Page 1 of 2
hi , i'm looking for a very closer soad sound ....which pedal do you think it's better ?
Neither bud.
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
Quote by adj209
Neither bud.
Come on, how helpful is that?

@TS: First off, you obviously need to down-tune your guitar, this is what gives SOAD their aggressive sound. Set it to Drop D, then down-tune everything a 1/2 step.
Then, of course, you need to use a lot of gain, but I'm not sure the MT-2 or ML-2 are necessary. Simply use your amp's natural OD with the appropriate EQ setting. Listening to some SOAD, I don't think Daron Malakian puts a lot of bass in his signal. That comes from Shavo's bass. Try and tune your amp EQ to: bass=4, mids=7 and trebble=9.
It may sound weird if you play alone, but if you jam in a band, it could work...
Quote by gudinge
Wasn't there a thread about this like yesterday?
Quote by ivan_2894
This guy knows what he's talking about
(Ab)using:
* Ibanez PF5 acoustic * Gibson '08 LP Classic * Schecter Damien FR *
* Marshall JCM 2k DSL401 *
* Boss OS-2 * Boss DD-7 *

Eyes on Wah & SD pups
Last edited by tickler444 at May 9, 2011,
metal muff is a complete pile of dildos.

Out of the bosses, the mt2 is the better investment because you open up the option of modding.
Last edited by bogg808 at May 21, 2011,
Quote by tickler444
Come on, how helpful is that?

@TS: First off, you obviously need to down-tune your guitar, this is what gives SOAD their aggressive sound. Set it to Drop D, then down-tune everything a 1/2 step.
Then, of course, you need to use a lot of gain, but I'm not sure the MT-2 or ML-2 are necessary. Simply use your amp's natural OD with the appropriate EQ setting. Listening to some SOAD, I don't think Daron Malakian puts a lot of bass in his signal. That comes from Shavo's bass. Try and tune your amp EQ to: bass=4, mids=7 and trebble=9.
It may sound weird if you play alone, but if you jam in a band, it could work...

Not very helpful, but what I recommend is not getting either.

Instead put your money towards a POD UX1, buy the metal-shop pack and use the 6505 amp sim. A pretty spot on tone for SOAD.
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
these days i'll go to test mt2 and ml2 but i need some settings for them
go A/B them though the same amp and guitar that you are using and that will tell you which is the best.
[Cool Post-N00b of the Pedalboard Thread]
Guitars:Fender Am. Standard Telecaster, Gibson SG
Amp:Fender Blues Jr.
Pedals:EQD Dream Crusher->Polytune->PH-1r->Fulldrive 2->Barber LTD->Catalinbread DLS->CE-3->Strymon El Capistan->EQD Ghost Echo
What they will sound like and what settings will work best depends largely on what amp they will be plugged in. So if this is your first pedal hunt and you want to turn a beginner amp into a metal machine, I can tell you it will not work. One reason is that the amp won't allow it, another is that both of these pedals are bad, really bad. I'd pick the ML2 out of the two, but that's like picking Herpes over AIDS.

If you want some gear advice, tell us what sounds you want and what gear you already have.
Whoever wins...we lose.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by TheQuailman
One reason is that the amp won't allow it, another is that both of these pedals are bad, really bad.

I disagree. I've owned the MT-2 and I loved it. It has a very nice raw kind of sound. But to the TS, you have to test them out. You can't ask us because you get mixed reviews like you've seen here. It's all subjective. But either way, decide for yourself. Good luck man.
"Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright."
The MT-2 is the better of the two... but they're both really bad.

Get a Hardwire Metal Distortion. It makes any Boss distortion look like a kids meal toy. Which they might as well be anyway. (New ones anyway. Old ones are pretty sweet)
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Yes. But then, getting kicked in the balls by a horse is better than the MT2.

Hate to repeat myself, but seriously:
If you want some gear advice, tell us what sounds you want and what gear you already have.
If we don't know what gear you have...

WE. CAN. NOT. HELP. YOU.

Give us something to work with and you'll get some good reccomendations. Until you do, you're not going to get any good advice.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
I think i can already guess the recommendation.

I can probably guess the exact quote of what will be said to this guy once he posts his gear.

I really dont have to say it do i?

