Hey, I'm looking to buy my first electric guitar. This isnt my first guitar in general, but it will be my first electric. I bought my first acoustic guitar in December for about 100 bucks and was outplaying it by February so I went out and bought a nice Seagull S6 coastline, which I love. Now I really want to be able to start playing more classic rock songs and for that I need an electric. In all likelihood this will be the only electric guitar I'll be able to buy for at least 5 years since Im in college now and money is tight, so I want to make sure it is something that will last me for a long time. My budget is $1000 max, and that needs to include an amp as well. Im looking into guitars such as the Gibson LP Studio Faded, Godin LG series, and the Fender Special Strats, although I much prefer the shape of an LP over a Strat. Any suggestions? Like I said, ill be playing music from bands like Led Zeppelin, Guns and Roses, ACDC and Eric Claption as well as newer bands like Muse. Mostly rock, no metal.
Could go for an agile if you want a LP style guitar plus it'll give you more money for the amp. The quality of some of their stuff is meant to be at the upper end of epiphone and they're very affordable. Haven't played one myself bt have only been hearing good things about them
Maybe a more expensive Epiphone LP, but make sure you get to play it first, because they're quality varies a lot from axe to axe.

I love the VOX valvetronix series for amps, they are cheap but have a pretty excellent sound for your cash.

And you'd have some change left over
Gibson SG Faded (or used LP Faded if that's your style) + Jet City JCA20H. Go for a good electric to start with so you aren't discouraged, and get a tube amp for sure (for the same reason).

PRS SE Singlecuts are also excellent guitars.
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
take a look at the 2010 kramers, affordable and awesome, although might not be what youre looking for.
For an amp, i would recommend you to get any amp and use a nice multi effects pedal, i know im gonna get flamed, but i like it like that, you can model the amp to any sound with a multi-fx pedal (I recommend the Digitech RP's)
I would go used. If you shop around, you can get a nice electric for around $400, and a great used tube amp for around $600. You might not even need to spend that much money.
Please view my first ever recording on my profile - Tangerine by Led Zeppelin

Guitars:
Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez EW20ASE acoustic

Amp:
Peavey XXX EFX 40
Im only going to be playing in my house so I dont need a huge amp. I was thinking something like the Vox AC4TV since it has the attenuator to switch between power outputs.
+1 to the AC4 TV
Quote by Mauri_wario
I would indeed "fap that thaing", but my dog is looking at me and it feels highly iinappropriate.
PRS SE models are what I'd recommend for your tastes.

As far as an amp, I agree with the suggestions to Vox.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
At that price you probably want to split your budget: $400 guitar, $600 amp.

before looking too deep into guitars try a gibson les paul and a US fender strat (which are out your budget) and decide which you like the feel of - they are very very different and you might like the feel of one or the other (ignoring the sound for now). then listen for the sound - are you liking the single coils or the humbuckers?
Once you know you can narrow down guitars much better

Amp wise I could recommend a peavey classic 30 or 50
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Look at the PRS SE line they have great quality for the $$. As for the amp look at the Jet City JCA 20H and the matching 1x12 or 2x12, Maybe even the Bugera V22 combo.
Quote by Mishakuz
I would go used. If you shop around, you can get a nice electric for around $400, and a great used tube amp for around $600. You might not even need to spend that much money.

What he said. You can get a bangin' guitar on the used market for a budget of 400 bucks and 600 for a used tube amp will net you something mad good as well... I'm an Ibanez guy and you'd be shocked at how low some prestige's hit ebay at every once and in a while. And 400 you could net a MIJ Ibby probs but seeing as that's not your preference in guitars you could net an EC series ESP LTD Deluxe or a PRS SE model on the used market. The EC series is friggen great if you like LP shapes (I like them more than Gibson/Epiphone LP's personally) and they make a few with SD humbuckers instead of the EMG's which judging from your OP I assume would be more your style.
Ibanez S2170FB Prestige + Crunch Lab
Ibanez RG1570MRR Prestige + Crunch Lab
Taylor 214CE
Peavey 6505MH + Orange PPC112 + TS9 + ISP Decimator + MXR 10-Band EQ

