I'm sure this has been posted a near uncountable number of times, but I didn't know what to put in the search bar.

When you pick fast, such as tremolo picking, it seems like I use my fingers to move the wrist, then when they get tired, I switch to using my wrist. I was wondering which is they way you're supposed to; should I strengthen my fingers or get used to only using my wrist?
la de da.
An addition to the question: when doing 4 string or longer sweeps, I move my whole arm down and up, but I know you're arm isn't supposed to move. Is this an exception?

Edit: And one more: When I palm mute, no matter whole slowly and relaxing I try to play, my picking hand tenses up a little unless I loosen my hand so much that I basically drop the pick. Is that a problem?

I apologize for all the noob questions, I'm just finally trying to correct all the bad technique I've been using for so long.
la de da.
Last edited by zgbgydug at May 8, 2011,

they are everywhere.
Internet trolls are like sap in trees. sticky and annoying, but good on pancakes.
well Ive only been playing like 2 weeks but I think you are supposed to move your arm.
just dont pick with the arm. I move my arm whenever its necessary to keep my wrist straight. If I didnt keep my wrist straight, Id lose range of motion in my wrist and end up with some goofy gooseneck shit like that guy from megadeth.
DONT PICK WITH YOUR ARM! Its a habit I'm trying to break. If you look at the fastest shredders in the world (MAB, world record speed guys on youtube) they pick with their fingers. However, people like Steve vai, Paul Gilbert, Buckethead, Joe Satriani pick with their wrist. It's really a matter of preference. The only really fast guitar player (to my knowledge) that picks from the elbow is Zakk Wylde. Also to answer the sweep question, Its alright to move your arm.
Last edited by mrwiggles35 at May 8, 2011,
Quote by zgbgydug
I'm sure this has been posted a near uncountable number of times, but I didn't know what to put in the search bar.

When you pick fast, such as tremolo picking, it seems like I use my fingers to move the wrist, then when they get tired, I switch to using my wrist. I was wondering which is they way you're supposed to; should I strengthen my fingers or get used to only using my wrist?

Stick with the wrist, it's the best set of muscles for the job.

Quote by zgbgydug
An addition to the question: when doing 4 string or longer sweeps, I move my whole arm down and up, but I know you're arm isn't supposed to move. Is this an exception?

The idea is that your wrist should do the actual picking motion and your arm moves your wrist to keep it at a good angle to the strings. Really you should be able to skip from, for example, the high E to the G string with just your wrist but only if you really have to and any movement that size or bigger should be done with your arm.

Quote by zgbgydug
Edit: And one more: When I palm mute, no matter whole slowly and relaxing I try to play, my picking hand tenses up a little unless I loosen my hand so much that I basically drop the pick. Is that a problem?

I apologize for all the noob questions, I'm just finally trying to correct all the bad technique I've been using for so long.

Yes, I don't know where you're getting this tension from but you should be able to palm mute without gaining any extra tension at all. Look at your posture and the way your hand/arm is positioned relative to the body and bridge of the guitar, I suspect there's something wrong there. If you can post a video of yourself we can make sure what's up though.

Quote by mrwiggles35
DONT PICK WITH YOUR ARM! Its a habit I'm trying to break. If you look at the fastest shredders in the world (MAB, world record speed guys on youtube) they pick with their fingers. However, people like Steve vai, Paul Gilbert, Buckethead, Joe Satriani pick with their wrist. It's really a matter of preference. The only really fast guitar player (to my knowledge) that picks from the elbow is Zakk Wylde. Also to answer the sweep question, Its alright to move your arm.

Actually the fastest pickers I can think of all pick with their wrist for the most part, MAB himself is one of them. He doesn't use his fingers to pick at all, I don't know where you got this idea from.

There are players who pick with the fingers (Takayoshi Ohmura) and some who pick with their arm (Rusty Cooley at his top speeds) but that's certainly not advised by anyone whose opinion is worth listening to.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
You should always pick with your wrist. Zaphod_Beeblebr is right.

Do not let the joints of your thumb and index finger do the job, it may work at first but you may injure yourself in the long run.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Here's just a short sample of palm muting.. It's probably pretty obvious that I have no idea what I'm doing. I just stopped anchoring yesterday after being told by everyone forever not to, and now it feels like I've lost about 2 years of skill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGHSdtUFikg
la de da.