Right, so i want to join the British Paras. My question is, if i have glasses will i still be able to join the Parachute Regiment or will i have to join a different reg? because when i wear glasses my vision is just about perfect (as far as i can tell) and my optician says that my eyes have got better since i first started them.
Quote by uk.mace
This man is smart.

Quote by guitar-guy69
you spelt colors wrong

Tweet me bro.
Your best off asking your careers office or army jobs on facebook. Different jobs got different eyesight requirements.
I can't imagine that it would hold you back. In the American military, if you need glasses they give you extra pairs.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
You'll have to have your eyes replaced. I could be wrong though, so check with an Army careers person first.
I can't see why it would matter unless you are blind as a bat. I got deferred at my first selection for just missing the requirement for my job in one eye. Second time I went I gave my eyes time to adjust without glasses and passed.

Thing is my job has higher eyesight requirements because it involves a lot of computer screens.
Last edited by Greenie_777 at May 9, 2011,
If you're vision is correctable, then you're good. I wear glasses/contacts, though I'm getting laser surgery soon.
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Greenie_777
I can't see why it would matter unless you are blind as a bat. I got deferred at my first selection for just missing the requirement for my job in one eye. Second time I went I gave my eyes time to adjust without glasses and passed.

Thing is my job has higher eyesight requirements because it involves a lot of computer screens.

Thankfully i'm very far from being 'blind as a bat' so i may be lucky, i'm going to check on the MOD web as they have a live chat thing, so i'll be able to get some answers there

Just out of interest, what sort of work are you doing?

Quote by Dreadnought
If you're vision is correctable, then you're good. I wear glasses/contacts, though I'm getting laser surgery soon.

I'm 18 now and i want to do my degree and officer training at Sandhurst first so i have a few years to get it corrected via laser if need be.
Quote by uk.mace
This man is smart.

Quote by guitar-guy69
you spelt colors wrong

Tweet me bro.
Last edited by blankoff at May 9, 2011,
Quote by blankoff
Thankfully i'm very far from being 'blind as a bat' so i may be lucky, i'm going to check on the MOD web as they have a live chat thing, so i'll be able to get some answers there

I'm 18 now and i want to do my degree and officer training at Sandhurst first so i have a few years to get it corrected via laser if need be.

Electronic Warfare Systems Operator. Hopefully If I work hard I can get on the Light Electronic Warfare Team and do P company, that's my aim anyway.

Laser eye surgery is not entirely accepted by the British army yet not like the Americans who can actually get it paid for. There are certain types of surgery that will bar your entry and i'm pretty sure you have to have a year or 2 after you've had the surgery before they'll even look at you.
Last edited by Greenie_777 at May 9, 2011,
Originally Posted by Chromeproguitar
they make horrible noises in the middle of the night (is it sex?)

Quote by CliffIsAngry
I guess she's pretty hot if you're into that "having a good music video, but not better than Beyonce's" kind of thing...
Unless i'm mistaken, you can't join the RAF with glasses, so i don't know if you'd be able to join the paras.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Quote by blankoff

You don't have to get that done yourself. Mine is being done by and paid for by the Army
Quote by Greenie_777
Laser eye surgery is a bit of dodgy subject with the British army.

http://www.lasikreviews.co.uk/laser-eye-surgery-british-military-policy.htm

For me laser surgery is a final solution, if need be i'll join up at a different reg and try for a transfer to the Paras (if that's possible).
Quote by uk.mace
This man is smart.

Quote by guitar-guy69
you spelt colors wrong

Tweet me bro.
^ that's why I recommend against getting it done by yourself.
Quote by blankoff
For me laser surgery is a final solution, if need be i'll join up at a different reg and try for a transfer to the Paras (if that's possible).

You're gonna have to work hard to get in the Paras let alone be an officer there. I don't envy you.

I'm not looking forward to the stick I'm gonna get from the glasses they issue you in training. Think along the lines of this.

Suppose it's easier than breaking your own or getting an eye infection from contacts.
Quote by blankoff

You would be very lucky for that to happen mate, due to current levels of personnel, regiments are almost refusing point blank to allow anybody to move around, not to mention they are finding it hard to have time to allow for training ( personal fitness, not actual regimented exercise ) due to the short periods between deployments.

though tbh you should be fine, I would be more concerned with the insane level of fitness needed to pass through P company in the first place.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Greenie_777
You're gonna have to work hard to get in the Paras let alone be an officer there. I don't envy you.

I'm not looking forward to the stick I'm gonna get from the glasses they issue you in training. Think along the lines of this.

*image*

Suppose it's easier than breaking your own or getting an eye infection from contacts.

Yeah, the work/fitness i'll have to do to get into the Paras is going to be very hard, but i'm determined to do this and i'm willing to do anything to get in.

Also, i've heard after basic you can wear your civvy glasses as long as they are approved by the Army, and that it would help to get a sports band thing to keep them attached to your head. And i've heard you can wear contacts as well in some circumstances.

ANd thanks everyone for the replies

Quote by Tom 1.0
though tbh you should be fine, I would be more concerned with the insane level of fitness needed to pass through P company in the first place.

Yeah, i heard P company is torture but a few people who pass it say it is well worth it (my mates dad is ex-para), even just for the confidence and fitness boost you gain.
Quote by uk.mace
This man is smart.

Quote by guitar-guy69
you spelt colors wrong

Tweet me bro.
Last edited by blankoff at May 9, 2011,
Quote by Greenie_777
Pretty interesting documentary on youtube about P company if your interested

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOuWHD0D0GM

May be old but I doubt it's changed.

Cheers for the link, I heard about this a while ago, it never occurred to me to find it on YouTube haha.
Quote by uk.mace
This man is smart.

Quote by guitar-guy69
you spelt colors wrong

Tweet me bro.