Watch and subscribe to my guitar ventures!
Search Nick Catelli on YouTube
Last edited by Krauser at May 9, 2011,
Get a Fender Deluxe MIM Player's Strat for 600. And then try and find a used Fender Blues Junior. Although they are 500 new so 1100 might not be to over the budget.
Go to a music store and try a bunch. There are thousands of guitars you can get for that price range, and you won't really know which one you want until you play a bunch and see which one you like the feel and sound of most.
Quote by yankeefool265
Hey, I'm looking to buy my first electric guitar. This isnt my first guitar in general, but it will be my first electric. I bought my first acoustic guitar in December for about 100 bucks and was outplaying it by February so I went out and bought a nice Seagull S6 coastline, which I love. Now I really want to be able to start playing more classic rock songs and for that I need an electric. In all likelihood this will be the only electric guitar I'll be able to buy for at least 5 years since Im in college now and money is tight, so I want to make sure it is something that will last me for a long time. My budget is $1000 max, and that needs to include an amp as well. Im looking into guitars such as the Gibson LP Studio Faded, Godin LG series, and the Fender Special Strats, although I much prefer the shape of an LP over a Strat. Any suggestions? Like I said, ill be playing music from bands like Led Zeppelin, Guns and Roses, ACDC and Eric Claption as well as newer bands like Muse. Mostly rock, no metal.

epiphone sheraton is an AWESOME GUITAR like It played it side by side with a 335 and it blew it out of the water plus it's 500 bucks
MY GEAR:
Epiphone Sheraton 2
Takamine Jasmine J33?
60's J bass copy (trying to sell or trade)
fender mustang 1
Victoria Regal II
big muff
seed of life overdrive

"We make music for hipster strippers" Dan Auerbach
Maybe an Epiphone G400 would be a good start, they seem pretty well built with a set neck and 2 humbuckers. Perfect for classic rock and leaves you plenty of money for an amp.
My Gear:
Suzuki Classical Guitar from 60s
B.C. Rich Warlock
Epiphone Les Paul Junior
Monterey Steel String Acoustic
Maton M255 Steel String Acoustic
Agile AL-3100 w/ EMG 81/85
Bugera 6262-212
for what you want to play, a humbucker guitar would be best.

PRS, Agile, Epiphone and a gazillion others make good ones for around $500 new. ($300 used)

An egnater tweaker combo would work well for an amp. It does classic rock well and is very versatile. The jet city 20 watt combo is a good rec as well.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I'd personally look for an Agile Les Paul copy, they're really good value for money.
Failing that, get an Epiphone - much more common, but slightly more expensive if you want a good one.

Of course, going used is another option - If you look around on Ebay and such sites, you can get some truly epic deals.

Then, get either a Vox Valvetronix or a Fender Mustang amplifier. Peavey Vypyrs work better for the harder kinds of rock and metal, in my opinion.

I usually reccommend modeling amps to beginners and intermediate players, because your style can and will change rapidly during that time period. A modeling amp saves you the trouble of selling and buying a new amplifier if you find out that you really want a different sound.

If I can offer an only halfway related tip, buy your cables separately. Cables that come with guitars can and will cut out at the most inopportune times.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Last edited by PsiGuy60 at May 10, 2011,
Get an Ibanez Darkstone and a Peavey Classic 30.
I do believe that it will suit your needs.
If your going fender, get it with a fender amp. Like a deluxe mexi strat and a blues Junior.
Or even an american strat and a Mustang 2

Fender guitars sound alot better through fender amps.

Other options are a les paul studio with a Vox VT 20, epi les paul plus top, with a better Vox amp.

bottomline Vox Amps are perfect for what you want, if your getting any guitar but a fender. Fenders work well with vox amps but they sound twice as good through a fender amp.
Quote by Twist of fate
Why must the fat die young
Last edited by reggaebassman at May 10, 2011,
Quote by Jim #4
ESP LTD 401 mh and spider IV 150Watt

ignore this post TS. with any luck, the guy never reproduces.

edit: that vox ac4tv is a good idea. nice little amp.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Im kind of surprised that barely anyone has suggested a les paul faded studio. They sell for like 800 new.
In my oppinion a Tokai LS85 is the best guitar under $1000,- . An Edwards LP92 would also be a very good alternative, altough they are harder to come by in my oppinion. I guess I'm biased to Les Paul models, but Tokai produce very nice Strats, Tele's, SG's etc. According to your budget if you stay around the $1000 mark, you'll get a Japanese hand-made model and if you want to pay around the $300/$400, you'll get a Chinese one. They're both very very good for the money. Japanese Tokai's sound better then Gibsons and the Chinese ones are much better then Epiphones, say like a Gibson LP studio. I hope this helped. RE if you need more info or other recommendations. ~Harudo

Edit:

Amp-wise I would look at Vox VT's or Tube amps for the same money. Fender Champ or Marshall Class 5's are very nice Tube amps, though they don't have any FX. If you want them to have FX you'll have to invest in some Pedals or Multi-FX units (Vox Tonelab/Boss ME etc.)

