Man I haven't been here in a long, long time....

Anyways, I recently sold my basically unplayed Danelectro Dead On '67 (played great and sounded unique but after a few weeks of playing it I realized the bridge was a real fucking pain in the arse), and got a great price for it.

And so I went to get some heavy strings for my IC200 and some plectrums (I somehow lost a bag of like 30 ) and I was amazed at my local stores inventory, because the last time I was there the best guitars they had were Schecters and G&L, everything else was B.C. Rich and a nice variety of Chinese Fender/Gibson budget ripoffs.

Seeing as I had some time to kill, I sat for a couple minutes to play a real nice Italia Rimini semi-hollow, and then spotted a nice looking guitar hanging among a myriad of other beauties from the ceiling. Turns out it was a
Spector ARC 6 Pro Trem.

Now to get past the screenplay, I am GREATLY curious about anyone's experience with that guitar.

It was exactly in my price range (marked down almost $500 from MSRP, and currently sitting at $300), apparently Korean made, which appeals to me because my $250 Korean Iceman had superior quality over almost every other guitar I've played, it's aesthetically pleasing, simple tone controls, etc. etc.

I played it for just a few minutes before the store closed, and it seemed real nice. I am struggling with the bridge though, I think it was a genuine Wilkinson, but I'm not sure and I'd hate to buy another guitar on a whim and learn that it won't keep tune for shit (although it seemed quite stable as I gave it a little abuse). I've read it's a Kahler style but I could have sworn it was a Wilkinson version... Maybe Kahler builds Wilk style trems?

My other qualm is the Tesla (VR60?) pups, which I have no experience with and have never really read anything about them on UG. At $300 though, pups are not a big deal. I think the actual gut wiring (pots, jacks) is more important and I obviously can't know for sure if it's quality or not (I know they put a lot of effort into their bass quality though).

TL;DR

Would you (especially if you have experience with one) buy a Spector ARC 6 Pro Trem for $300 (really only ~$60 as I'd use the sold guitars profit)? Or should I skip it and use the money basically for gasoline? I'm an intermediate hobby player who uses an overkill Peavey VTM-60 with matching cab and Ibanez STL, if that factors into any expert advice. And I'll obviously go back to give it a good go through an amp before I actually buy it.

Sorry for the rainbow. Thanks in advance for anyone with some advice/tips on this guitar.

Here's the axe I was talking about:

By the way, please don't make me bump! I hate bumping but won't hesitate
Last edited by Tedward at May 9, 2011,
$300? Get it. I've only had experience with Spector's Basses, I owned a Spector Euro 5 for the better part of a year, solid as hell construction, it was an incredible instrument. I only sold it due to the fact it was heavy as hell and I have some back issues.
That being said Spector's Korean offerings are a bit different to their Czech and US brothers (as the $1500-10000ish price difference indicates) but still very well made instruments. The bridges are Spector's own creation, not Wilkinson or Kahler.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by consecutive e
$300? Get it. I've only had experience with Spector's Basses, I owned a Spector Euro 5 for the better part of a year, solid as hell construction, it was an incredible instrument. I only sold it due to the fact it was heavy as hell and I have some back issues.
That being said Spector's Korean offerings are a bit different to their Czech and US brothers (as the $1500-10000ish price difference indicates) but still very well made instruments. The bridges are Spector's own creation, not Wilkinson or Kahler.

This is comforting.

My friend has a Spector 5-string bass and I've played an older (maybe late '90s?) blood red neck-thru bass and they are both super solid.

As far as the bridge goes, I don't mind it's Spector's own, I didn't look at it too closely but it seemed stable enough, and (hopefully) easy to maintain, I don't believe it's locking yet fairly adjustable.

I'll probably go play it for a while tomorrow, maybe pick it up if I love it enough

EDIT:

Any word on what I should expect from the Tesla's? I've read their pretty mid heavy, which I don't mind, but lack some bite. I suppose I''ll find out.
Last edited by Tedward at May 9, 2011,
Not a clue on the Telsas mate, sorry. Maybe do some googling, Spector's usual pickup of choice is one of three different brands of EMG: EMG, EMG-HZ and EMG-SSD.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Damn that's a beautiful guitar. Never heard of those, but I'm interested now. Very nice.
"Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright."