Hey ultimateguitar peeps. I was wondering. I have been looking online for a long period of time for a new Amp Head/x4 Cab setup and I am on a budget. From looking at reviews I have narrowed it down to 2 heads.

The Randall RX 120H
http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com/Guitars/Guitar-Amplifiers-Effects/Guitar-Amplifiers/Guitar-Amp-Heads/Solid-State-Guitar-Amp-Heads/RX-Series-RX120RH-120W-Guitar-Amp-Head.site1prod481151.product

I have an RX Series practice amp at home and I love the tone I get out of it using my Electro Harmonix Metal Muff and whatnot. So i figured the RX120 would work good as well.

OR

The Peavy Valvekinghead
http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com/Guitars/Guitar-Amplifiers-Effects/Guitar-Amplifiers/Guitar-Amp-Heads/Tube-Guitar-Amp-Heads/ValveKing-100-Head.site1prod481170.product

I have played the VK at Guitar Center and loved it as well but i havnt tried it using my pedalboard.

Jackson RR>ShurePGX Wireless>Dunlop CFH>EH Metal Muff>Boss ME-70>AMP
I run the Rocktron Hush through the effects loop.
My tones kinda like- B4MV, Killswitch, Machine Head, Godsmack(Awake album), sorta tone. The EHMM helps with any gain issues I have.

I'm pairing ether one of these heads with ether the Randall RX412 Cab, Peavy VK412 Cab, Marshall MA412 cab, or the Jet City412.

So which combo of Amp/cab would work best for me?

BTW My Budget is 500-800$
Thanks
Fender Telecaster
Squier Jazzmaster
Fender Deluxe Stratocaster
Hagstrom F-301
Epiphone Dot

Big Muff Pi
Small Clone
MXR Phase 90
Dunlop CFH
Crate V33H>Bugera2x12

Bunderthird (Alt Rock)
www.facebook.com/bunderthird
Last edited by theonecalledjoe at May 9, 2011,
I own that Randall, and it's quite nice. I run my ZOOM G2.1NU through its clean channel, and I love it. However I'm growinf weary of pedals and solid state amps. So I'm working on getting a tube amp. But either, with your budget either one of those should do you fine. Good luck man.
"Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright."
Why do you have to have a stack?

A Peavey 6505+ combo, or a peavey XXX would be great for you.
Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
Quote by Major Sparky
Why do you have to have a stack?

A Peavey 6505+ combo, or a peavey XXX would be great for you.

I want to have the 4x12 Speakers and last time i checked they dont make a 4x12 combo and I own a combo amp right now im looking to upgrade. Personally I didnt like the 6505 when i tried it. but maybe i didnt dial it right who knows
Fender Telecaster
Squier Jazzmaster
Hagstrom F-301
Epiphone Dot

Big Muff Pi
Small Clone
MXR Phase 90
Dunlop CFH
Crate V33H>Bugera2x12

Bunderthird (Alt Rock)
Are you gigging? You'd probably be better off saving for a good tube amp.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
why 4x12 just asking?
Guitars
Prs Custom 24
Fender Jaguar
Gibson Les paul standard dc
Ibanez as71

Amps
Peavey xxx
Crate v-32h/cab

Effects
Dimebag wah
carbon copy
evh phase
blackstart ht-duel
holy grail plus
electric mistress stereo
dd-20
Yeah I gig. I want the 4x12 so Im louder XD. personally i would love to save up for a Mesa Rec of some sort but I dont have that kinda $ at the moment.
Fender Telecaster
Squier Jazzmaster
Hagstrom F-301
Epiphone Dot

Big Muff Pi
Small Clone
MXR Phase 90
Dunlop CFH
Crate V33H>Bugera2x12

Bunderthird (Alt Rock)
plus i can get more vercitility when i get seperate cab and head. i wont be stuck with a combo that has speakers i might not like.
Fender Telecaster
Squier Jazzmaster
Hagstrom F-301
Epiphone Dot

Big Muff Pi
Small Clone
MXR Phase 90
Dunlop CFH
Crate V33H>Bugera2x12

Bunderthird (Alt Rock)
4x12 doesn't mean louder fyi
Guitars
Prs Custom 24
Fender Jaguar
Gibson Les paul standard dc
Ibanez as71

Amps
Peavey xxx
Crate v-32h/cab

Effects
Dimebag wah
carbon copy
evh phase
blackstart ht-duel
holy grail plus
electric mistress stereo
dd-20
You do realize you can swap speakers in combos, right?
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Of those two I'd say the Valveking is your best bet. I would recommend a Jet City JCA50H or 100H. A lot of people say these don't have enough gain, but 1) I find a less heavily distorted tone often cuts more and 2) you have a Metal Muff. Sonically I've been a lot more impressed with the JCAs than with the Valveking; the sound's a lot warmer.
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
More speakers doesn't make it better. For the money you're looking at spending you'll get one good speaker which will sound a lot better than four shit ones. Get a good combo, add an extension cab later if you feel you really need to.
The Jet City 50 watt 212 should be right up your alley, then you can get a 212 cab later if you really need the extra speakers, which you probably don't.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Last edited by consecutive e at May 9, 2011,
More speakers make it sound fuller, not louder. And with your budget you're really hurting yourself by only looking at 4x12's and half stacks.
Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
Thanks guys. I'll take all this into concideration. I havn't got a chance to try the Jet City yet but I've tried the Valve King and loved it. I just needed some opinions other then my own. Although I have nothing against SS amps. Thats what I play with now and I have had tons of people tell me how good I sound. I just wanna upgrade to a stack. I have a 150w SS Combo that I use now. I am willing to go up to 900-1000 for it though depending on what kinda deal I can get.
Fender Telecaster
Squier Jazzmaster
Hagstrom F-301
Epiphone Dot

Big Muff Pi
Small Clone
MXR Phase 90
Dunlop CFH
Crate V33H>Bugera2x12

Bunderthird (Alt Rock)
Last edited by theonecalledjoe at May 10, 2011,
When will people learn a "stack" is not nessacerily an upgrade?
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
The cabs you listed are all poor construction, with poor speakers. Even some of the best amps will sound pretty bad through those. You get what you pay for... So if you can't afford to buy a nice 4x12 you're better off with a combo.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
halfstacks are like sports cars. Guys want them to prove how big they are - I was guilty of it for a while too before I upgraded to a 1x12 combo. Poster should be doing the same thing - Peavey 6505 2x12 like others have said.
Gibson SG Standard
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Fulltone OCD
EH Holy Grail
Yeah bro. What the others said. 4x12 is for show most of the time. If you're playing arenas then it might be necessary.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.