Poll: ?
Poll Options
View poll results: ?
I agree with this quote (please explain why)
83 61%
I disagree with this quote (please explain why)
26 19%
I am a Mormon Christionite Islamajew and take offense to this question.
28 20%
Voters: 137.
Page 1 of 3
What are your opinions on this quote?

I personally think that while not all comedy inherently needs to be offensive to certain groups to be good, we as a culture (or maybe even a species?) find great joy in mocking people who are different -- even if that means ourselves. I think that even when mocking ourselves, we find it funny because we somehow subconsciously know that someone else will take offense to it.

Discuss and excelsior!
Fully agree.
I'm selling an ernie ball wah pedal. Buy my ernie ball wah pedal.
Wah pedal.

Quote by 23dannybhoy23
That's got to be my all time favourite online death threat

Quote by smokeysteve22

My chest hurts after that.
Well, just look at how obscene South Park and Family Guy are. Our generation finds those shows hilarious. But they offend a lot of people.
Bill Hicks, George Carlin.

That is all.
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
everything always offends somebody.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Quote by Burgery
Bill Hicks, George Carlin.

That is all.

Angry man shouting opinions =/= comedy

On topic, no.
FALKIRK

We'll win something someday

Quote by Minkaro
Falkirk is the home of runners up.

Check out my Tunes
I find black jokes hilarious mainly because of all the so called "news-worthy" controversy some of them cause.
Agree 100%.
Quote by Boonnoo666
Another factor that has grown this myth is a bunch of opinionated guys who really don't know what they're talking about, which to be brutally honest is a bunch of you guys on here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7S5BP-tvR8

Idk... i dont reckon this could offend anyone
Quote by Macabre Lullaby

Wait, so not only did I NOT get drunk, I also got PREGNANT and didn't even get any homosex out of it. Worst night ever.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
My girlfriend's doing a double degree in law. I think dick jokes are funny.
Quote by TomusAM
I find black jokes hilarious mainly because of all the so called "news-worthy" controversy some of them cause.

Dave Chappelle has proven that race jokes are hilarious, and are not racist. We all can laugh at Chappelle's stereotypical white guys, and we can laugh at his stereotypical black guys. It's funny and it's comedy, because they're stereotypes.
Last edited by CoreysMonster at May 9, 2011,
Most comedy expands upon existing stereotypes associated with different groups of mentality, age, race, religion or some other group. The people who belong to those groups don't always have a sense of humor that will allow them to find the comments being made to be funny which will inevitably offend them. There are some comedians that aren't based on that type of comedy, but it is hard to avoid. The ones I laugh at most would offend the hell out of a lot of people I know.
It doesn't HAVE to offend someone to be funny, though it sure is a lot more funny when somebody gets offended.
Agreed. I'm reminded of the time when the BBC attempted to create the most Politically Correct sitcom of all time:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_About_Me

It was woefully unfunny. I think people just need to take 'offensive' humour on the chin a bit more often.
There are a few anti-jokes that are diamonds in the rough when delivered in perfect deadpan.
Ах, так вы не пьете и не курите?
Хорошо для вас: вы здоровым умрете!
True, but comedy that is based on offending people/things is a little bit pathetic.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
Obviously never heard of Milton Jones.

I am watching him now, thanks to you.

I have one thing to say, you Brits are apparently very easily amused.

EDIT: plus, his entire routine is based on making fun of other countries, so I don't get your point
Quote by Random88
Angry man shouting well thought out opinions, facts and common sense at stupid people = comedy

Fix'd.
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Actually, I will add that I don't find the likes of Bernard Manning or Jim Davidson funny in the slightest. Mostly because their humour and treatment of minorities is of the nasty, sneering sort. So that's one of the few examples where I'd say the humour is generally offensive.
Quote by laid-to-waste
True, but comedy that is based on offending people/things is a little bit pathetic.

Nah, a lot of it is gold. Doesn't mean it's the end all be all of greatest types of humor but it'll definitely attract a crowd for sure; either our of amusement or irritation. It gets peoples' attention.
Wait.

Milton Jones, on the first video I clicked, his closing joke was an onomatopoeic "DAN".

