I have the chance to pick up a Gibson Victory Bass Standard for 300 bucks. How much is one really worth? Its in supposedly good cosmetic and working condition. Has anyone played one before?
i know absolutely nothing about them, but I looked them up and they look cool as hell.
no sir away a papaya war is on
ive seen those posted in places up to 700$. Dont know how good they are but i'd say thats a deal
My Gear:

Fretless Squier P Bass
Ibanez SR400QM
Gallien Krueger 1001RB
Traynor TC410
Digitech Whammy
Boss DD-7
I just looked em up. They're freaking cool looking and worth more than that. If you like how it plays and you've got the cash I'd say go for it.
Thanks everyone. Its a sweet antique gold color too which kinda adds to the "vintage" look. Ill make sure I check it out
My art teacher in high school had one of these, nice bass, nice deep sound, but it was and still is the heaviest bass I've ever played in my life, heavier than my old Spector and that thing weighed a tonne too. If weight's an issue for you, I don't recommend it at all.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by consecutive e
My art teacher in high school had one of these, nice bass, nice deep sound, but it was and still is the heaviest bass I've ever played in my life, heavier than my old Spector and that thing weighed a tonne too. If weight's an issue for you, I don't recommend it at all.

I'm fine with weight but thanks for mentioning it. Just need to find me a nice comfy strap...
I played one a while back at a friends house it was a great bass though it was a bit on the heavy side.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
I'll slap you through the internet if you don't pick it up!

Even if you don't like it you can flip it and make a profit.

I LOVE the Victory series. I like the Victory Artist a tad more... but the standard is JUST as sweet.

Best known Victory bass... The Victory Artist in the battle of the bands scene in Back To The Future:

Also, here's some additional info on them: http://www.flyguitars.com/gibson/bass/Victory.php

FWIW: I've played a Victory standard... it looks and sounds like a Peavey T-20/first year Peavey Fury, but a liiiiittle darker. Still, both are heavey basses... hope you have a strong back and a good strap! So... if you don't like the feel, but dig the Victory Standard sound... look for a T-20, as they can still be found for pretty cheap from ignorant sellers. I got mine for $120 WITH a hardshell case! You CAN get the first year Fury, before they switched to the split P pickup... but they're pretty rare...
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Last edited by Din of Win at May 9, 2011,
Quote by Din of Win

Best known Victory bass... The Victory Artist in the battle of the bands scene in Back To The Future:

LOL that movie is epic. Thanks for the info
^along with a lot of the other guys, I haven't even heard of it until I looked it up, but it looks so much better than most of Gibson's bass offerings: Shape that won't cause neck dive, 34 inch scale, and a bolt on reinforced neck, so it's less likely to warp, but cheaper to fix if it does.

Bridge looks pretty sturdy, and like it'd be much less likely to pop off than the typical gibson/epiphone three point bridges, but having only three screws still makes me nervous. If There was one in decent shape for $300 and I had the cash, I'm sure I'd grab it!