Page 1 of 4
The name says it all. What is UG's most hated tone by Metal bands? Try to be a little diverse here. Deathcore and Metalcore are also welcome, but let's try and keep it a little diverse.

I'll start off.

I know it's live, but Lamb of God's Killadelphia album. I cannot stand the tone. There's so much goddamn twang, it sounds like either Will or Mark is playing a strat on the crunch channel of an amp. Can't listen to it for more than 10 seconds.
From what I have gathered, Slayer has a really bad tone.

Let alone when I saw them live, its just a huge wall of sounds, near indistinguishable...
Born of Osiris' album A Higher Place is pretty damned bad

'08 Ibanez S5470 Prestige
Gibson SG Special - discontinued teal finish
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier
4x12 Mesa Oversized Slanted Cab
BOSS TU-2
iSP Decimator
Quote by deafening
Born of Osiris' album A Higher Place is pretty damned bad

I've never liked the production on that album...the new one however is awesome.

Bring me the Horizon's first album had some god awful tone too
For me, it's any Black Metal album, except for Mayhem's De Mysteriis Dom Satanhas. The drum and guitar tones are amazing.
I can only listen to so many breakdowns and "spoken word" vocals before I wanna puke.

I find Jennette McCurdy attractive, but Elizabeth Gillies and Debby Ryan much more so.

That's enough, Djent people. We get it.
Black Metal is intentionally produced badly though, so while it sounds terrible I'd rather hear that than a band who thinks their tone is ear sex when it sounds like mud butt
Quote by zhunt1130
Black Metal is intentionally produced badly though, so while it sounds terrible I'd rather hear that than a band who thinks their tone is ear sex when it sounds like mud butt

This is something I've never understood

And I guess I'd have to say most early thrash albums sound ****ing terrible
Quote by JTNorquay
The name says it all. What is UG's most hated tone by Metal bands? Try to be a little diverse here. Deathcore and Metalcore are also welcome, but let's try and keep it a little diverse.

I'll start off.

I know it's live, but Lamb of God's Killadelphia album. I cannot stand the tone. There's so much goddamn twang, it sounds like either Will or Mark is playing a strat on the crunch channel of an amp. Can't listen to it for more than 10 seconds.

Really? For a live show, I thought that the tone was pretty good. Usually the tone has too much treble.
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
Anything by Cannibal Corpse, and really don't like any of Metallica's tones to be honest. They're just really bland compared to other bands.
Quote by JetPackBlues
This is something I've never understood

The first wave of black was only popular in the underground scenes, so the bands didn't have much money to spend on recording. To save up what little income they did get from playing, they recorded their albums themselves in their basements, etc., or paid for low quality production in a studio. A good example would be the album Rex by Darkthrone.

The second wave of black was more popular , but a lot of the bands felt the need to use poorer production in order to stick to their roots. During this wave, most of the bands from the first wave improved their production quality to the current standards. This is where most black metal remains today, and honestly, I don't think it's that bad, it's just something you have to get used to.

Now, there is a third wave of black. These guys are typically ridiculed by the rest of the black metal community because they use good quality production, and that takes away the whole underground effect (or something like that). The only third wave bands I can think of off the top of my head are Melechesh and Lord Belial.

Note: I'm not an expert on metal, I just got bored one day and Wiki'd black metal. Also, TS, you say you want diversity from metalcore and deathcore, yet in the OP, you point out an album by Lamb of God, which is a metalcore band.
I honestly can't think of anything that doesn't have a decent tone OTS, but the Darkthrone album I mentioned above has the worst production I have ever heard.

EDIT: My apologies, the album is called Goatlord. Rex is just one of the songs on it.
Well, I think I'll go turn myself off an' go on down
All the way down...
Really ain't no use in me hanging around
You know what I'm trying to say
Music, sweet music
I wish I could caress, and-a kiss
Manic Depression is a fustrating mess
Last edited by jazar94 at May 9, 2011,
Quote by Pac_man0123
Nile
Cannibal Corpse
Pantera
Metallica
Rammstein
Mastodon
Nirvana
Megadeth
Dethklok
Children of Bodom

They aren't all terrible, but none of them are good.

Really? You think all of those bands have bad tone? CC's dirty tone is perfect for their style, and I love Rammstein's heavy "chugga chugga" tone. Metallica's tone when they were good was awesome too, Mesa Boogie FTW!
Quote by Ironic Maiden
wat

Too trebly, noisy, and saturated in my opinion.

