Okay, sooo I have a pretty cheap Ashton AG131. It's my first guitar and I've had it for like two years, cause I'm lazy and haven't been bothered to upgrade.

Anyway, I'm saving to upgrade. Brands in mind are Ibanez RGs, Jacksons or ESP. Schecters seem a bit expensive for me.. So yeah, I just want to know which kind of guitar would suit me best? I don't really want to go over NZD$600-700, but it depends how value-for-money the guitar is. Also, I've heard that EMG pups are good for the style of music I'm into, so guitars that come with those would be preferable too.

I'm into bands mainly like Inhale/Exhale, As I Lay Dying, Bring Me The Horizon, The Devil Wears Prada, Modern Day Escape, Motionless In White, Miss May I, Bullet For My Valentine, Sea Of Treachery, Asking Alexandria, Escape The Fate, Blessthefall, A Skylit Drive, Smile Empty Soul, Snow White's Poison Bite, Sleeping With Sirens, Paramore, Thousand Foot Krutch, Senses Fail, Set Your Goals etc etc.

My AG131 came with an Ashton GA10, but I upgraded that and I'm now running my AG131 through a Vox AD30VT-XL and a Vox/Joe Satriani Satchurator distortion pedal. I LOVE this pedal and though it did cost a bit, I reckon it does a pretty good job with my AG131. Adds WAY more low end distortion to it than the amp's presets and gain gives it.

I don't really play clean much, but there is the odd clean intro/bridge of a song that I'll play, and those usually have like a bit of delay or reverb in them. Though, the amp's built-in effects normally covers that well enough for me.

Also, I'm looking into a relatively inexpensive, value-for-money kind of pedal that would help me. I've heard that the Boss MT-2 and ML-2 are pretty good, but are a little pricey, in my opinion, as well as the Digitech Death Metal pedal. But then again, I have only been playing for two years, so what would you say? Any other suggestions?

Basically, I'm on a low budget, but I'm after good quality.

Thanks heeeaaaaps. ^^
I would look at saving your money and buying maybe a used 5150 combo or something along those lines instead of spending money on anything else at this point except a new guitar. I have an AD50VT, non XL and I like it for what it can give me. I mainly use it as a practice amp in situations where my Dual Rec is just too big. I would suggest upgrading your guitar more at this point than buying a new amp or pedals. I think this also depends on how much you gig, since you didn't mention that in your original post.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
I personally don't think Jacksons are worth the money (unless you get a really high-end one. Then they're worth every dollar.) ESP/LTD make some great models for cheap with great pickups in 'em. Ibanez will get you a good shreddy guitar, but doesn't provide much for low end chug that you're looking for. Honestly, I'd recommend the Epiphone Prophecy series. Amazing guitars, and definitely built for metal.

These are just generalizations. You can find an Ibanez that's good for metal, and will probably find some shitty LTD's/ESP's. But for the most part, that's my advice.
Quote by FLCLcowdude
I would look at saving your money and buying maybe a used 5150 combo or something along those lines instead of spending money on anything else at this point except a new guitar. I have an AD50VT, non XL and I like it for what it can give me. I mainly use it as a practice amp in situations where my Dual Rec is just too big. I would suggest upgrading your guitar more at this point than buying a new amp or pedals. I think this also depends on how much you gig, since you didn't mention that in your original post.

I don't really gig much, just jam sessions with the friends etc and thrashing in the garage, that kind of thing.

I think I will stick with the AD30VT-XL. What kind of guitars would you recommend for me that would suit my style and budget ?