Hey guys,
About a week back i was playing a gig and my amp decided to be a nub and blew. The venue for some reason had a backup so I was ok but it kind of opened my eyes. Im now looking at using a Pod X3 or HD for EFFECTS ONLY! through my tube amp and then if this were to ever happen again i would just turn amp simulation on and plug the xlr from my stage mic into my board.

Is this a viable option? What board would you get (x3,HD300,HD400,HD500? Am I wasting my time? I dont want a debate about the pro's and cons of amp simulation because I'm well aware of them. Also keep in mind i would rather spend as little money as possible so thats why i mentioned the X3.

Its for alternative rock. Lots of cleans, heavy reverb and some crunch from time to time.
Do you want mostly effects with an afterthought of having amp simulation? Or amp simulation with some bare-bones effects? Or middle of the road?

If it was me, I'd do Line 6 M9 or M13 (effects only, no amp simulation) and a small backup amp or a Digitech pedal (I think they mostly all have amp simulation and direct out, the RP355 and up have XLR out too. However, that said, I recommended the M9/M13 to anyone with a pulse.

I gigged awhile back with a Digitech RP500, it worked well and sounded decent. The interface just didn't work well with my thought process (for lack of a better way to say it)>
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Im using amp simulation as an afterthought. Though it will probably get used a few times a year when I have to fly to gigs. The digitech RP series has never been my cup of tea. had an RP-250 for a while.

I've looked at the m9 and m13 but im trying to get away from tap dancing on my board. The reason i would use a floor pod is because i could just hit one button to get the effects chain I need rather then 3 or 4........
I'd go with an HD400 or higher. I'm probably gonna be getting one soon too, and if I can find a good deal I'll go for a 500, but I'll settle for the 400 if the others are too high. Seems to me that the options you gain going from the -300 to the -400 are enough to warrant the extra cash. Plus I'm buying used, so the price jump probably won't be too bad.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
IIRC the HD models have M9/13 fx on them, exact same thing, and I thought the amp sims were pretty damn good considering what's out there in the same price range. Are they as good as a real tube amp? I'll let you be the judge (I didn't think they were THAT good), but are they good enough for a backup situation like you described? yeah, pretty great for that.

YMMV, but I wasn't blown away by the clean tones I was getting when I demo'd a HD500, ok, but far from great. High gain is where it shines.

if you plan on using more than 4 fx at a time (to include things like a compressor, eq, etc.) then look at the 500. it allows you to use up to 8 simultaneously, and also allows you to run two different signal paths (much like POD Farm). They go for about $500 new, $400ish used (too recent a release to often find it cheaper), and would probably give you better results for the $$$.
That actually seems like a really good idea. I have an M9 and I love it so I think that you would be happy with one of the Pods.
Quote by GrisKy
IIRC the HD models have M9/13 fx on them, exact same thing, and I thought the amp sims were pretty damn good considering what's out there in the same price range. Are they as good as a real tube amp? I'll let you be the judge (I didn't think they were THAT good), but are they good enough for a backup situation like you described? yeah, pretty great for that.

YMMV, but I wasn't blown away by the clean tones I was getting when I demo'd a HD500, ok, but far from great. High gain is where it shines.

if you plan on using more than 4 fx at a time (to include things like a compressor, eq, etc.) then look at the 500. it allows you to use up to 8 simultaneously, and also allows you to run two different signal paths (much like POD Farm). They go for about $500 new, $400ish used (too recent a release to often find it cheaper), and would probably give you better results for the $$$.

The 500 appears to be the ticket as far as effects chains are concerned. I would definitely use close to 7 or 8 at a time.

Just to be clear can I program the buttons on the board to pedal chain presets i make so im not tap dancing turning 3 things on and off?
Yes you can, though it sounds like you wuold defo need the 500 which is also the most gig friendly IMO

if you want some ideas of what the HD sounds like, check my "I can play" link for some decent clips.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb