So I'm moving to a dorm in a very quiet, conservative new town 1000 miles away because I got a killer scholarship offer after 2 years of worthless community college. The people who run this new place are a (freaky) group of meditators who live the majority of their lives in silence.

Anyway, I can tell these people won't take kindly to my rig at all. This IS my practice rig (in my sig). Volume at .75 on both amps will shake a small room. Go below that, and my tone takes a shit. I know what you're thinking.... **** 'em. But I HAVE to stay on these peoples's good side, they are giving me free tuition, a place to stay and a decent paying job. But NOTHING will make me give up guitar. I'm ****ing addicted at this point.

Basically I need something to allow me to practice in silence (via headphones?). WITH GOOD TONE!!!!!!!! **** those VST's, Amplitube, Guitar Rig, etc. None of that crap sounds like the real thing. I'm open to any suggestions, but don't want to pay too much... I'm already insulted at having to downgrade.

If this is in the wrong section, feel free to move it.

EDIT: I play a little bit of everything. I like good cleans. But I mostly play progressive thrash-metal. With a side of Djent.
Guitars:
-Agile Interceptor Pro 7-string
-PRS SE Standard

Amps:
-Bugera 6262 2x12 combo
-B-52 AT-100

Pedals (rarely used):
-Digitech Whammy
-BBE Green Screamer OD
-Morley Bad Horsie 2 wah

Home made cabinets and cables
Last edited by J☺e at May 9, 2011,
I own the GNX4 and TonePort UX2. Both are fine with headphones for practice, but neither will get you "real" tone, if you absolutely must have that when you practice. Another option, and what I use now, is the Bugera V-5. It has an attenuator for 5-1-.1 watts. .1 isn't great but 1w is surprisingly good. And it only costs about $150.
Wow, that youtube POD link impressed me. I'll have to check those out! As well as the Bugera, I definitely wouldn't mind having another one of those in the family.
Guitars:
-Agile Interceptor Pro 7-string
-PRS SE Standard

Amps:
-Bugera 6262 2x12 combo
-B-52 AT-100

Pedals (rarely used):
-Digitech Whammy
-BBE Green Screamer OD
-Morley Bad Horsie 2 wah

Home made cabinets and cables
I looooved my Vox AC4TV, and it can be set for 4, 1, or 1/2 watt (I think its 1/2, I forget) but it definitely has a very distinct tone to it. If it's just for you to listen to yourself play, I say get a POD or a Digitech pedal or something else fun so you can dink around with effects and amp modeling and whatnot.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
A friend recently got the VOX AC4TV (it is 1/2 watt, btw) sounds great.

I'm not a Line 6 fan and have no need to rehearse in silence usually, but I would consider the latest POD as I have heard good things, especially regarding practicing in peace and quiet.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
I really like my amplug but if you are after something that sounds like a tube amp then it is not for you.
The biggest problem you may have with VST's may simply be the quality of your headphones. Get yourself a nice set of AKG's or something.
People seem to be liking the Pod HD's but I haven't used one so I won't comment.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Pocketpod and some decent headphones? shouldnt set you back too much.

i found the amplugs a bit lacking imo.

for recording and practicing along with songs when its late i use a line 6 UX1 with Podfarm. works well for me, needs a lot of tweaking and some really decent headphones mind you.
Such is posting in Soviet Russia