Seriously, Britain, what the hell is wrong with your comedy? You used to be so strong with Monty Python and nowadays you got Billy Connoly and Ed Byrne, none of whom are English, being the pillars of support in your comedy. What happened, man? What happened?
Quote by Zaphikh
Nah, a lot of it is gold. Doesn't mean it's the end all be all of greatest types of humor but it'll definitely attract a crowd for sure; either our of amusement or irritation. It gets peoples' attention.

What takes skill and unique talent is to be funny without offending somebody. Offending things is fun, sure, and I have no moral stand against it, but it's just too easy.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a lot of it. Louis CK is probably my favorite 'offender'. But there's much better types of comedy that aren't as common and overused.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Quote by CoreysMonster
Wait.

Milton Jones, on the first video I clicked, his closing joke was an onomatopoeic "DAN".

Seriously, England, what the hell is wrong with your comedy? You used to be so strong with Monty Python and nowadays you got Billy Connoly and Ed Byrne, none of whom are English, being the pillars of support in your comedy. What happened, man? What happened?

Peep show, Inbetweeners, Never Mind the Buzzcocks, The Office, Ross Noble, Chris Morris, Charlie Brooker and I'm sure others will help out.
Last edited by Greenie_777 at May 9, 2011,
Quote by Greenie_777
Peep show, Inbetweeners, Never Mind the Buzzcocks, The Office, Ross Noble and the list goes on.

I am going to watch ever single last one of those and tell you if I found any of it comedically remarkable.
Quote by CoreysMonster
Wait.

Seriously, Britain, what the hell is wrong with your comedy? You used to be so strong with Monty Python and nowadays you got Billy Connoly and Ed Byrne, none of whom are English, being the pillars of support in your comedy. What happened, man? What happened?

What happened is that it's clear that you don't know much about British comedy.

Why does it matter what role England has in it anyway?
Quote by Cloaca
What happened is that it's clear that you don't know much about British comedy.

Prove me wrong, then.

And don't bother asking me for German comedy, all of it is horrible. there's nothing more to say about it.
for me it's true. some people take things too seriously and their outrage at comedy that may be mocking but not necessarily hateful is funny. playing on stereotypes is also funny to me since there tends to be a kernel of truth or at least some instance I can recall where a person acted in a given way. hell, it's the backbone of the majority of black comedy.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Prove me wrong, then.

And don't bother asking me for German comedy, all of it is horrible. there's nothing more to say about it.

I bet it wasn't in the '30s...
Last edited by MakinLattes at May 9, 2011,
Disagree, as humor is extremely subjective.

And really, if you have to base your comedy on offensive and extremely stale stereotypes to get laughs, you're probably not very funny in the first place. Lookin' at you, Daniel Tosh.

I'm not saying an offensive joke can't be funny, but jeez, some of them are riffing on shit that's older than your grandparents.
Last edited by Holy Katana at May 9, 2011,
Quote by CoreysMonster
Wait.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2D3-FkoXNU
Quote by CoreysMonster
Wait.

Stewart Lee.

Your argument is invalid.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Quote by CoreysMonster
Prove me wrong, then.

In no particular order.

Limmy's Show, Simon Munnery, Stewart Lee, Richard Herring, Mitchell and Webb/Peep Show, Tim Key, Cowards, Kunt and the Gang, Victor Lewis-Smith's prank calls, Bird and Fortune, The Thick Of It, anything involving Chris Morris, Jerry Sadowitz.

I could go on. Stellar, all of it.

OT: Comedy that doesn't go any further than offense for the sheer sake of offense can **** right off. No, that doesn't include Sadowitz, as his act is much more thought-provoking and self-flagellating.
Last edited by Cloaca at May 9, 2011,
Quote by PeZ546

that was about as funny as a kick to the testicles.

Also, just watched the Peep show, how in the world is that supposed to be funny?

Quote by whalepudding
Stewart Lee.

Your argument is invalid.

okay, THIS guy knows his comedy
Quote by CoreysMonster
Prove me wrong, then.

Eddie Izzard.
Quote by korinaflyingv
Quote by CoreysMonster
that was about as funny as a kick to the testicles.

Also, just watched the Peep show, how in the world is that supposed to be funny?

Americans don't know humour though.
Quote by CoreysMonster
I am going to watch ever single last one of those and tell you if I found any of it comedically remarkable.

Yeah but are you in a relaxed mood to where comedy comes easier or are you in an interrogative mood jotting notes off to the side and weighing pro and cons of the sketches?
Page 1 of 3