Poll: Who's Opinion Do You Value More?
Poll Options
View poll results: Who's Opinion Do You Value More?
Musician's
123 57%
Non-Musician's
2 1%
Both Are Equal
50 23%
No One ****ing Cares, STFU
39 18%
Voters: 214.
Page 1 of 3
Sorry if this has already been discussed, when I searched for it I didn't find it.
Anyways, whenever I talk about music with non-musicians, I sometimes feel like they don't have a clue what they're talking about, and that their opinions are less important than that of a musician, especially when they're criticizing my playing (either overly positively or negatively). However, I always really care about other musician's input. Is anyone else like this? Am I just pretentious or something?
*Edit. This might be a semi dumb question. But some people have told me the whole point of being a musician is to entertain people, so their opinion really matters the most, since it's them that's going to pay for your rent in the end.*
Last edited by DavidRayT at May 9, 2011,
It's because they have no idea what they're talking about, I think. I think.

Silly question, it's like asking if you value a paleontologists ideas on dinosaurs more than the popes.
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Last edited by Burgery at May 9, 2011,
It's pretentious. I mean, artists don't just do it for other artists, you're supposed to be entertaining everyone.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Oh, crap. I thought this was an already stoked and running poll.

On the other hand, I got first vote.

I'm actually not too sure about voting solely for musicians, as it really depends on which subject I want their opinion on.

I mean, if I want to learn how to do A-shape barre chords, I'd ask the ghost of Jimi Hendrix, but if I wanted to know how the Universe works then I wouldn't really give a fuck if Stephen Hawking played the guitar.

I assume Stephen Hawking doesn't play the guitar, what with being wheelchair-bound and almost entirely paralyzed and all.

LOOK

Call me Neutral.
Quote by da_
I wonder if you get more out put if you wire a battery to your penis.
Last edited by NeutralFan at May 10, 2011,
Quote by Colgate Total
You sound like a bit of an asshole, TS.

I probably am one.

I made it sound a little worse than I meant, though.
Musicians.

A non-musician doesn't know as well as a musician.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Talking about music in general, non musicians = musicians
Talking about your technical guitar ability on the other hand...
I'm selling an ernie ball wah pedal. Buy my ernie ball wah pedal.
Wah pedal.

Quote by 23dannybhoy23
That's got to be my all time favourite online death threat

Quote by smokeysteve22

My chest hurts after that.
Here's the problem. Everyone has an opinion. ON EVERYTHING. If someone who's not a guitar player comes up to me and tells me I suck, well...they can go fuck themselves. Chances are I didn't ask them.

If a guitar player comes up and tells me I suck, I ask them why they say that. It becomes pretty clear in a short amount of time whether they know enough about guitar & music in general to be telling me that.
Quote by Woffelz
Musicians.

A non-musician doesn't know as well as a musician.

Very true. Stephen Hawking is an idiot and a retard.

I should shut up about Stephen Hawking.
LOOK

Call me Neutral.
Quote by da_
Non musicians, I would guess, as a whole, spend a heck of a lot more money on other peoples music. You can rag on a 15 year old girl all you want for having horrible taste in music, but 15 year old girls have made many, many singers/musicians rich and famous.
Quote by CodChick

Seriously, I'm not a fan of iphones and guitars mixing.
Yeah, you're pretty pretentious. Aside from the fact you're asking someone who isn't learned in a subject to speak as if they're learned in it, music is highly subjective to personal opinion, and someone doesn't need to know about music to decide on whether or not it sounds good to them - layperson or professional musician alike.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
If a non-musician is giving you technical criticism about how you hold the guitar or whatever, then it's not really valued critique. If they're saying you sound like shit, that's when I'd take notice/tell them I know.
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

TBH, I'd listen to both non-musicians and musicians, whether it's about music in general, or my style of playing. Non-musicians have a different way of listening to things, unlike a guitarist who'll probably be focused on the guitar sound more than anything else. For me anyway.
Isn't it a pity?
Now, isn't it a shame?
How we break each other's hearts,
And cause each other pain...

"Music is everybody's possession. It's only publishers who think that people own it." - John Lennon
When it comes to performance I think everyone's opinions are valid. We can detect when someone's playing is "off". But when it comes to composition, I only value the opinions of composers who I have high regards for.

And no, a musician is not always an entertainer. Music is not always, nor should it be, entertainment. That's insulting.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Musicians spot different things they don't necessarily know better- but they probably know better why they think what they think.

If i play a few licks a non=guitar player may say "it sounds cool, but a bit rough" whereas a guitarist can tell me it's because of my picking technique in section X"

Same with listening to music - a non-musician may say i really don't like the album X and not quite know why it feels off whereas the musician can hear that the bassist and drummer hate each other and are out of time...
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
In some way I value the criticism of non-musicians almost more than that of musicians. A musician will pick at you not using such and such a song structure, chord progression or whatever, whereas a non-musician will tell you only what they can hear. To respond to a previous post, sure, the pope can't tell you much about dinosaurs but he can tell you which one he thinks is the most badass
🙈 🙉 🙊
Quote by Colgate Total
You sound like a bit of an asshole, TS.

the really nasty stinky bit at that.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Quote by the_white_bunny
the really nasty stinky bit at that.

I appreciate that. But only because your avatar says "THC".
Nah, everyone's got ears. If I'm talking about music to someone, it's as a listener. My "musical partner" atm doesn't play an instrument, to the best of my knowledge, but practically all we talk about is music, and I never feel "Gee, this conversation would be far better if she knew what key they were playing in."