To me a Class 5 hooked up to a couple of nice pedals. A nice sgnal chain would be:
Fulltone OCD --> Jim Dunlop Crybaby --> Random 7-way EQ --> Class 5 or,
Wampler Pinacle II --> Vox Ultimate Wah --> Random EQ --> Fender Champ etc.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Gold Top
Vox VT30
Last edited by darkravers009 at May 10, 2011,
I use a Godin LG Signature as my primary "rock" guitar. I used it for all guitar parts recording an EP on the weekend. It's a brilliant guitar. People consistently ask about it, and tell me it looks and sounds great.

I know that Godin mayn't have the name on the headstock, but it's completely awesome. The only drawback for some is that the neck may be a little wide for your liking, so you really should play it before buying.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by yankeefool265
Im kind of surprised that barely anyone has suggested a les paul faded studio. They sell for like 800 new.

That's because they aren't that amazing and you can get a guitar that's much better value than that.
Quote by Pac_man0123
Go to a music store and try a bunch. There are thousands of guitars you can get for that price range, and you won't really know which one you want until you play a bunch and see which one you like the feel and sound of most.

Words cannot describe how much I agree with you.
Currently Using:

Washburn X-Series w/ SH-8 and Pearly Gates
Peavey Vypyr 120h
Peavey Valveking 412 Slant
ISP Decimator
Ernie Ball .12-.56

Quote by CannedBullets
get to Wisconsin, do a S.E.A.L Team 6 style raid on her dwelling with a few other guys, show no mercy
Quote by gregs1020
ignore this post TS. with any luck, the guy never reproduces.

edit: that vox ac4tv is a good idea. nice little amp.

dude seriously wtf?

i use this stuff for years because i cant afford more. the line 6 stuff isnt that bad. its the most versatile stuff you can get for that money.

we're arent talking pro gear here.

but it will make you sound decent.

and esp makes killer guitars

with any luck you start not being so ignorant

btw: i know the amp you suggested. and its a piece of shit
Quote by darkravers009
Marshall Class 5

I agree with the Marshall Class 5 suggestion. Most of the other amps suggested are good, and definitely worth checking out, but from the bands you listed I think the Class 5 would be the most compatible with you.

DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
THEY DON'T LIKE IT UP 'EM!
Quote by Jim #4
dude seriously wtf?

i use this stuff for years because i cant afford more. the line 6 stuff isnt that bad. its the most versatile stuff you can get for that money.

we're arent talking pro gear here.

but it will make you sound decent.

and esp makes killer guitars

with any luck you start not being so ignorant

btw: i know the amp you suggested. and its a piece of shit

idiot. also my opinion on the line 6 spiders - if you want a modelling amp at least go for a vypyr..
Quote by s31770
idiot. also my opinion on the line 6 spiders - if you want a modelling amp at least go for a vypyr..

did you read what he has written? it was just a response to his disrespectful behavior.
other opinions. i'm fine with that, but not in this disrespectful way
Quote by Spartan101400
Fender Strat and Peavey Vypyr of some sort?

Highway one Fat Start

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Highway-One-HSS-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=512870">http://http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Highway-One-HSS-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=512870

Epiphone Les Paul Custom

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Custom-Electric-Guitar?sku=518350

Vox VT40+

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Valvetronix-VT40-40W-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=H68242">http://http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Valvetronix-VT40-40W-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=H68242

INHO the Vox VT40+ is one of if not the best bang for the buck amp out there.

Using more of your budget to get A better quality Axe like a Highway one Strat or Higher end Epiphone Les Paul, combined with A good quality modeling amp like the Vox VT40+ or even the Vypyr 30 would meet you're needs better right now.

It gives you time to explore what you want to do tone wise. With an axe that you won't outgrown in 6 months...

The modeling section of the VT40+ is pretty much the same as a Vox Tonelab ST.

Learn to use VT40+ controls and it's an easy transition into the Tonelab ST and tube amp later on.

The people recommending cheaper guitars and tube amps simply aren't giving you the best advice at this point.

Getting a decent quality guitar and modeling amp is a much better use of your total budget at this time.
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier