Well, after flopping between a 7 and an 8 for months, I've decided to get a 7. I don't know if I need that low F#, and if I feel I need to attain the br00tz, I'll just tune down.

Anyways, a few things spec wise I would like:

- Wizard-ish neck - I've tried a RG7321. the neck was good, just a touch too thin. Thinking like a 15.5" radius. 16" is fine too.
- Hardtail/ Not a Floyd Rose
- H-H config.
- Non-glossed back - So, a satin finish I guess?
- Non-mahogany - Love the mahogany-mahogany on my C-1, but at times its just too bassy and dark. I'm thinking like swamp ash or something? More on the warmer side of the neutral tone-woods, if that makes sense.
- Longer than 25.5" scale

-Preferably not from Rondo

For about $600-$700

With that, I was thinking of an RGD7321, or some kind of RGxxxXL. You guys have any other suggestions?
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Last edited by AWACS at May 9, 2011,
You'll be hard-pressed to find one with a satin finish on the back... I guess you could always sand it down if it bothered you THAT much.

I would suggest an RG7621 or 7421.

Any RG with an XL at the end means it's a baritone, so that wouldn't fit the 25.5" scale requirement.
Look for a used RG1527. You can probably find one on Craigslist or eBay for around your price range. Or for cheaper (and still great quality) go for an RG7620/7621 stock or an RG7420/7421 and swap the pickups out. You'll get a lot more bang for your buck.
Last edited by The Knife at May 8, 2011,
OP is edited.

To clarify, I want an unpainted neck, or just not glossed, like many Schecter's. And I wanted something whose scale was longer than 25.5".

Thanks.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Check out these Carvin 7s:

http://www.carvinguitars.com/customshop/sevenstring.php

The ones depicted are slightly out of your price range, but they also have options on them you may not want- ditching the trem saves you $70 right off the bat- which could get them down in your price range.

Even if not, you might be able to find a used one that is.

And Carvin makes quality guitars.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at May 9, 2011,
Quote by AWACS
OP is edited.

To clarify, I want an unpainted neck, or just not glossed, like many Schecter's. And I wanted something whose scale was longer than 25.5".

Thanks.

Doesn't look edited to me...

Anyways, yeah. Ibanez necks are satin, I believe. You could go for an XL model, but you have to find it first.

And then you'd have to duel everyone on SevenString.org to the death to get the chance to buy it.
Quote by Pac_man0123
And then you'd have to duel everyone on SevenString.org to the death to get the chance to buy it.

A used Carvin is your best bet as of now, methinks.

EDIT: OR a used Schecter Jeff Loomis, if you can find someone who's willing to sell. Loomis owners love their Loomies to death.
Last edited by TubeAmp89 at May 9, 2011,
Shame you want the longer scale otherwise the LTD MH-417 would be just about perfect. It does have mahogany body wings too but on a neck-through guitar the body wings are of almost no importance. Otherwise you're looking at either the LTD SC-607B which has a middle pickup instead of a neck one or any of the Schecters and either case you'd just have to settle for either wearing the top coat of the finish off the back of the neck or you'd want to take some wet&dry sandpaper to it.
Quote by TubeAmp89

EDIT: OR a used Schecter Jeff Loomis, if you can find someone who's willing to sell. Loomis owners love their Loomies to death.

+1 The Loomis NT fits most of TS's requirements pretty well, it's a shame it's a bit over budget.
The Loomis is a bit over budget yes, but I dont like the neck at all.

I built a pretty well spec'd carvin too, but it still came out to $1400.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Quote by TubeAmp89

I have a Loomis, and while its a quality guitar, it is not what I thought it would be. My 7th string has a little rattle and for the price it needs a tone knob. Don't get me wrong, its a good guitar, just not worth 900 bucks.

...I'd really like a JPX 7 string
Yeah honestly your best bet would probably be to snag a RG7621/7421. It doesn't fit the baritone criteria, but it fits the rest of the criteria better than any guitar can.

I didn't like Ibanez when I had only played their guitars with Wizard-II necks. I tried my friend's RG7620 and fell in love. Since then I've realized that the MIJ necks are much better than the Wizard-II. Trust me, you'll love it if you found the Wizard-II a bit uncomfortable.

And still, you can get a guitar with a neck profile similar to an Ibanez, but nothing plays like an Ibanez except an Ibanez.