Partly because neither do I.
Music is a listening art. Just because they can't play it doesn't mean they aren't entitled to an opinion based on what they hear.

Now that I think about it, I think a non-musician's opinion is probably less biased than that of a musician. A non-musician is less likely to judge music on the basis of things like production quality, complexity or the musician's ability to play the instrument (or lack thereof). They judge it purely based on how it sounds.
So you're discussing physics. Would you rather hear what Stephen Hawking has to say or some high school senior who took Physics honors?
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Quote by sashki
Music is a listening art. Just because they can't play it doesn't mean they aren't entitled to an opinion based on what they hear.

Now that I think about it, I think a non-musician's opinion is probably less biased than that of a musician. A non-musician is less likely to judge music on the basis of things like production quality, complexity or the musician's ability to play the instrument (or lack thereof). They judge it purely based on how it sounds.

Music should not be based on how it sounds. At all.
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
It depends on the person Some non-musicians have some great input and some musicians have horrific input. Really depends on the genre your playing against what they are into. I wouldnt expect some one who listens to only dubstep to have a relevant oppinion on lets say country or polka. And people are more closed minded than you think so there is no need to get to get butthurt over someone who doesnt like your playing because no matter how popular or good you become some one is always going to say you suck so get over it. Geeze kids these says
Quote by sashki

True... I do write off some music just because the production is terrible.
And I don't mean I don't listen to some non-musicians, and I don't NOT listen to some musicians(IDK if that came out right...), but a bunch of non-musicians are just un-tasteful and listen to music for the catchy choruses. ._.
Quote by losing battle
It depends on the person Some non-musicians have some great input and some musicians have horrific input. Really depends on the genre your playing against what they are into. I wouldnt expect some one who listens to only dubstep to have a relevant oppinion on lets say country or polka. And people are more closed minded than you think so there is no need to get to get butthurt over someone who doesnt like your playing because no matter how popular or good you become some one is always going to say you suck so get over it. Geeze kids these says

Lol, I don't get butthurt over people saying I suck. Mainly because I know I'm mediocre.
Quote by Burgery

Agreed. S'all about the taste.
Having non-musicians as an audiance is just very different from musicians (or just general people who are very musically interested). What audience you wish to please is all up to you. Playing loud rock music is a great way to get a crowd of high school people to move, playing complicated jazz will make them walk away. Some music only works for certain audiences, and when you play in front of friends who aren't musically its better to play a famous song then try and impress them with technical difficulties, its just gonna frustrate you (and them).
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
So you're discussing physics. Would you rather hear what Stephen Hawking has to say or some high school senior who took Physics honors?

Quiet. I've already taken Stephen Hawking for this thread.

Quote by Burgery

Right.

I'm going to go and not listen to some music.

But first I'm gonna sig this.

Edit: Thank you for that. You've made my day.
LOOK

Call me Neutral.
Quote by da_
Last edited by NeutralFan at May 9, 2011,
Quote by NeutralFan
Quiet. I've already taken Stephen Hawking for this thread.

Right.

I'm going to go and not listen to some music.

But first I'm gonna sig this.

Edit: Thank you for that. You've made my day.

I'm 90% sure he was being sarcastic about it not being judged on sound.
i have a friend who is a shocking guitar player, then he runs his mouth off about how bands like Sinergy and Nightwish suck

yet, he can't sing or play very well at all, i don't think he has any ground to stand on.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

The question is who's opinion do you value more? Why are you guys getting upset over this?

OT: Of course I value a musician's opinion more, because they are more educated on the matter. Their critiques will often be specific and actually have a point, rather than the common person just saying "I don't like it because...it sounds bad"
PM me for newts
I value fellow musician's opinions more but it's nice to get the perspective of a non-musician.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
Quote by will123456789
If a non-musician is giving you technical criticism about how you hold the guitar or whatever, then it's not really valued critique. If they're saying you sound like shit, that's when I'd take notice/tell them I know.

I definitely agree.

A non musician can probably give me better input on how accessible my music is.
Well it all depends on what you mean by sound. I listen to some things that sound absolutely horrible because of crap guitar tone and production quality but I can still see that it's great music.

You get me?
Quote by korinaflyingv
Quote by Burgery
Well it all depends on what you mean by sound. I listen to some things that sound absolutely horrible because of crap guitar tone and production quality but I can still see that it's great music.

You get me?

I completely get you. But I can't listen to some EPs and albums due to their sound. If the guitar sounds awful, I just can't listen to it for too long.
Quote by DavidRayT
I completely get you. But I can't listen to some EPs and albums due to their sound. If the guitar sounds awful, I just can't listen to it for too long.

It's easy to overcome this. Just listen to it more
Quote by korinaflyingv
Quote by DavidRayT

*Edit. This might be a semi dumb question. But some people have told me the whole point of being a musician is to entertain people, so their opinion really matters the most, since it's them that's going to pay for your rent in the end.*

WRONG

the whole point of being a musician is to entertain yourself not others, if you do that just because somebody likes it or somebody will pay you for it, your music will probably suck.
Quote by nianoniano92
WRONG

the whole point of being a musician is to entertain yourself not others, if you do that just because somebody likes it or somebody will pay you for it, your music will probably suck.

Haha, I know. That's my thoughts on it. And I think typically when I play for myself, it's more of something other musicians would like rather than non-musicians.
Quote by DavidRayT
I'm 90% sure he was being sarcastic about it not being judged on sound.

I'm pretty sure too, but that's not going to stop me.
LOOK

Call me Neutral.
Quote by da_
Page 1 of 3