The Glass Prison
The Mirror
A Nightmare to Remember

With that out of the way, I'll say that there are some good riffs and ideas in there, but it's very unstructured. There seems to be this idea in the prog scene now that a prog song has to be a linear, chronological series of riffs with no (or very few) overlying motifs. If that's what you're going for, then great, you succeeded. I'm not a fan of it though.

However, if you were wanting a more cohesive structure, I would recommend pulling pieces from different parts of the song and applying them in a way so that they feel familiar once the full theme comes around (for instance, a teaser of the melody from the guitar solo during a section, which makes it more powerful when the solo actually hits full on.) Jethro Tull and John Williams are great examples of this that immediately come to mind.

The heavy riffing is nice, but remember that the danger in those low guitar parts is that they are very hard to get a good definition out of. I don't know what you have available to record with, but it seemed a little muddy at times (not so much a playing or composition issue as a mechanical one, but it all factors in to the overall song).

I like the ideas you have here, but as a song it feels incomplete. To me it just needs something to pull it together and make it a bit more outstanding. Also, don't let your influences influence you TOO much

If you want to hear some of my music, it's on my profile, just leave a comment (Universe is my newest song).
Thanks for the reply dude. Yeah i didnt intentionally set out to pretty much rip DT off but some how it just happened haha. I will try and be a bit more original next time. It was a good exercise writing in the style of the though.

One of the criteria on the brief we had was to use structure in an different way (not ABA ect.) so i decided that I would go for a kind of through composed stuff but the teaser idea would work well in parts of the piece.

As for the recording i couldnt record using my Mesa as i was doing it at home. (that would have made a huge difference) so i had to use Pod Farm which isnt that bad but i would have like to record through my Mesa Boogie.
Ah it all makes sense now! (I'm not a fan of the Pod) Yeah, again as lame as it may seem the E.T. score (John Williams) has great examples of a non standard linear technique that works in those subtle motifs that really carry along a composition.

Also, Mesa Boogie amps are amazing. I r teh jelly
Yeah with only a 4 min length as well its hard to cram all that stuff in. Maybe less ideas but more development would be a better way to approach it next time.

The Mesa's are beautiful sounding amps. The keep the bottom end so tight and all the muddyness just seems to disappear. I have played this track on my mesa and it sounds awesome. Maybe if I can get some studio time at uni I could replace the guitar at a later date.
Nope not at all. We could also only use 4 pitched instruments. Kinda sucks. Next year we have to hand in a 30 min portfolio but we can do what ever we want for that so I'm really looking forward to it.
Quote by ibanezfaz
Nope not at all. We could also only use 4 pitched instruments. Kinda sucks. Next year we have to hand in a 30 min portfolio but we can do what ever we want for that so I'm really looking forward to it.

Haha, maybe it's the smartass in me, but with that I'd use three flutes a tuba and a fifty piece percussion section.
I might just have to try that one day. sounds crazy! The last piece i wrote used Glock, Xylophone, Piano, Guitar, Bass and Drums so so it wouldn't be totally out of the ordinary for me to attempt something like that haha.