well i have this peavey 6505 laying around that i dont use and hate, and since it wont sell on CL, i figured i'd mod the hell outta it. idk the FIRST thing about modding amps though, but I plan on a cabinet rehouse and changing it from a top control amp to a front control amp.
I dont necessarily want to know so much about which mods are good so much as how to mod an amp (common mods that are good are accepted too though), and what i can experiment with without destroying everything. It's basically a 6505 modding thread I'm sure I'll get lots of posts. Heres what I want

Creamy od (not nasty shrill shedder 80's stuff and metal core stuff)
awesome fender cleans
huge full sound
weight reduction
relatively reasonable prices
- Cody

Quote by Ninja Vampirate
What a faggot, do a few lines of cocaine and have a shot of whiskey or 5 if you want to study right
well the easiest way to sort out the overdrive and cleans is to just change the type of tubes. i'm not sure if it's possible to change the type of tube the amp uses, but i'm pretty sure 6L6 tubes are much better for clean and low to mid gain styles
PRS SE Torero | Fender MIM Tele | Jackson RR3

Bugera TriRec Infinium | Randall RH50T

Marshall 1960AV

Soundcloud
Band Facebook
it already has 6l6 tubes and i have changed them to a nicer kind, the cleans still totally suck. If I were to change the type of tube the amp runs on, i have have to swap out the fixed bias resistor thats in it for a variable resistor, but idk how to do that for sure. However it would make my amp not so obscenely loud.
- Cody

Quote by Ninja Vampirate
What a faggot, do a few lines of cocaine and have a shot of whiskey or 5 if you want to study right
"idk the FIRST thing about modding amps"

Then STOP right there.

There is lethal current inside amps (even if its turned off and unplugged), you do not need to go trying to mod an amp if you've never done it before. Take it somewhere and have it done.
Quote by makuserusukotto
"idk the FIRST thing about modding amps"

Then STOP right there.

There is lethal current inside amps (even if its turned off and unplugged), you do not need to go trying to mod an amp if you've never done it before. Take it somewhere and have it done.

Seriously listen to this guy. Take it to a tech to have the mods you want done. You DO NOT want to risk it if you do not have any idea how to mod these.
"For we are nothing without brotherhood and brotherhood is nothing without our brothers" -We Came As Romans
it has no tubes in it and has been off and unplugged for months. I'm not too worried about injuring myself. my dad is a low voltage technician for a living so he can help me.
- Cody

Quote by Ninja Vampirate
Stick a couple of 5751's in it for better cleans...
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by crice6505
it has no tubes in it and has been off and unplugged for months. I'm not too worried about injuring myself. my dad is a low voltage technician for a living so he can help me.

Doesn't matter.

Filter caps can keep charge for ridiculous amounts of time.

Sell it and get something more suited to your style.
Quote by makuserusukotto
Doesn't matter.

Filter caps can keep charge for ridiculous amounts of time.

Sell it and get something more suited to your style.

Peavey 6505 has a totem pole configuration for the initial filter caps, so they will discharge when the amp is turned off.

There are a few things that can be done to the amp but you have to be extremely careful working with the voltages. While the caps should be discharged the first thing you should do, once you've unplugged the amp from the wall and opened it, is to measure the voltage across the caps. If it is above 25V DC then you want to wait till it discharges.

One thing you could do to change the gain structure of the amp is to change R42 to something like 1.5k and remove R124. This essentially changes it from a cold clipper (Modern distortion) to a regular gain stage. This may be too much gain though, but its a good place to start.

Go here http://www.aikenamps.com/
Click on Tech Info, Introductory, and Safety and real that before you even start to open the amp up

Don't do anything without checking the voltages across the power supply caps. They can kill you, and they will kill you if you play with them. Electricity isn't something to be afraid of... as long as you respect it.
thank you very much xgamer, i will very much make sure to take the necessary precautions. i dont wanna risk my health but i have been looking to get into hardcore diy for a while now.
- Cody

Quote by Ninja Vampirate
You can swap out the pre-amp tubes for something with less gain... 12au7 or something. Not much risk there...