Recently acquired a Framus Cobra 100watt head, and currently running it through a Crate 4x10 cab, but all I get is a 'buzz saw' sound. I'm looking for a cab that will bring the best out of the head, for a very crisp high gain sound, without mudding up.

Any recs?
What's your budget?
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
I think that if you can pick up a used cobra cab, you will make out the best. I don't claim to be an expert, but I assume the people at Framus knew something when they loaded the cab with Greenbacks. I would also suggest looking at Avatar cabs loaded with Greenbacks. I don't have much experience with the cobra, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
1000$$$ For a cab holy shit
get a mesa recto 2x12 or an engl pro 2x12 with celeston 60 speakers
Gear:
Peavey 6505 120W Head
Ibanez Rga32 (FOR SALE)
Laney Lv412a Cab(FOR SALE)
Soon To Get::
Boss DD20
Morley Bad Horsie II
You can get a used Mills Acoustics 4x12 for that much. Or you could get a custom built Emperor 4x12, actually. That's what I'd do. Beautiful cabs, sound great, and aren't all that expensive.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
The cabs designed for use with the Cobra are loaded with Celestion G12M Greenbacks, so I'd say a cab with G12Ms would be a place to start looking.
Not a troll. Just trying to get this damn head to sound right. Sounded fine through the cab it was tested through when I got it, brought it back, and was sorely disappointed. Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Keep em coming so I can find the best one available on my budget.
Mills Acoustic or Emperor cabs for sure
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Any of the above, or even the Framus cab with V30s. Cheap and nice, just a bit thin on the tolex.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
Wait... you're running it through a 4x10? Are you sure that isn't a bass cab? If it is, there's your problem.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
I'd probably go with the cab that was made for it, or a clone of it. Which cab did you play it with when you tested it? I can't imagine it being over $1000.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
Quote by FrustratedRocka
Wait... you're running it through a 4x10? Are you sure that isn't a bass cab? If it is, there's your problem.

+1 i was thinking the same thing.

also agree on the mills, port city, emperor stuff.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
what cab did you test it though?
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
The matching Framus cab is the best cab for those amps, period.

A VHT/Fryette with P50Es comes close, but the Cobra isn't like most metal amps, that sound their best with V30s.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Earcandy Cabs

I can actually reccomend those now!
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
In addition to everyone elses recommendations look at Whitebox.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Please refer to my last post before you read anyone else's... since I'm fairly sure I'm the only person in this thread who has actually owned a Cobra before
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Please refer to my last post before you read anyone else's... since I'm fairly sure I'm the only person in this thread who has actually owned a Cobra before

i had one for a little while there chief
Guitars
Amps
Quote by Matt15f
i had one for a little while there chief

You didn't make any contribution as to what cab he should get though chief
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by deepsal
1000$$$ For a cab holy shit
get a mesa recto 2x12 or an engl pro 2x12 with celeston 60 speakers

Those are the two most overpriced cabs on the market, besides their 4x12 siblings.
Quote by Tedward
Those are the two most overpriced cabs on the market, besides their 4x12 siblings.

Are you sure? I've seen mesa cabs for 300 bucks and I think that is a fair price for a 4x12.
Dude I know how you feel. I had to run my Mark IV through a Crate 4x12 for the longest time. Such a nasty sound. I sold it recently and I ordered a Whitebox 2x12 about a month ago. Still haven't seen it.

As for the Cobra, I know people say V30's aren't the best for them, but that's was KSE used on The End of Heartache and that's definitely in my top list of heavy tones. I guess it just depends on what you're going for.
Quote by Ignite
As for the Cobra, I know people say V30's aren't the best for them, but that's was KSE used on The End of Heartache and that's definitely in my top list of heavy tones. I guess it just depends on what you're going for.

The Cobra can sound great with V30s, don't get me wrong, but it sounds much better with Greenbacks IMO. No nasally high-end, much less fizz and a tighter lowend, with a midrange that sits just right in the mix.

The difference is, in a recording, the V30s might be favorable, as they tend to track very well, with little effort. The Greenbacks will take more getting used to on mic placement, and if you don't know what you're doing, it can end up bad

KSE only used a Cobra on "The Rose of Sharyn" and the rest of that album was a Dragon. Completely different amps.

Still much prefer As Daylight Dies though, as my favorite album with Howard on it... But Jesse pwns Howard, so much so that I can't listen to them much anymore cause I can't stand Howard's voice

Times of Grace FTMFW!
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at May 10, 2011,