I've recently joined a job agency after weeks of no success trying to find a job and I've got my first work tomorrow.

Does anyone have any experience of working for one as I don't really know what to expect?

Do you usually get lots of work at the same place or do you move between jobs quite frequently?

I don't really get it to be honest, but at least i'm gonna get some money.
It all depends on what the place you're going to be working at want..

sometimes you can be there as a temp for months and then get offered a permanant contract, other times you might only be there short-term and then have to leave after so long.

Hope it works out all right for ya..
I dunno about england, but in Australia, job agencies do nothing for you, unless you and your parents are dirt poor. If your parents earn enough money, they have to support you until you're 25, and the job agencies don't help you get a job, and you get no money from the government.

If you're young and your parents are dirt poor, you get the dole, but the job agency still does basically nothing for you, and just make sure you're looking for a job, so that the government will keep paying you.

Job agencies almost never help people get jobs.
Quote by Butt Rayge
I dunno about england, but in Australia, job agencies do nothing for you, unless you and your parents are dirt poor. If your parents earn enough money, they have to support you until you're 25, and the job agencies don't help you get a job, and you get no money from the government.

If you're young and your parents are dirt poor, you get the dole, but the job agency still does basically nothing for you, and just make sure you're looking for a job, so that the government will keep paying you.

Job agencies almost never help people get jobs.

Way to throw a tantrum about a completely unrelated problem...

What agency are you going with, Greenie?

I've been with a few, temping is pretty good. Normally your first job is just a day or 2 so they can tell you aren't an idiot, drug-user, slacker, whatever. BE ON TIME. Be polite to EVERYONE. If you screw that day up they'll never get you another job.

If you get a good reference from that though, they'll put you onto a longer term contract somewhere. The only downside to temping is they assume you're stupid so treat you badly, and you can get fired with a day's notice.

I got fired from one for being 10 minutes late on 3 occasions in a month. I was pissed. Got a phonecall in the evening after work while I was sat in my car saying "don't come back", they were too cowardly to do it to my face.

But yeah, agency work is good easy money if you can put up with that
Agency workers are regularly screwed over, they're often barely covered by existing workers' rights legislation and have very little union protection. Depends what field you're working in, but in the private sector (and increasingly in the public, in this era of austerity), employers often use agencies for cheap, short-term contract work. I hope you manage to get something more permanent as a result.
Last edited by Kumanji at May 9, 2011,
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Way to throw a tantrum about a completely unrelated problem...

Unless job agencies have different roles in England than they do in AUS then it's absolutely related.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Unless job agencies have different roles in England than they do in AUS then it's absolutely related.

Yes I think you are thinking of what we call 'the Jobcentre' which is something entirely different.

On topic, I just got a sweet £8ph temp job for the NHS for the next few months
Quote by Butt Rayge

Yeah TS is talking about a temping agency, it's a completely different thing.
I'm going to be doing the same thing in the near future. Agencies have been very good in finding my brother work, right now they're coming across as my only option. I hope they sort you out with something.
Oh flange.
They're not bad if you're willing to accept the fact that you probably won't get a great job or great wages.

Not to mention the whole temporary thing.

If that's all you're looking for then there's not much to dislike about it.