I just wanted to share this with everyone. I'm sure everybody has played a game and tried coming up with a good name for a character, but they can't think of one. Well, I've compiled a list of various cool names from obscure sources, such as NPC characters from old games, ancient mythological beings, among others.

It's probably best for MMORPGs, a fantasy universe, aliens, etc.

I'd like to give it a test drive. Give it a go, post the name it gives you, and tell me what you think of it (its possible to repeat the name generation if you don't like the result):

http://tinyurl.com/coolnamegenerator/

Also, it's only male names for now. I will add a female option later.
Last edited by nincompoop at May 9, 2011,
I put in my forum name and it came up with Malvingeroth, pretty impressive ^^
Periphery, love that shit!
Thinking of a name is consistently the single most frustrating thing about RPGs. After an hour I finally make up something awesome, only to find that some douche-canoe already picked it.

Aggonar.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
My real name gives me Jormungand
My forum name gives me Barbatos
My Minecraft name gives me Lethvalin, which is pretty close to Leviathan, so I'll take it.
My usual RPG name gives me Vittorio

Pretty cool thing.
Quote by happytimeharry
Thinking of a name is consistently the single most frustrating thing about RPGs. After an hour I finally make up something awesome, only to find that some douche-canoe already picked it.

Exactly. That's why I created this generator. I'm always envious of people with really cool names, so I thought it might be cool to make something like this.

I plan on adding thousands of names if possible, just to decrease the chance of someone else having a name someone ends up with. There are a couple of names I've used from the list that I've yet to see others use, in fact.
My name : Magtheridon
Xbox live gamertag : Corlagon
Obama : Anubarak
- - - - - - - - - - -
Quote by happytimeharry

douche-canoe was the best name you could think of after an hour!?
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Quote by doive
douche-canoe was the best name you could think of after an hour!?

No, that was the name I had to settle on after Flustercucker was already taken.
Thomas - Thorgas.

That's pretty cool. I could see it come in handy. Good job.
Signatures are stupid.
Pretty neat TS, reminds me of the old days i used to struggle with names when using RPG Maker, man epic nostalgia right there. So, double thanks! =D
I always name my character Zoidberg but this is pretty cool.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
First name I got Gyldenholt.
Last name I got Tzitzimime.
Forum name I got Callicantzaros.

I think I might actually use Gyldenholt on LOTRO now
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
Quote by AnAngrySquirrel
Paul results in Chezarul.

A bit sexist this generator though isn't it?

Perhaps. The list was originally a text file of names I had compiled for personal use, thus the male-only nature of its current state.

Soon I will have a comparable list of female names as well. I may end up calling this current list "Male/Gender Neutral" and then have a "Female" list.

Quote by DeaThrash
Pretty neat TS, reminds me of the old days i used to struggle with names when using RPG Maker, man epic nostalgia right there. So, double thanks! =D

Thanks all and double welcome.

One trick that sometimes works is if you have a name that you like and want something similar, you can put it through the generator. However, sometimes the name you put in won't be very close to anything, so it might give you the closest thing or just something random.
Quote by Good_Lord
My name : Magtheridon
Xbox live gamertag : Corlagon
Obama : Anubarak

Anubarak Obama
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Real name --> Dagwanoenyent
My usual game name --> Xaphan
Forum name --> Alfan

It's alright I guess
Quote by ABRfan
Real name --> Dagwanoenyent
My usual game name --> Xaphan
Forum name --> Alfan

It's alright I guess

It depends on the names you put in. I guess you had a poor draw.

Quote by The_Casinator
Cacus? What?

That's... huh. Not sure how that one got in there. Doesn't sound like one I'd approve.
I am Anubarak, ruler of something!

ROAR!
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.