No you do not. Hell, if he's considering the MT/ML/POS-2 I think it's pretty safe to assume he needs that recommendation anyway.
Quote by dr_shred

Quote by littlephil

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
mxr fullbore is the best pedal i have used for metal. it is impossible to even get a crunchy/vintage tone out of this thing with the gain turned all the way down. it has insane amounts of gain on tap, and also has an on board noise gate as well as an adjustable mid scoop. if your looking for a pedal solely for metal, this is what you want. if mine died, i'd buy another one as soon as i could
Well, I'm far from expert on aything guitar to be honest, but I compared all the distortion pedals from Boss at the local Guitar Center. I went with the MD-2 because I liked the stronger bass sound it had. I'm afraid I'm not familiar enough with SOAD to say whether or not the MD-2 is a good choice, sorry. I listen to them and like them, but I'm far from good enough to even attempt to play them . My only point is that if you're set on a Boss pedal for distortion, why not consider all of them...
In my personal experiences with my MT-2, it has a horrible fizz to its top end that you can't eq out of it very easily. Not sure if it's my pedal's mid knobs that aren't working properly, or my amp. In any case though, my amp is weird in that it cuts the top end treble spikes of it when I have my distortion channel's preamp gain all the way up while I use the clean. As I say, weird, but takes alot of the fizz out of it. It's kind of like the difference between flicking a bright switch on and off, or flicking a vintage/modern switch (like on my amp, hah)

I also got some absolutely fab sounds using it on a peavy basic 112, but that was a bass amp (lol)

tl;dr - MT2 has some harsh top end fizz in the distortion that you might not like.
Not seen a metalcore, but meh.
Peavey Rage 158
Ibanez RG 320 FM
ESP LTD AX-50
Boss MT-2
Boss CH-1
Belcat Delay
Digitech Jamman Solo
I thought I had read that Daron had endorsed the Metal Zone. Of course, I highly doubt he actually used it on his actual rig. Honestly distortion pedals for cheap just arnt very good. These pedals are often criticized for a good reason. They just dont cut it. You will find these things are much like most peoples experience buying a line 6 spider. You think its awesome at first but after using it enough you get this intense urge to upgrade. Be smart with your money and just get a decent amp and laugh at those who waste money chasing these crap pedals.
The Metalzone is rad. You can literally take out 4 components and it opens up beautifully. It's the better choice. A few easy mods and it is awesome. I STILL use mine. Never thought I would still be using a "shit" boss distortion.
you could always get both and stack them? just leave the gain on about half for each.
mojostompboxes.com
my gear is a Kustom HV30 amplfiier , and a Tenson Nashville LP Black guitar
Try the EHM Metal Muff.

is the EH MEtal Muff better than the mt 2 ?

FYI, the Metal Muff IS an MT-2 with a fixed mid frequency control and a boost tacked onto the end.

Funny. So much hate for the MT-2 but not for the Metal Muff.
Quote by Griffin Effects
FYI, the Metal Muff IS an MT-2 with a fixed mid frequency control and a boost tacked onto the end.

Funny. So much hate for the MT-2 but not for the Metal Muff.

I know what you mean, the metal muffs I've heard have had far, far too much gain. Really trashy and plasticy. And not in a good way.

Seriously you need to tell us what amp you have. It's like picking an engine for a car without knowing what car you're going to put in it. Putting a huge, super powerful V12 monster in a vintage, hand made car would be stupid.
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Maybe the price tag is clouding your judgment ?
yeah probably. Or the circuits.
Quote by PussyPunk182
I know what you mean, the metal muffs I've heard have had far, far too much gain. Really trashy and plasticy. And not in a good way.

Seriously you need to tell us what amp you have. It's like picking an engine for a car without knowing what car you're going to put in it. Putting a huge, super powerful V12 monster in a vintage, hand made car would be stupid.

He did look up 2 posts from yours
yes i did " Kustom HV30 amplfiier and Tenson Nashville LP Black guitar"
What can you recommend? to be processor / pedal, maximum: 125 Euro
i heard that at low volumes the mt-2 pretty rocks , but at high volumes when play with the band the sound isn't so good ? is that truth ? i wish could test it but can't and don't want to have any surprise of it, if i'll buy it (no store with mt-2 in my town or suround my town, if i will buy it i will get it from thomann )
Quote by daron96
i heard that at low volumes the mt-2 pretty rocks , but at high volumes when play with the band the sound isn't so good ? is that truth ? i wish could test it but can't and don't want to have any surprise of it, if i'll buy it (no store with mt-2 in my town or suround my town, if i will buy it i will get it from thomann )

No, it's sounds pretty shitty at all volumes...fizzy, pissweak thin and no balls.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I haven't tried the ml-2 however i personally use the mt-2 as my source of distortion in my rig and i can tell you its an extremely versatile and powerful pedal.u can get a whole range of sounds from it incuding soad and u can tweak it from there to your own personal sound
I'm not saying not to trust the internet, but there's an alarming discrepancy between the number of iPads I've won & the number of iPads I own.
Check out some of the Blackstar distortion pedals or the Barber Dirty Bomb. If you can afford it, try the Okko Dominator.
Quote by dr_shred

Quote by littlephil

Quote by Banjocal

i asked something but nobody answered...."it sounds good and at high volumes when play in the band ? "
i don't ask if it's good or shit or anything
Page 1 of 2