Hi guys,
I was just wondering if you guys knew of a pretty good acoustic bass guitar. I usually play metal and rock on my electric bass, but I would like one for playing on the train, in the park and places like that. Thanks in advance.
Are you looking to play by yourself or with others? Acoustic bass guitars are pretty quiet so you'll have to keep that in mind.

Price range? You're post is really useless without one.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Thanks for the answers and to shinhoman around 300 dollars is my budget atm and it would be more to play alone but the louder, the better. To obeythepenguin as this is going to be my first acoustic bass I would rather like to spend a bit less and a sturdy type would be handy as well because I'm not the handy type. To timlikeHim I have already seen that thread but his price range is a bit lower than mine. Anyway thanks for the answers.
Save up another $100 or so and take a look at the spruce top Kala U-Bass. It'll sound more upright-ish then ABG-ish, but its super portable, and the QC will generally be much better then most any lower end ABG you'd be looking at otherwise.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UBass4Spr/
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by obeythepenguin
^ How loud are those unplugged, anyway? I'm kind of curious.

I've only had a short try on one, so keep in mind my experience is a bit limited. They project better then you might think, but unplugged they're not particularly loud. Perfectly fine if you're practicing by yourself or if you wanted to take it to the park and play under a shady tree or whatever, but you'd have to plug in for sure in a band setting. Then again, you have to plug most ABG's in anyways in a band setting.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Personally I really like the looks of that Ibanez (+ it's black). I think I'm going to look up some reviews of that one. And maybe the Kala is really great but that guitar is definetely not the beautiest one. And to obeythepenguin the Olypmia looks really great but I really really like black guitars. So if you know of any good black accoustic basses please let me know. Sorry that I'm so picky should've let you know that in the first post.

And off-topic: if I make any mistakes please correct me as English is not my native language (I'm from Belgium so I speak Dutch).
Quote by DeliriumMask
Hi guys,
I was just wondering if you guys knew of a pretty good acoustic bass guitar lessons . I usually play metal and rock on my electric bass, but I would like one for playing on the train, in the park and places like that. Thanks in advance.

You should try Halfling acoustic bass. It is really nice. Very pure sound, natural, good feel, very asthetically nice also. My personal favorite is my old AB 40 and I played a Taylor recently that was also a wonderful instrument.
Last edited by ndrewoods at Oct 23, 2011,
I see someone mentioned the Olympia, and that would be my suggestion as well. It's the cheaper version of the (IMHO) best acoustic bass currently made. The only downside to it is that it's rather large, even by bass standards. The size helps it project, and in my experience of owning its notable brother, can be heard just fine sans amp with an acoustic guitar.

I've played that particular Ibanez before, and it's an okay acoustic bass...just okay. If you're just going for looks and decent tone/playability, it does the job.

Quote by Tostitos
Save up another $100 or so and take a look at the spruce top Kala U-Bass. It'll sound more upright-ish then ABG-ish, but its super portable, and the QC will generally be much better then most any lower end ABG you'd be looking at otherwise.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UBass4Spr/

I actually had a look at these in this month's Sweetwater, and I was intrigued. They almost seem like more fun than an Ashbory bass.

GRAYEDIT: And they make a fretless one!? GAS-worthy.
Back to the classic avatar.

Quote by KISSguitarist
You are the best writer ever Graybass. Sig me for that. But i love you! You should make a book!

Quote by Phil_Bass_Boy
Jesus christ, your avatar is the best I have seen in my life.

Quote by mh400nt
Graybass_20x6 has a better avatar than you
Last edited by graybass_20x6 at Oct 20, 2011,
Quote by DeliriumMask
but I would like one for playing on the train

Idk if it's different in Europe, but here you'd be That Guy who wants attention, and on a busy train A big acoustic bass would be annoying, get in the way, get damaged, and not be heard. There's a lot of articles on here asking the same question, and it always leads to this

A real acoustic bass is a standup bass, or a Mexican Guitarron. What you are wanting is an acoustic bass guitar, which is kind of an inbred cousin of an electric bass guitar and an acoustic guitar, they just in most cases are not meant to exist, as said you won't be heard by anyone if you play unplugged with others or in a noisy area, So in the end it's only really good in a quiet solo environment, plugged in, or in a recording session if you can't play/afford/find a real upright

Best to just buy an acoustic guitar and practice your rhythm chops.
I second the kala u bass........ And where the hell do you get those epic avatars graybass?
Quote by Bass First
Rump, a P-bass delivers a rump in the sound such that, similar to the rump on an African American woman, it is the highlight of the tone.
Quote by summerson1
I second the kala u bass........ And where the hell do you get those epic avatars graybass?

I own a Kala U bass. I love the thing to death. Its highly portable and when you plug it in it has a great thumpy sound.

It's audible unplugged but not so much that you are going to bug your fellow passengers. I've actually busked with mine unplugged, if that's any indication of volume.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1334261

Here's a BOTM I did on mine a while back.
Last edited by anarkee at Oct 22, 2011,
Hi, I picked up a Breedlove Atlas Solo BJ 350 CM4 Cutaway Fretless. (thats a mouthfull)
Anyways, Ive had it a couple of years. It took a while to get used to the sound not being behind me. It has a monitor hole in the top of the body for the player, which helps. It projects well out front and keeps up with any acoustic guitars. I drilled out the bridge holes, filed out the nut and put a set of Rotosound swing bass heavy guage roundwounds on it. (65 to 130)The neck handled it with no problems. It comes with Element Stage Pro electronics so if you want to plug it in it sounds real good.

If you need more volume on the train stick a woofer in your Pignose!
Quote by Astralcat19
That bass is adorable! Hows slapping sound on it when its not plugged in? My experience with slapping acoustics basses has never been very good.

Not really great for unplugged slapping and because of the strings, plugged slapping tends to sound a bit thumpy.