i play a mexican fender jazz bass through a laney rb8 and it just sound so bad! i can't seem to get that classic jazz bass sound, i was thinking about getting some emg's and a couple of pedals to fatten the sound, what would you advise?
wierdly my cheap peavey millenium sounds great, so i'm thinking it is the mim pickups
what's the difference between a drug dealer and a prostitute?

a drug dealer can't wash his crack and sell it again
You won't get a ''classic'' tone with EMG's or pedals. The issue is most likely that you aren't EQ-ing strategically. Another issue could be what you consider ''classic'' tone, a lot of which is possibly down to more colourful amps.
i'm lacking the warmth i expected from the instrument, i wan't that deep warm growl, it might be because it's a transistor amp

Growl= mids and trebles, emphasize on the bridge pickup
Warm/bassy= bass, use the neck pickup more
AMAZING= everything all the way up, both pickups full power, use your hands to make the sound you want
Quote by Tyson2011
when in doubt, adjust the truss rod.

Sfedf the First ...
or should it be the insane?
Quote by Creeping_Kwano
i'm lacking the warmth i expected from the instrument, i wan't that deep warm growl, it might be because it's a transistor amp

Favour the neck pickup, but use the bridge to add sparkle and clarity. If you REALLY are desperate for pickup swaps then consider a pickup with a more vintage voicing.

Growl= mids and trebles, emphasize on the bridge pickup
Warm/bassy= bass, use the neck pickup more
AMAZING= everything all the way up, both pickups full power, use your hands to make the sound you want

Not sure if serious?
Last edited by GrStMyGn at May 9, 2011,
EMG's won't help you, if anything they'll make it more sterile and dull, but if you want a bit more growl, you could change your strings more often, pluck harder, and nearer the bridge, and maybe even get a bass OD for some light grit/grind in your tone.
Quote by GrStMyGn
Not sure if serious?

Nothing like the sound of a cranked jazz.

TS, try some new strings if you want growl.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by Stud_Muffin
EMG's won't help you, if anything they'll make it more sterile and dull, but if you want a bit more growl, you could change your strings more often, pluck harder, and nearer the bridge, and maybe even get a bass OD for some light grit/grind in your tone.

+1 for the OD pedal. It has very much effect, even if used only little gain from the pedal. It makes really a difference. My brother's sound was something rather just powerful with only bass and amp. When he bought an OD pedal (Ashdown James Lomenzo Signature btw), it really gave a boost to his sound and now it's really metal and stuff. NOTE: His tone is seriously NOT distorted, only a little bit overdriven.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Quote by GrStMyGn

Not sure if serious?

I hope not...

As far as tone, if you're going for growl, you'll want the frequencies from mid-low to mid high to be as pronounced as possible, and roll the pickups so that it's sitting about 80% on the bridge and 20% on the neck, just to round it out and make it not entirely 'throaty.'

Remember - most of your tone comes from your amp, so if you're really dissatisfied with tone, look there first.

That said, it couldn't hurt to check the wiring in your bass as well just to be safe, but it seems like the issue here is you EQing.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
thanks for the advice guys!

Quote by GrStMyGn
Favour the neck pickup, but use the bridge to add sparkle and clarity. If you REALLY are desperate for pickup swaps then consider a pickup with a more vintage voicing.

Not sure if serious?

Funny enough, I boost my bass and treble knob all the way up on my bass but I compensate for it on my amp settings

Sounds better that way. I pretty much use them only if I want to cut something. Its actually more practical that way (well, for me).
pinga
You guys are wierd

Seriously, It's very rare I'll actually crank everything on my jazz, the exception being for thrash metal oddly, the tone is very gritty, but boomy too.