One of these just showed up on my local CL. How much would you guys expect to pay for one? And is it worth buying at all?
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.

They're all twin reverbs. I actually found 2 more: 1 from an unspecified year for 850, one from 1981 with the master volume for 650, and one from 81 with the master volume and extra speakers for 700.

EDIT: If you want it that bad, I can buy that thing and ship it to you... for a small fee of course. Does an extra 50 on top of the shipping cost sound fair?
Quote by dr_shred

Quote by littlephil

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Last edited by FrustratedRocka at May 9, 2011,
I got my Blues Junior down in DC the other day. I love equal distance from Baltimore and DC and between the two there's a lot of options for craigslisting. I hate driving into the city for a deal though. I lure them out with my 'fresh air.'

I see SF Twins all the time around here anywhere from $400-1000, the $400s usually having some kind of issue though. I'd say $600 is probably about right. Just keep in mind they will be a bit more sterile than their BF counterparts. For ska (which I believe you play) its a great sound, blues not so much. Isaac Brock of Modest Mouse used SF Twins for the first bit of his career... If that means anything.

Gregs: I'll do it for $49.99. I'd love to have an hour or two with that thing. I'll clean up afterwards.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at May 9, 2011,
i have some stuff to flip first.

i'm strongly considering a certain jack daniels tin...
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I don't play ska. At all. What gave you that idea?

I'm looking for jazz and blues.
Quote by dr_shred

Quote by littlephil

Quote by Banjocal

I have a silverface twin, mine was a bit more because it has been "blackfaced" (changing a few things to be like the specs of one from the 1960's, mine is from 1970 so it was so close!) and had new speakers (the orignal oxford speakers weren't anything special, JBL's on the other would have been awesome) and a mercury magnetics transformer. I play jazz and blues, it suite me very well. The reverb and tremolo are great. I would get a good overdrive pedal though, they are way to many watts to overdrive without being at a warehouse. A tube screamer does well, the Analogman Modded Tube Screamers sound amazing with Twins. Great blues tone. Get a TWIN!
Guitars:
Gibson SG Standard with Bigsby
Gibson Custom ES-137
Gibson Custom 54' Les Paul VOS Goldtop
Gretsch G6129T Silver Jet
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (modded)
1970 Fender Twin Reverb (blackfaced)

SF twins are good for anything where you need clean, stiff bright and loud - pedal/lap steel, old country, even some bass applications.

Most people mod them and/or change speakers to try to warm them up a bit. By default they take pedals poorly due to the stiffness and EQ design, so people try to improve that a bit. Then they work OK for most clean guitar applications

The reverb and trem tend to be good if it's working right. The master volume on the later ones is pretty worthless.

$650 is a decent price for a working one. Of course, on a 40 year old amp that isn't a given.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Hm... pedals are important.
Quote by dr_shred

Quote by littlephil

Quote by Banjocal

Quote by gregs1020
i have some stuff to flip first.

i'm strongly considering a certain jack daniels tin...

Good thing the PT has a 110V tap then huh? Don't expect it to be particularly cheap though, there's about $300 worth of components alone in the little sucka. However, you never know, serial No1 may be worth money one day when Cathbard cookie tin amps become a sought after commodity. Although, like most things on the artistic front, they won't be sought after until I'm dead and can't enjoy it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification