your fingers deaden the sound of the other strings that should ring?

yeah just keep practicing and playing all those open chords and try to learn songs that have those chords in them.

so you have fun you know?

i've seen some sausage fingers play on jr size guitars and still shred face.
"Hey kid. You wanna cigarette?"

"No thanks! I/m already hooked on Fonicks!"

Quote by dkeenan
Hey guys, this is my first forum post after looking at Nirvana tabs for a few weeks. So, here I go.

I'm just picking up the guitar. My brother taught himself, and told me to practice my open chords.

So I played the C chord - but my fingers have fat pads lol. I know this isn't the end-all, but its quite frustrating. He mentioned overtime, my muscles in my fingers get used to these positions, and calluses form overtime.

Are "fat finger pads" an issue when first picking up a guitar? Or does this happen to everybody. I'm running on a Strat, which may have a skinnier neck than others.

Thanks, all.

Ignore the guy above, there's nothing wrong with your fingers at all, you're just crap.

This is fine though, if you're a beginner you start off crap, that's how it works: we were all crap when we'd practiced as much as you. Just keep practicing and playing and you'll find that it's actually not an issue at all.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Ignore the guy above, there's nothing wrong with your fingers at all, you're just crap.

This is fine though, if you're a beginner you start off crap, that's how it works: we were all crap when we'd practiced as much as you. Just keep practicing and playing and you'll find that it's actually not an issue at all.

^This..... my old guitar teacher had "shrek-like" fingers and he can shred like crazy. so thick fingers really don't matter, it's all about practice.
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
There is nothing wrong with fingers. It's all about proper practice. I've seen guys with fat short fingers play all the "strange chord shapes" and have no problem with it. What I suggest is to start fingering the chord shape without right hand actually playing the strings. Just focus on your left hand, slowly get the perfect position that all strings can vibrate well. Take left hand off and then reposition the shape again. Practice it slowing with left hand only before you get comfortable with the chord shape. When you are comfortable with the chord shape then add your right hand to play the strings.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

+1 It'll eventually sort itself out. It might actually help when you get to barre chords.
G(g)od was like: "Make you an ark of gopher wood; rooms shall you make in the ark, and shall pitch it within and without with pitch."

And i was like: "What's gopher wood?"
Everybody has fat fingers until they learn how to play chords properly.

Perhaps starting with an easier chord would help. A "C" isn't the easiest open chord to learn for your first one. I think that's still my worst open chord... I constantly fat finger it when I transition to it.

Maybe try an E minor or an A chord for your first one.

One tip I can give is to just sit there and hold the chord while you're watching TV or something equally dull. That's how I built my muscle memory... I just held the chord while I watched tv, and worked on strum patterns during commercials. I'd hold the chord for an hour or two each night, and after a couple nights, I found that I could just go pick up the guitar, and immediately grab that chord. After I knew a couple chords, then I'd silently practice my chord transitions, which is yet another hurdle to overcome. Just be patient, and use some "wasted" time like TV time to build that muscle memory.
lol I spent a lot of time learning while watching tv too. I often tell my students to practice holding chord shapes while watching tv. Works great for other repetitive exercises like scales too.

Another thing that might help is to hold the chord down and then play one string at a time. Once you find a string that isn't ringing try adjusting your fingers until it sounds. Then start all over plucking one string at a time.

In general, the fingertip of the fretting hand should be perpendicular to the fretboard (ie, pointing directly into the fretboard.) Make sure they are not laying flat against the strings as this tends to deaden them. Certain chords will break this rule but its a good point to keep in mind for most open chords.

Good luck.