I've been afraid to ask this because it seems like such a stupid question, but here it goes: I know that alternate picking is down and upstrokes alternating constantly. But is it possible to do down and upstrokes and not alternate pick? The reason I ask, is that players like Hetfield and other metal guys are said to be strictly downpickers--but many of the faster Metallica songs can't possibly be all downpicked (I know that Master of puppets is downpicked--I'm talking whiplash etc....). Does this mean that if you just concentrate on the downpick and kind of incidently do an upstroke as you bring the pick back for another downstroke--you can get that high-speed tremolo chugging 'whiplash' line?

to clarify the above: as opposed to concentrated, deliberate down and upstrokes articulated independently--as standard alternate picking.
Last edited by afrika18 at May 9, 2011,
You can mix both, but on single note pieces of a song, there is a noticable sound difference between up and down strokes. Just do whatever you feel comfortable with.
It's just like a computer, Dual Core = better, Single CPU = slower and really annoying
I think when it is said that they are strictly downpickers, it means that they try to only use downpicking as far as is possible.

Songs like One and Fight Fire With Fire use normal alternate picking; there's no special technique that Hetfield uses on songs like this, it's just pretty fast.
Up The Boro!
Quote by Oddsbodkins
I think when it is said that they are strictly downpickers, it means that they try to only use downpicking as far as is possible.

I agree. Downstrokes are often used to create a stronger, driving sound - especially in rhythm guitar. But your sound would really suffer if you didn't do alternate picking. Some of the faster stuff is probably impossible to do without alternate picking and legato (ie. pulloffs, hammer-ons, etc.).
be interersting to find out how fast you can play with just downstrokes though.

But yeah i doubt you will rally out a ripping fast solo just on downhits alone. I gues somewhere out there maybe some crazy kid could but it aint gonna be the norm.
Does this mean that if you just concentrate on the downpick and kind of incidently do an upstroke as you bring the pick back for another downstroke--you can get that high-speed tremolo chugging 'whiplash' line?

Weeeelllllllllll sort of.

When you're doing metal gallops, you focus on the downstrokes, and the middle note just "falls into place" as you describe. But for almost everything else you aim for being equal and even with both pickstrokes.
Quote by Freepower
Weeeelllllllllll sort of.

When you're doing metal gallops, you focus on the downstrokes, and the middle note just "falls into place" as you describe. But for almost everything else you aim for being equal and even with both pickstrokes.

Thank-you...that's what I thought, but I wanted to here it from somebody else. I guess I'm on the right track,

cheers