believe it or not, amps used to be geared towards one type of tone.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I guess simplicity mainly. I suppose in some ways less versatility, meaning with multiple channels you could have a higher gain setting, clean setting, or overdriven setting. If you like simplicity/to dial in a few settings, plug in and play (with or without pedals) then a one channel amp is for you
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson SG | Casio PG 380 | Dave Mustaine VMNT | Digitech Whammy | Carvin Legacy head |
Carvin V3 combo | MXR Custom Badass Overdrive | Dunlop Jerry Cantrell Wah | Rocktron Banshee | Ibanez PG Flanger
If your only going to use one channel, why do you need an extra 2 channels?
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Elite
Squier Strat
Fender Acoustic
Line 6 POD XT-Live
Blackstar HT-1 Combo
Quote by butterfingers30
If your only going to use one channel, why do you need an extra 2 channels?

good point but the only thing that annoys me about single channel amps is the fact that ill have to roll down my guitar volume to 1 in order to get a clean tone. with a 2 channel amp, its just a click away (on the footswitch, i mean). i can imagine that the transition from dirty sound to clean sound would be a less seamless than on a multiple channel amp, especially from the stage.
A lot of times amps with only one channel don't have to make any compromises to help out the other channel. A good example is the marshall jcm 800. Most people prefer the one channel version. The 2 channel version likely had to make some tonal compromises to make the clean channel usable.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by manubro1
good point but the only thing that annoys me about single channel amps is the fact that ill have to roll down my guitar volume to 1 in order to get a clean tone. with a 2 channel amp, its just a click away (on the footswitch, i mean). i can imagine that the transition from dirty sound to clean sound would be a less seamless than on a multiple channel amp, especially from the stage.

This is what pickup switches and guitar control schemes that don't suck (Fender/PRS, I'm looking at you) are for...

Quote by InanezGuitars44
The 2 channel version likely had to make some tonal compromises to make the clean channel usable.

Namely, that it didn't work.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
cheaper

easier and more to the point. geared towards one thing, so possibly better at that one thing than others.

really, i mean a single channel amp can do what a two channel amp does with an overdrive pedal and utilizing the guitars volume.
Quote by Nelsean
Lil B, the young based god, has the ability to create music so profound, that others around him cannot even comprehend his magnificent verbal progressive nature.

Quote by The_Blode
^ oh hey y'all females...welcome !
Quote by manubro1
good point but the only thing that annoys me about single channel amps is the fact that ill have to roll down my guitar volume to 1 in order to get a clean tone.

You've probably got your guitar volume set way too high when your doing your initial set up then. Set your guitar volume to 5 or so and then set it to just about where you want most of your tone to be. I've used many single channel amps and this almost always works for me. If your looking for super high gain then a single channel amp won't work for you unless you use a pedal most of the time though.

I personally would rather have a really nice clean channel that I can layer guitar pedals on top of rather than have a crappy clean channel.
I only use one channel on my two channel amp, I use the clean channel and use pedals for dirt
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
ya true that. most of the amps in the budget range...the clean channels are just throwaways. a proper multichannel amp has an extra channels worth of tubes, pots, components etc.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
i dont even know what the clean channels sound like on my splawns.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by darkwolf291
I like one channels.
Mainly because I'm gonna use a SS for cleans anyway, so why have the other channel if I'm not gonna use it?
I prefer SS to tube for cleans.

whats SS?
Solid Shit
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

Quote by darkwolf291
Roland Jazz Chorus beyatch

The Jazz Chorus is quite nice. I liked it quite a bit, but I ended up going with something else. It was amazing but it seemed to lack a little something compared to the Brown Deluxe I was playing at the time.
Quote by darkwolf291
Roland Jazz Chorus beyatch

Fender
Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
Quote by darkwolf291
I prefer Solid state for most of my cleans.
My bluesy stuff I like tube though.

Every solid state I played the cleans sounded a bit sterile. And that includes the Jazz Chorus. Maybe I just didn't eq it right, but I just didn't think they were that good. Good by solid state standards yeah, but compared to tube, not really.
Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
Quote by darkwolf291
Exactly why I like it.
I like sterile, thinner cleans.

Ah, now I understand. Unless you're being sarcastic...
Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
Quote by bubb_tubbs
This is what pickup switches and guitar control schemes that don't suck (Fender/PRS, I'm looking at you) are for...

i don't follow.

maybe you need a new amp.
Quote by gregs1020
i don't follow.

maybe you need a new amp.

3 knobs isn't enough for individual volume/tone controls for neck and bridge. As far as I'm aware, they only have a handful of models with 4.

They need to get with the program.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
3 knobs isn't enough for individual volume/tone controls for neck and bridge. As far as I'm aware, they only have a handful of models with 4.

ok that i get. though i've never really missed it on the priss, i do use it on the lester.

i thought you meant they don't clean up amps well with the volume knob. and that i think they do very well.
Quote by bubb_tubbs

wait what's on the neck.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
frets.

move along.
You can buy a pad pedal so you don't have to use your guitar's volume control. Just kick it in to attenuate the input signal. They are just a simple resistive attenuator that goes between guitar and amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
you can make a volume pot in a box too, the most simple pedal you can make haha
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

Quote by lbj273

And just stick a bypass switch on it. Bada bing bada boom, instant second channel.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
exactly
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

Quote by lbj273

could you guys elaborate on this a bit please?
One of these:

click the pic
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A