Hey guys, I've been crawling the local classifieds and found two options for my next guitar... im a lefty so finding 2nd hand strats has been quite difficult

Anyway, the two options I've got are a 1985 MIJ fender strat or a modern MIM,

I play blues and my current rig is a dunlop crybaby, boss cs-3, and an ibanez dl-10 running through a 1968 fender bassman with a 410 cab with eminence blue frame alnico speakers

Which do you guys suggest is better as far as tone and build quality?
I'm looking for a nice classic strat tone - kind of like an early 60s strat
also playabillity is fairly important, but i'm gonna go play em both and see which one i prefer as far as playing.

Thanx
\m/ ROCK \m/
MIJ for sure.
Quote by Carmel
Lucky I'm a girl and I don't give a damn.

Quote by darkwolf291

I've seen her kill a man with a spork and a rubber band
No one is safe from the wrath of Batgirl!
MIJ of course.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

either is acceptable.
...but, my vote is for MIJ.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Some people prefer MIJ over MIA. But MIM will always be a sales rep. Plus it's vintage
Fender American Special Telecaster w/ Bigsby
Fender MIM Jaguar
Digitech Whammy-->Korg Pitchblack Poly-->Dunlop Cry Baby-->Danelectro Pastrami Overdrive-->EHX Big Muff Pi-->Joyo Digital Delay
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III Red October Edition
I had the all coveted and drooled upon MIJ strat back in the 80's . Do not be fooled they are nothing special. Good yes. But,they are not all that and a bag of fries. Judge each guitar as an individual no matter who or where it is made and you will go far in finding the guitar for you.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
you may find that the neck on the MIJ is very different feeling as many of them from that time period use the old fender7.25" fretboard radius. as for the quality it depends on which model as not all MIJs are equal. if yo can play them both i'd do that and go with the one that fells/sounds best to you.
generally as far as quality of materials used, workmanship etc? mij

which of those two specific guitars? only you can tell for sure.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Hmmmm, it sounds pretty obvious which one has better build quality :P

I must say i love vintage anything, i've already played the MIM and it sounded pretty good but tbh it was set up like shit...

But yeah should be checking out the MIJ this weekend... I hope it'll be the one
\m/ ROCK \m/
Hey guys, so funny thing happened, i tried out the japanese... felt pretty good, tried out the mexican - wasnt as good

about ten minutes later i found out that there was an american standard on sale too, so i checked that out and i can now say i'm the proud owner of a Fender american standard, in candy apple red with a maple fretboard
\m/ ROCK \m/
Congratulations, how does it compare to the MIM and MIJ?????
Quote by GarrenM
Hey guys, so funny thing happened, i tried out the japanese... felt pretty good, tried out the mexican - wasnt as good

about ten minutes later i found out that there was an american standard on sale too, so i checked that out and i can now say i'm the proud owner of a Fender american standard, in candy apple red with a maple fretboard

congrats and post some pics!

I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
generally as far as quality of materials used, workmanship etc? mij

which of those two specific guitars? only you can tell for sure.

agreed. MIJ made the best modern fenders out there but there are some great MIM's too. If you get your hands on a great MIM or a bad MIJ then it could turn the general ruling around. Plus, there is personal preference to take into consideration.

Without actually playing them I'd say MIJ.

I must say i love vintage anything, i've already played the MIM and it sounded pretty good but tbh it was set up like shit...

But yeah should be checking out the MIJ this weekend... I hope it'll be the one

That tends to be the main problem with the MIM guitars. They are built well and have good parts except that the pickups are poor and the setups are hit and miss. MIJ's still have poor stock pickups but the stock setups tend to be much better. If you are looking at a 20 year old setup it's probably not the original setup anyway but I've noticed that most people that buy MIM guitars never actually bother to get a proper setup (perhaps they don't know better?) while the MIJ players do tend to keep the guitars with a nice setup.
Not taking any online orders.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at May 15, 2011,