I'm getting a 6 string bass soon and I'm just wondering what are some good songs I should learn that requires a 6 string.
As the owner of a 6-string bass, it is my opinion that no song has ever really required a 6-string bass, not really.

My only suggestion would be some Dream Theatre, as I'm pretty sure John Myung uses one. Dance of Eternity might be a good start? Anything off Metropolis pt. II, really, it's a great album.
...I might sound dumb, but why don't you learn guitar parts to songs on bass, wouldn't that make you more proficient?
@ Wolffgang
Yeah I was thinking of Dream Theatre I have tried to learn a couple of songs but as John Myung is pretty much an exclusive 6 string player most songs need to be drop tuned on a 4 string (which I hate) or have notes played up the octave which can be annoying and not sound as good.

@ NosralTserrof
I don't listen to much prog rock, I'm more into prog metal but I do play some jazz and would be up to play prog rock or really anything.
I haven't heard any of Protest the Hero before, any suggestions as to what are some of their good songs.

@ Rawshik
Scale the Summit sounds quite good, I do like me some instrumentals.

@ Interpolheed
Thats not dumb it can be good to play guitar riffs that are on the bottom 5 strings you can't play songs that use the high E string as the guitars tuning is E,A,D,G,B,E while 6 string bass is B,E,A,D,G,B
^ Beadgc
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by squall92
Ah. Thanks for that I would have been tuning my highest string too low.

you can tune however you want. Nothing is wrong if it works for you.

I was just correcting you on what 'standard' is seen as.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Pretty much any Dream Theater song is played with a 6-string bass. Exept for songs on the album Images and Words where John Myung uses a 4-string.
Last edited by Tallica94 at May 9, 2011,
New Order and The Cure, though they both play EADGBE on 6-string basses.
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
most songs don't require a 6 string, but there are many that are made way easier with them. seeman by ramstein is a good example. there is a chord in there thats like

g14
d11
a9

its kinda a bitch of a stretch, but its doable. although with a 6 string you can play it like this.

c9
g
d11
a9

makes it loads easier.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Quote by Dan_5893
Karnivool songs, enjoy playing in B F# B G B E. Jon Stockman is an amazing bassist, check out Simple Boy, Umbra, Themata and COTE for awesome bass.

Off topic - Saw him play a week ago with Floating me. Dead set breath taking player and was happy to see him play his 6 string when them also.

Personally with my 6 string playing I started learning dreamtheater to get a feel etc. but really what made me learn how to play it and incoperate all 6 strings i found myself writing alot of my own music which was kinda proggy and incorperated alot of chordal work on the high 3 strings and then breaking into heavy riffs to use the low strings.
Which may be a good way to approach it. It was the only way I felt helped my ability to incorperate 6 string playing into originals (as obvious as that sounds) I don't feel that if i kept learning other peoples stuff I would have grasped it properly but i guess thats the same with anything.
Try Solar Groove by John Myung (solo). For John Myung with Dream Theater, try The Root of All Evil or Overture 1928.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by Dan_5893
Karnivool songs, enjoy playing in B F# B G B E. Jon Stockman is an amazing bassist, check out Simple Boy, Umbra, Themata and COTE for awesome bass.

I thought he tunes standard, it's just the guitarists in that drop B/standard tuning hybrid.
Definately Karnivool i have a 6 string and Jon Stockmans playing is amazing to transcribe. Although if the odd tuning puts you off just do it in standard, it's easily doable. I've already tabbed about 4 of their songs in standard tuning on a 6 string.
Aside from Karnivool, i found a very interesting website a while ago where the guy was playing piano parts on a 6 string. That really inspired me and learning the piano solo from Rob Dougans "Clubbed to Death" was a good step on the right track for me i think. Although learning piano parts usually involves two-handed tapping. I'd definately recommend learning some piano parts on bass. The 6 strings makes it easy.
Type O Negative and Slipknot use BEAD on 4-string which is basically a 5-string without the G. definitely learn some TON, they have some really fun & powerful basslines ("Wolf Moon", "Black No. 1", etc.)

EDIT: oh wow i'm tired. read this as 5 string

She's so pretty in her casts
The prettiest thing I've ever seen
I only get to hold her when she's injured
I only get to kiss her where she's sore
Last edited by pwnadgebunny at Jul 6, 2012,
look at seventh wonder, andreas blomqvist is brilliant at what he does
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Buy Hiromi's "Sprial"

Sickeningly amazing album with Tony Grey on the 6 string.
The intro by itself is so nasty. I've never heard 13 groove so hard.

Album takes a bit of effort to listen to but it's just so rich that its worth it.

Janek Gwizdala's "Live At The 55 Bar" is a must have for ANY bassist (He's got such a smooth pocket and NEVER gets too busy or notey). He plays a 5 string but strings it EADGC
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
This thread is over a year old.
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?
Olol
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol