Page 1 of 2
The Japo band blood stain child started doing it 10 years ago, and it never really took off.
But in the past 2-3 years or so, more and more metal bands are adding synth to their music, most commercially successfuul one is probably Asking Alexandria.
Does anyone reckon its gona be the next big thing in metal? like melo death in the late 90s or metalcore in the early 2000s?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Mz5YwxnoTM&feature=related
does this sound like the way mainstream metal is gonna go?
Last edited by jb_reborn at May 9, 2011,
Will it be the next big thing? It already is, and it's not pleasant. Attack Attack! is an example.

I'm not a fan of it, and I really don't see the attraction in the 'dubstep/metalcore' hybrid style.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Bands like Rolo Tomassi and The Locust mix analogue synths into their math-y hardcore sound. I can't stand most modern metal, but these guys keep it fresh enough to warrant a listen every now and then.
that clip is cool, but I can't really hear the guitars
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-Jackson Soloist Std. Professional '93
DiMarzio Evolution (bridge) SD Lil' Screamin Demon (neck)

-B.C. Rich Warlock Special Edition Metal Web

-Peavey Bandit 112
It's not going to be the next big thing, it is the next big thing.
I like the way Enter Shikari does it, I only like the other ones in small doses.

I like it when used well, like the ambient stuff in Textures, TesseracT, Opeth and DT, although they are all progressive metal bands.

I really don't like when metal mixes with dance stuff. Dance with metal is awesome, like Infected Mushroom, but the other way round usually sounds really cheesy and dire.

EDIT: I think it might just the be that you have to do it full-on dancey, as I like Enter Shikari too.

EDIT2: vv And how could I have forgot Genghis Tron!?
Last edited by benonbass1 at May 9, 2011,
I think that only a few bands can pull it off well, Enter Shikari and Asking Alexandria being one of them. I'm not a fan of how much bands only include it as one small part of a song, it's as though they couldn't be bothered to take the time to write something said section of the song, so just put a synth in there for the sake of it.

I much prefer how bands like Shikari include them for the whole song, and work with it to produce that massive wall of sound and energy that metal and trance are known for.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Not a huge fan of the synth. So far, I've only really enjoyed Enter Shikari's style.
Enter Shikari are the only one's I've heard to do it really well.
Spiraling Up Through the Crack in the Sky...

...Leaving Material World Behind...

SOUNDCLOUD

GT - Elite Curbstomp
Normally I'm not a massive trance metal fan but I saw Silent Descent in Lewisham, they were awesome! Really solid musicianship going on there, will be cool seeing how far they can go.
All the money in the fucking world
Couldn't buy me a second of trust
Or one ounce of faith in anything you're about
Fuck you all!

-War Nerve, Pantera

A real man doesn't need to see the future, he makes his own- Solid Snake, MGS1
and I don't care if I live or die,
because I ain't ever going to no other side,
there ain't no heaven and there ain't no hell,
but I am a sinner so it's all just as well
Sure most metal these days has programmed drums anyway... It's not far off. It's weird that lots of people say they don't like the sound of synthesizers when they largely have a massive range of sounds and were originally intended to reproduce the sounds of instruments...
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.
Anyone knows of any other bands who's main element is trance + metal?
Also, enter shikari cant really count as metal..
Quote by ParasiticTwins
Bands like Rolo Tomassi and The Locust mix analogue synths into their math-y hardcore sound. I can't stand most modern metal, but these guys keep it fresh enough to warrant a listen every now and then.

On paper, Rolo Tomassi sound really fresh and intriguing. They're music, on the other hand, is garbage to me, which I found a real shame.
But the walls between synths and guitars are coming down in all genres of music, not just metal.
Gunna leave this here because I'm good friends with them even though everyone will probably hate it. The recordings are pretty old, their new stuff is way different. It's more drum and bass metal than trance
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Next Waste Dimension is a Dutch band who combine actual death metal with actual trance. (At least, in what I've heard from them. Can't say I know them very well.)
Also, I think the keyboards in Night Is the New Day, Katatonia's latest album, occasionally have a trance-y vibe. For example, listen to the chorus of The Longest Year, starting at roughly 1:35.
Quote by fortysix&2
Sure most metal these days has programmed drums anyway... It's not far off. It's weird that lots of people say they don't like the sound of synthesizers when they largely have a massive range of sounds and were originally intended to reproduce the sounds of instruments...

Depends. Don Buchla, one of the earliest synth pioneers, went against that and wanted synths to be used to create brand new sounds nobody had ever heard before. If you've ever heard a Buchla synth, I think you'll agree that he certainly achieved his goal.
I had this idea a few years ago. Unfortunately I lacked at the time, and still at this present time, the skills necessary to pull this off.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Seref
My genitals dangle limply in disgust and annoyance.
Infected Mushroom are the only good example I can think of with trance and metal elements. All the rest I have heard like the one in the op are fucking awful.
Quote by OOgly bOObly

this.
Quote by severed-metal
Come to think of it, my penis should've listened to more death metal.

Quote by Morphogenesis26
So my question is. Can Pre-Cum fluid pass through my underwear, my jeans, onto and through her jeans, through her underwear, and impregnate her?
Wow. Noone mentioned Fear Factory yet? They did a whole remix album of Demanufacture and those songs ended up on a lot of video games and movies. I'd say they were pretty successful with it...
Gear
Dean custom 350 F
Jackson Dinky DX10D
Zoom Michael Amott G1M Effects Pedal
Crappy no name pedal
Crate practice amp
SP-10 Squier amp

HOPING TO GET
Dean RC-7
Ibanez RG7321

I like cheese
Quote by jb_reborn
These guys from Dartford - England are getting signed to rising, and will be releasing a new album soon,

http://www.facebook.com/silentdescent?sk=app_2405167945
metal hammer labeled them as trance metal, theyve got a signed hard-trance producer in the band so the stuff sounds much more trancey

I'm glad you mentioned them so I didn't have to. These guys are great.
Quote by Monkeyboy_172
I'm glad you mentioned them so I didn't have to. These guys are great.

Click the link in the OP.
Quote by Athabasca
My ex did the same. Cheated on me and then acted like I'd given her sister a facial. Women are retarded.
Quote by g27dude
Wow. Noone mentioned Fear Factory yet? They did a whole remix album of Demanufacture and those songs ended up on a lot of video games and movies. I'd say they were pretty successful with it...

They're industrial metal. Industrial metal has been doing metal guitars with synths since the late '80s.
shikari isnt really metal, and their trance bits sounds really amature, their choice of synths are pretty poo IMO.
I heard this band silent descent, they are actually well good live deserve more recognition than they have!
Quote by Holy Katana
They're industrial metal. Industrial metal has been doing metal guitars with synths since the late '80s.

I suppose. Successful nonetheless. And some of the remixes barely include any guitars at all. haha
Gear
Dean custom 350 F
Jackson Dinky DX10D
Zoom Michael Amott G1M Effects Pedal
Crappy no name pedal
Crate practice amp
SP-10 Squier amp

HOPING TO GET
Dean RC-7
Ibanez RG7321

I like cheese
What you need is lazers and spaceships...Thats metal
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
Quote by Duffman123
Infected Mushroom are the only good example I can think of with trance and metal elements.

You know that's right.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by stratdud39
Well it would make sense for death metal vocals to be lifeless. Amirite?

Fixed.
Quote by stratdud39
Damnit.

I fixed it because you are right YOU FOOL!
Quote by stratdud39
Well it would make sense for death metal vocals to be lifeless. Amirite?

but who said anything about death metal??
Page 1 of 2