So, my pops gave me an old Washburn acoustic the other day. For the most part, it sounds good except for one huge problem. On the high E string, I had incredibly bad fret buzz from the 12th to the 14th fret; there was also fret buzz on the 13th fret, B string. So, I adjusted the truss rod and got rid of the fret buzz for the most part. Now, comes the annoying part. Frets 12 to 14 on the high E all sound the same! D:

I've been messing around with the truss rod making adjustments for the last few minutes and nothing seems to remedy this problem. What's wrong?

Thanks.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
The truss rod is not the right solution to your problem.

Most likely, you need an action adjustment, which can only really be done by either getting a new saddle or shimming the old one.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
You could have a "high fret" as well, one that's worked out of the wood a bit and is standing above the others. This is what's happening when you get the same note on several frets; it's contacting the one you're not holding down.
Take it to a decent technician; he can put a gauge on the frets to identify any high ones and either re-position it or dress it down.
He can also check the overall action and recommend any needed adjustments.
Problem with that, hombre.

The nearest technician would be a four hour drive, so I'll need to finish this myself. The frets look fine as far as I can tell, but I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to this stuff. Before I go near the frets, I think I might try and "fix" the bridge. I have never attempted to fix the action on any guitar other than my old Reaper. I've never done anything with an acoustic before.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Not that i am a Jew. But do you think that is at all necessary?

I dont suppose you thought about fixing up your technique and leaving your truss rod alone.
Yeah, the sig is a bit much. If you're wanting to learn to do such things on your own, go to the excellent Frets.com page and check out the "of interest to musicians" section, especially the basic set-up portions.
This will give you the standard measurements for an acoustic set-up as far as string heights and such, and put you in the ball-park. Tons of other good info as well.

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/pagelist.html#Musician