Quote by Pingis_Or_Death
Really? You think all of those bands have bad tone? CC's dirty tone is perfect for their style, and I love Rammstein's heavy "chugga chugga" tone. Metallica's tone when they were good was awesome too, Mesa Boogie FTW!

Cannibal Corpse's tone isn't "dirty," it's just a downright awful and harsh mess. Rammstein's isn't terrible, but it's also very harsh. Metallica's tone on their old albums was also pretty harsh. It may fit their music, but I don't like it. I guess I wouldn't call it "unbearable," but they aren't very good.

I'm kind of a Tone Nazi, though.

If you scoop your mids, I will find you. And kill you.

Yeah Metallica's tone has never been up to much. Too much treble, not enough mids. That's a running theme with lots of metal though. Megadeth are similar offenders.

Worst tone has to go to Dimebag though. I know people love to suck him off now that he's dead but really the guy's tone was utter wank and it's hilarious that there is so much Dimebag signature gear around now when he was the last person that anyone should take gear advice from, putting aside the fact that he didn't use most of the stuff that now has his name on. Appreciate his playing by all means but when we're talking about tone he has to be right near the bottom of the barrel.
Quote by winterXsolstice
black dahlia murder

Might I introduce you to the door? Get out.
Squier Strat
Squier Classic Vibe Duo-Sonic
Jay Turser JT-220
Fender Frontman 65r

What can I say? I like cheap gear.
Quote by JonnyMonster91

Seriously, The Black Dahlia Murder has one of my favorite metal tones.
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
Gosh...

Slayers live tone is just a huge wall of sound and I hate it.

BUT:
Metallica
Megadeth
Dimebag
COB

ALL have good tones IMO! Dimebags tone was just pretty much what he tried to go for and it sounds heavy as hell, and the other 3 bands, I just like their tones. SRSLY!
Pantera/Damageplan, Slayer, and the worst of the worst, Ted Maul
Such is posting in Soviet Russia
I'd like to add, Reign in Blood by Slayer has a very good tone, given it was made in 1985 and production has advanced alot since then.

Also, the guy who said TBDM is a complete idiot. Nobody speak to him for the next month, even if he was just going by their raw ass debut album.
Well, I think I'll go turn myself off an' go on down
All the way down...
Really ain't no use in me hanging around
You know what I'm trying to say
Music, sweet music
I wish I could caress, and-a kiss
Manic Depression is a fustrating mess
I hate Five Finger Death Punch's tone. It's the weediest crap I've ever heard, at least on Way of the Fist, haven't listened to the second album
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Quote by JonnyMonster91

lolopinion?
Such is posting in Soviet Russia
Look up any death metal, black metal, whathaveyou metal band, check out their earlier recordings and cringe.

Early Obituary springs to mind.
There is no such thing as a 'perfect tone'. You can only speak of tones that fit a certain genre well, like trebly 80's hair metal, scooped poser-metal, fairly balanced but still production-ridden thrash metal (bass, simply not enough volume), and many other things about other genres. Like pop songs with buckets full of delay and reverb that sound incredibly complicated and impressing while it's 4 notes every 3 seconds, to give an example.
I will say Metallica's first few albums were rough for me because I love hearing the bass. I wish they could revisit those albums with today's technology.
Gear List

Gibson Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Les Paul Classic
Oscar Schmitt OE30

Orange Rockerverb 50

Gas List

Gibson Firebird
Quote by winterXsolstice
ac/dc

Quote by Pac_man0123
Nirvana

If AC/DC and Nirvana are Metal, than I have definitely been listening to the wrong kind of music.

But for serious, Nirvana did have really terrible tone.

Quote by jazar94
*Very well thought out exposition on the nature of recording for Black Metal that is too long to seriously quote without me looking like an asshat*

Exactly, and to be honest this has pretty much been true for Rock music in general. It started out as this low-fidelity dance music that eventually got overproduced into disco, then retaliated to the over-production with punk which got over produced into "new-wave" (think 80's music) which then grunge happened, and so on and so forth. All genres of rock are still following in those basic cycle of overproduction and rebellion.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
The brownsound has gotten on my nerves recently.
Too many mids + Marshall =
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
Quote by jazar94
The first wave of black was only popular in the underground scenes, so the bands didn't have much money to spend on recording. To save up what little income they did get from playing, they recorded their albums themselves in their basements, etc., or paid for low quality production in a studio. A good example would be the album Rex by Darkthrone.

