So heres a question for you experienced performers out there.

I am in a band. hooray. we are all about 22 23 and have really very little musical talent. we have fun jamming out a couple punk songs. things like kkk took my baby away and astro zombies. Now, my drummer and bassist want to gig, just find some crappy bar or something and get on stage. but I feel like every time I go to those places the bands are a lot better than us, and the crappier ones are usually high school kids who got a much earlier start.

I guess, how do I know were actually ready to do a crappy gig?
You're ready.

Honestly, If you can play about 30 minutes worth of music and stay relatively in time and in tune, you can gig.

My first time gigging was about less terrible than I thought (it was still terrible though). Are there things I'd change? Yes. But gigging helps you get better. Think of it like Expert Level Practice. Consider yourself lucky that you have a drummer and bassist that want to gig, instead of ones that just want to play and won't put the effort in.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Last edited by kangaxxter at May 9, 2011,
Just do the gig. If the teenagers start talking shit then you can beat them up because you're bigger than they are.
No matter the gig do you want to go out there and sound like a big fart? If you go on stage and suck that bar owner will let others know not to waste there time with you. No one wants to hear crappy music. Plus the drunks will tell you exactly how much you suck. Drunks have a way of being brutaly honest. If your not confident on how you sound that will show in your playing and the crowd will pick up on that and let you know. Ive seen bands get boo'd off a stage before cause well they sucked.
Alright, well let me expound the question... whats more important, the bands talant? or the selection of songs. Like If we can pull of a solid set of a bunch of 3 chord punk songs, I feel like anyone who plays an instrument would hate us, but anyone who's just there to be drunk and rock out would have a good time, at least thats always been my perception of your local schmuck bands.
Quote by somekid413

I am in a band. hooray. we are all about 22 23 and have really very little musical talent. we have fun jamming out a couple punk songs. things like kkk took my baby away and astro zombies. Now, my drummer and bassist want to gig, just find some crappy bar or something and get on stage. but I feel like every time I go to those places the bands are a lot better than us, and the crappier ones are usually high school kids who got a much earlier start.

Mate, I'm old enough to be your dad and in a very similar situation.

The way I look at it, pick some real "drunk" pubs/clubs/bars to start off, go on late and you'll go down a storm!
Quote by Calibos
Just do the gig. If the teenagers start talking shit then you can beat them up because you're bigger than they are.

unless they are bigger than you, then you'll just be bad and beat up.
Quote by AllenHB
Seriously you're thinking about music theory all wrong. It doesn't tell you how to write, it' examines what's already written.
Quote by crevs1972
Mate, I'm old enough to be your dad and in a very similar situation.

The way I look at it, pick some real "drunk" pubs/clubs/bars to start off, go on late and you'll go down a storm!

At last a competition I might stand a chance in. I'm old enough to be your grandfather. I didn't start playing until i was 55.

We gig regularly, we even get paid. We get cheered, applauded and even return bookings. The kids are all better than us but we have loads of fun and hopefully so do the audiences.

By and large people are very generous and encouraging so long as you don't pretend to be something you are not and you do your best to entertain. Start off at a jam session/open mic and playing to friends. We often have mates who play a few songs in the breaks in our sets, you could try asking if anyone will give you a chance to play a few songs. If it is for free then you aren't under any pressure. You'll soon know if it is for you.

Go on, give it a go.
There are many crappy bands, age doesn't play a factor in determining the crappiness of it.

If your problem is that the subject matter of the songs is about aliens and zombies, that really doesn't phase me. People enjoy that stuff.

If your problem is that the band doesn't sound tight, the songs aren't arranged and people forget chords and lyrics, then it's time to really put some effort into fixing those problems.

Record your band, and listen to it together with a very critical ear. What can you hear wrong? What could be improved? Does the band sound tight? Do you all know where to start/end? How many songs do you have? How long is the set (time it)?

It's all great and stuff to say "yes let's go gig now", but if you aren't prepared then it can end with a serious ego blow, or from a positive angle, be the most constructive criticism you'll ever give yourself.

That said, it seems that amateurs always have different standards as to how good a band should be before it becomes "gig ready", and your first gig will not always (or never) go as planned.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by somekid413
Alright, well let me expound the question... whats more important, the bands talant? or the selection of songs. Like If we can pull of a solid set of a bunch of 3 chord punk songs, I feel like anyone who plays an instrument would hate us, but anyone who's just there to be drunk and rock out would have a good time, at least thats always been my perception of your local schmuck bands.

