I started to restring my Ibanez As120 and realized that there is a lot of sweat scum on the neck. I have two questions:

1. If I remove all six strings at the same time will the neck warp? It is a fixed bridge. I was always taught to restring one string at a time to avoid neck problems.

2. The fretboard is rosewood with square mother of pearl inlays. What should I use to clean it? Windex got some scum off but I don't know if it will screw up the wood or the inlays.

I didn't see these questions answered so sorry if this info is listed somewhere. Hoping for a quick, friendly and helpful response. Thanks guys!!
Guitars:
Gibson SG
'96 Fender Strat
Ibanez AS120

Amps:
100w All tube 2x12 custom

Effects:
Electro-Harmonix Q-Tron
EP Boost
Fulltone OCD
Ibanez TS9
RAH OD
Strymon Lex
Timeline
TC Trinity
Okay, haha as soon as I posted this I saw some info on cleaning. Use lemon oil. Got it. Still not sure about taking all of the strings off.
Guitars:
Gibson SG
'96 Fender Strat
Ibanez AS120

Amps:

Effects:
Electro-Harmonix Q-Tron
EP Boost
Fulltone OCD
Ibanez TS9
RAH OD
Strymon Lex
Timeline
TC Trinity
Your neck won't shit itself without its strings on. Go ahead and take them all off so you can do good work. Put the lemon oil (Which usually, if commercially bought, is mostly mineral oil) on your fingerboard liberally and allow it to sit for a minute or three. Then take a nice clean cloth diaper or something soft and durable, and start putting some elbow grease on that shit next to your frets and on the wood. Not only are you conditioning your rosewood, you're keeping it clean.

Don't worry about taking al of the strings off at once especially if you use 9s or 10s. I'm a professional, and I take em all off at once.
Thanks man!! Exactly what I needed!
Guitars:
Gibson SG
'96 Fender Strat
Ibanez AS120

Amps:

Effects:
Electro-Harmonix Q-Tron
EP Boost
Fulltone OCD
Ibanez TS9
RAH OD
Strymon Lex
Timeline
TC Trinity
Wow, I haven't really gone over this guitar in probably six years! Plays like a dream again!! I'm doing this to my strat next!!

I will be taking all of the strings off once again but this one has a trem bar. This will be a bit more tricky, correct? I'll do some searching but if anyone has tips for me I'd be glad to hear them.
Thanks!
Guitars:
Gibson SG
'96 Fender Strat
Ibanez AS120

Amps:

Effects:
Electro-Harmonix Q-Tron
EP Boost
Fulltone OCD
Ibanez TS9
RAH OD
Strymon Lex
Timeline
TC Trinity
For a strat you just take off the back plate, unwind the strings, then push them through the bridge. If you're putting new strings on it, it's easier to either cut the ball end off and pull the string up through the bridge, or cut the coiled part that was around the tuner off and pull it through the bridge that way.
Yes, rosewood.

As for the other post, not sure what you mean. I know how to get strings on and off of the thing. I'm wondering how it will affect the bridge as far as floating when I restring it. Should I screw the spring plate tighter once the strings are off so I have room to bring it out? Will it float the way it is now when I restring it? This guitar needs some loving so any help would be good.

Thanks!
Guitars:
Gibson SG
'96 Fender Strat
Ibanez AS120

Amps:

Effects:
Electro-Harmonix Q-Tron
EP Boost
Fulltone OCD
Ibanez TS9
RAH OD
Strymon Lex
Timeline
TC Trinity
Well you should know about how it reacts if youve restrung it before.

My experiences?
Just change them like youd normally. If its a floating trem (floyd style) then the string changing is a bit trickier but easy after you do it the first time. But strats usually have classic strat tremolos like yours probably so id just take the strings off, clean/condition the fretboard and put some new strings on.
Quote by flavaham
Yes, rosewood.

As for the other post, not sure what you mean. I know how to get strings on and off of the thing. I'm wondering how it will affect the bridge as far as floating when I restring it. Should I screw the spring plate tighter once the strings are off so I have room to bring it out? Will it float the way it is now when I restring it? This guitar needs some loving so any help would be good.

Thanks!

If it's a non-floating tremolo, it won't get all wonky on you.

It will only pull up when you re-string it if you change the gauge (and it might be pulled up a bit because of the lack of stretch in the new strings).
ittl be fine for the strat. you im pretty sure strats have a cutout on the backplate so you dont even need to take that off. only way that the neck warps without strings is like over a couple days/weeks.....doesnt happen instantly
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
use a little Murphy's Oil Soap (from the Grocery or discount store) and scrub away ...won't hurt a thing ...after wiping and drying, dress with a bit of lemon oil
Quote by EspTro
only way that the neck warps without strings is like over a couple days/weeks.....doesnt happen instantly

Yeah, and it won't happen at all if you don't have your truss rod tightened.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by 57tvjr
use a little Murphy's Oil Soap (from the Grocery or discount store) and scrub away ...won't hurt a thing ...after wiping and drying, dress with a bit of lemon oil

I've used the same with a soft bristle toothbrush.

Over time, the effects were not exactly what I desired.

My argument against household products is this: you spent good money on that guitar ... might as well spend some money taking care of it.

Now, I only use cleaner from Dunlop or Gibson ... I am sure there are plenty of others out there that work well too. But I try to avoid household products like Murphy's, glass cleaner, furniture cleaner.

Also -- keep in mind that Lemon oil is great for rosewood and ebony, but not recommended for maple -- and for good reason .. maple necks are usually sealed with lacquer and lemon oil will corrode that finish, expose the wood and cause problems.

HTH
Quote by Zen Skin
I've used the same with a soft bristle toothbrush.

Over time, the effects were not exactly what I desired.

My argument against household products is this: you spent good money on that guitar ... might as well spend some money taking care of it.

Now, I only use cleaner from Dunlop or Gibson ... I am sure there are plenty of others out there that work well too. But I try to avoid household products like Murphy's, glass cleaner, furniture cleaner.

Also -- keep in mind that Lemon oil is great for rosewood and ebony, but not recommended for maple -- and for good reason .. maple necks are usually sealed with lacquer and lemon oil will corrode that finish, expose the wood and cause problems.

HTH

I would certainly agree with the "finished" maple necks, and I guess i haven't ever seen an unfinished maple neck now that you mentioned it.
I have had good luck with the oil soap tho, but only if I used it undiluted and in tiny amounts. The Gibson reps at a Memphis guitar show recommended it to me years ago. They also recommended the hard to find these days Johnsons Liquid Gold which has no waxes or polishing agents. Seemed they were only used on restoration projects.

My own experience doesn't seem to involve a fretboard as damaged as flavaham's Ibanez.

peace brothers & sisters ...rock on