The second wave of black was more popular , but a lot of the bands felt the need to use poorer production in order to stick to their roots. During this wave, most of the bands from the first wave improved their production quality to the current standards. This is where most black metal remains today, and honestly, I don't think it's that bad, it's just something you have to get used to.

Now, there is a third wave of black. These guys are typically ridiculed by the rest of the black metal community because they use good quality production, and that takes away the whole underground effect (or something like that). The only third wave bands I can think of off the top of my head are Melechesh and Lord Belial.

Note: I'm not an expert on metal, I just got bored one day and Wiki'd black metal. Also, TS, you say you want diversity from metalcore and deathcore, yet in the OP, you point out an album by Lamb of God, which is a metalcore band.
I honestly can't think of anything that doesn't have a decent tone OTS, but the Darkthrone album I mentioned above has the worst production I have ever heard.

EDIT: My apologies, the album is called Goatlord. Rex is just one of the songs on it.

Can I ask which edition of Goatlord? There are two different releases for it, one is the album proper and there was an early recording of it, before A Blaze in the Northern Sky that was released in the Frostland tapes.

I myself can't stand Five Finger Death Punch and Mastadon, they just don't seem all that heavy to me. Though the fact that I enjoy Darkthrone's demos might hint to something.
Dimebag's tone has always made me want to puke. He's was an absolute beast of a player, but god damn that tone sounds like a Boss Metal Zone
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)
Quote by Pac_man0123
Nile
Cannibal Corpse
Pantera
Metallica
Rammstein
Mastodon
Nirvana
Megadeth
Dethklok
Children of Bodom

They aren't all terrible, but none of them are good.

I must counter-act most of these:

Nile: Tuned too low and played too fast. Sarcophagus is great IMO.
Cannibal Corpse: OK you got me.
Pantera: Unique, not "bad". He was one of the few big guitarists to use SS, so props.
Metallica: As far as their old stuff, I hate it too. Their new production/tone is great, but then again they are millionaires.
Rammstein: Again, maybe the first 2 or 3 albums. Listen to Reise Reise and you'll change your mind.
Mastodon: You've got to be ****ing kidding me here, Brent Hinds has one of the best tones and most unique playing styles I've heard. Remission had mediocre production but that guitar tone was balls deep in sludge.
Megadeth: [omit from all lists saying anything bad about them :P )
Nirvana: Heroin and Fender and fuzz. You're probably right. It doesn't necessarily take away from most of his music though.
Dethklok: no opinion.
Children of Bodom: not a fan of the band, but Alexi's live tone is surprisingly good.
-...And Justice For All
-Necrophagist
-Burzum

EDIT: Can't believe I forgot this one: Messengers-August Burns Red, great album, awful tone.
Last edited by 3lusive at May 9, 2011,
It's not really the tone but more the production. I absolutely love Animals as Leaders but the bass levels on their self titled are obnoxious through anything with decent subs and it's just a bassy mess. I understand it has to do with the lower tuning and the 8th string being so naturally bassy, but it should have been mixed out IMO. I was surprised considering Misha did such excellent work on the production of Periphery's work (which is some of my favorite music production quality wise) but left the Animals as Leaders album so heavily focused on the bass end whilst pushing the highs a little too much for my tastes...

As far as tone goes, I hate the bass drum and tom from Lamb of God's New American Gospel which is surprising because I love it to death on Ashes of the Wake and Wrath but I'll attribute that to being their first full length (besides BTP).

I don't like the guitar tone too much of As Blood Runs Black's Allegience, the drum mixing/tone on As I Lay Dying's Frail Words Collapse, and while I absolutely adore August Burns Red's Messengers, it's way too trebly for the guitars and drum tracks (once again probably more mixing than tone) but Constellations is an absolute dream of an album (in all senses of the word; mixing, tone, production, etc.). Not a huge fan of any of the guitar tones from Cannibal Corpse, Circle of Contempt, Job for a Cowboy on the Doom EP, and a few others.
Ibanez S2170FB Prestige + Crunch Lab
Ibanez RG1570MRR Prestige + Crunch Lab
Taylor 214CE
Peavey 6505MH + Orange PPC112 + TS9 + ISP Decimator + MXR 10-Band EQ

Watch and subscribe to my guitar ventures!
Search Nick Catelli on YouTube
Page 1 of 4