Theres a lot of good songs with just 3 chords. If it sounds good play it, who cares how complex or simple it is.
Quote by somekid413

Wow I completely missed this post by TS.

Try and figure out why those "simple" 3 chord songs made so much money in the first place in the first place. I'm going to assume that you're the guy in the bar going "woah, that's way to simple, so crap".
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by somekid413

honestly the people that hate bands because they're simple are really just tools. a real musician doesn't care about how difficult a song is, more about weather or not it actually sounds good.

also what makes up more of an audience musicians or drunks? your more likely to find drunks in your audience. hell there are more non musicians than there are musicians out there so it really doesn't need to be super complicated, or musically impressive.
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Quote by mseychel
unless they are bigger than you, then you'll just be bad and beat up.

teenage musicians arent big...except drummer. theyre always big kids
Quote by somekid413

D'yer know what it is that makes you good at playing gigs?
Rehearsals may make you good at playing your music but playing a gig is much more than just a rehearsal on a stage, it's a 'performance'. It's all down to keeping the audience's attention, making it look effortless and making it at least look like you are enjoying yourselves. None of this is anything you can really learn in a rehearsal studio, it's something that you need to learn from experience playing gigs, so to answer my question, the thing that makes you good at playing gigs is playing gigs.

Yeah, your band may be crappy when it plays it's first gig, but the more gigs you play, the more experienced everyone will become and the better it'll get. In other words, if you wanna be ready to play gigs, you're gonna have to go and play some gigs.

Quote by somekid413

Dude, Chuck Berry became one of the most famous musicians in the history of music on the back of just three chords.
The amount of chords you play is unimportant, the complexity of your music is unimportant, I know there are elitist musicians out there who will say differently but they can kiss my arse because not everyone appreciates complex or highly polished music.
Personaly, I'm a 44 year old musician that's been around the block more times than I care to remember, I've played in heavy metal bands, progressive bands, folk bands and three chord trick punk bands, and y'know what I prefer? The punk bands every time, especially punk bands that occasionaly cover old 50s 'three chord' rock 'n' roll classics like Chuck Berry used to chug out.
And it not just playing the music that I prefer, it's seeing other bands that play simple punk music too. It's catchy, it's vibrant, it has energy, it has primal beats, it makes you want to move your body and it's a damn sight more fun than discussing the merits of the particular chord sequence or playing technique used by the guitarist.
To me, seeing a gig should be an exercise in enjoyment for punters and band alike, not an exercise in musician critique for elitists who have their heads too far up each others arses to actualy cut loose and have some actual fun.

Rant over... now stop f*ckin' around, go and get a set together, get some gigs, and go and have some fun.
I'm crap, i just joined a band and hopefully in a few months we'll be out there. The way i see it it just comes to performance and song choice. Keep it simple, smile and hopefully it'll be cool. Having said that i went to a show last week and saw 2 bands and all the guitsrists were miles bette than me and i started to get doubts. Then i realised as a guitarist i was drawn to the guitarists but 90% of club goers just listen to the singer. As long as your not out of tune it'll be ok i reckon [nervous swallow]
Quote by crevs1972
I'm crap, i just joined a band and hopefully in a few months we'll be out there. The way i see it it just comes to performance and song choice. Keep it simple, smile and hopefully it'll be cool. Having said that i went to a show last week and saw 2 bands and all the guitsrists were miles bette than me and i started to get doubts. Then i realised as a guitarist i was drawn to the guitarists but 90% of club goers just listen to the singer. As long as your not out of tune it'll be ok i reckon [nervous swallow]

The reason those guitarists were better than you is because they have more playing experience than you. Keep playing, keep practicing, keep learning new stuff and eventualy you be as good as them.
It's simply a learning process, it takes time, but put the time in, 'pay your dues' as the saying goes, and the rewards will come to you.

I know it's like looking up at a mountain from the very bottom and thinking "damn, I've got a long way to go" but take it one step at a time and pretty soon you've taken a hell of a lot of steps and are a damn sight closer to achieving your goals. The trick is to just keep moving forwards.