2nd concert this friday, so I wondered what I should dress up like?

I wanna dress so it fits the style of the music. We're playing "Black Strobe - I'm A Man" and "Joe Bonamassa - Ballad of John Henry".

Links to the songs:
Joe Bonamassa - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMFNF5iTOVM&feature=BFa&list=WL808BAA9000FBECD5&index=14

I'm A Man - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hdL65J8m9A&feature=BFa&list=WL808BAA9000FBECD5&index=10

I sing in a fairly low register, so the songs will be a little bit heavier, compared to the originals. MY girlfriend suggests pyramid spikes and such, but what do you think?
Include pics/websites etc. in suggestions

Thanks in advance!
GEAR:

EPIPHONE LES PAUL GOTH

ROLAND CUBE 30x

Digitech Death Metal Distortion

Rock on!
Last edited by Tthunbo at May 9, 2011,
Personally I'm a big fan of t-shirts and jeans. If you don't like that option, tuxedos are nice. Or you could go with the classic "clown shoes + yellow thong + leather jacket + chef's hat" approach.
Quote by rickyj
dress how you normally do.

Problem is that I usually wear either work or sports clothes :/
GEAR:

EPIPHONE LES PAUL GOTH

ROLAND CUBE 30x

Rock on!
Quote by AeolianSeventh
Personally I'm a big fan of t-shirts and jeans.

James Hetfield-like?
GEAR:

EPIPHONE LES PAUL GOTH

ROLAND CUBE 30x

Rock on!
Quote by Tthunbo

jeans and a band shirt(not of the artists your covering)
wear a black suit with a thin black tie
and ray ban wayferers
and a black trilby
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Why not go for something like a Casual Jacket, Shirt with sleeves rolled up and Jeans...with a set of Vans or Converse
I'd just use something casual.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Think I'mma stick to the black jeans - t-shirt setup along with the black suit, black tie and hat.

Thanks for the quick response everyone!
GEAR:

EPIPHONE LES PAUL GOTH

ROLAND CUBE 30x

Rock on!
Quote by Tthunbo

I don't really see why that's a problem :/

My drummer usually wears gym shorts and a t-shirt, I usually wear jeans and a t-shirt, and our singer wears ****ing pajamas.

What you wear should fit the gig more than the music, i.e. if you're playing a fancy gig, wear classy clothes like a tux or some other form of suit. If it's a bar or club gig, really just any place that isn't fancy, just wear whatever. If you put too much thought into it, then it can sometimes look forced, at least I think so.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
How do I dress on stage? I usually dress in the privacy of my bedroom.
For dress, I'd say you could probably go about with however you want to dress, like your normal style (but I'd go a bit "more" if that makes sense, such as, if you're like me, and you commonly wear a shirt and jeans, it'd be a case of like, unbuttoning the top (maybe two) buttons and wearing the nicest jeans available, just as an example!).

If you're only doing two songs people won't be paying attention to your dress too much.
Make sure that you aren't a million miles away from what everyone else is wearing (like you don't want to be in ripped jeans with a studded belt when the bassist is wearing a suit, or something).

But generally, unless you're a covers/function band or in a band of a style which has a definitive look (like certain punk bands will fit the mohawk, sleeveless t-shirt, tight jeans looks, or something like a two-tone ska band who needs to wear black/white casual suits, etc.)

So yeah, in short, dress how you think would suit!
Don't go overboard, but don't think too little about your appearance, afterall, people are coming to watch a band.

But as many people have said, t-shirt and jeans can be fine!
I don't know about the rest of you all but pretty much every stage I've ever been on had a tendency to get really hot. I couldn't imagine trying to perform in a suit and tie. The heat from the lights would kill me and you can pretty well forget about moving around much. Jeans and a light T-shirt- possibly even shorts this time of year...
Quote by QuantumMechanix
Wear whatever you want. No one's going to notice or care anyway.

I wouldn't agree on this.... I'm sure Slayer wouldn't ever perform dressed in colorful clothes and flowers ;/
GEAR:

EPIPHONE LES PAUL GOTH

ROLAND CUBE 30x

Rock on!
Quote by Tthunbo
I wouldn't agree on this.... I'm sure Slayer wouldn't ever perform dressed in colorful clothes and flowers ;/

No, but if they did you probably wouldn't notice unless you were right up front. And even then you probably wouldn't care as long as they still sounded good.

The point is, just wear whatever. If you're trying to decide whether to wear your Metallica shirt or your Megadeth shirt, the truth is, no one is going to notice or care.
I hate my sig
Quote by Hydra150
How do I dress on stage? I usually dress in the privacy of my bedroom.

watch an rhcp concert in reverse
Quote by Hydra150
wear a black suit with a thin black tie
and ray ban wayferers
and a black trilby

I was actually going to make fun of you for posting something like this, but after listening to the song samples, probably this.

This sounds like stuff you want to dress up for. Shirt and Tie, at least, and a Jacket if you won't get too hot. The Wayfarers would definitely work.

Not so sure about the trilby, unless you're Elvis Costello.

Edit: The blues is a genre where you need to dress the part or people won't take you seriously. Sure, wearing anything you want works at a local level metal show, but with the blues, musicians look like musicians, not just a bunch of scrubs with instruments. I mean, just look at how Bonamassa dresses. You almost never find him in "shorts and a T-shirt." Or B.B. King--you'll never find him in anything less than a Sunday Suit. Hell, even SRV dressed up.

It's the little things like dressing up that separates the Professionals from the Hobbyists.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Last edited by kangaxxter at May 10, 2011,
I disagree with both you and my own post.

(Edit: I should say, I dont completely agree, but yeah definately wear wayferers, youll look badass, and I think going a bit more formal Is always cool, even when the music is less formal. Feel free to not read the following wall for text)

Was really going for a Blues Brothers reference with the black suit/trilby thing, only semi serious (I am a massive Blues Brothers fan, and own that outfit) I would say that, unless you are BB King or in his band, or had an equally classy gig, just wear whatever you feel is appropriate. And those songs posted in this thread dont really scream classy to me, more sleazy blues-rock (which I very much approve of btw).

For just about every blues musician apart from Mr King I bet I could find a video or photo of them performing in a shirt and jeans or whatever. The blues is quite a relaxed genre and its often more appropriate to look like the average guy singin about the troubles of and average mans life than to look like a performer on a stage far removed from ordinary people- its less relatable. Maybe not in the earlier days of the blues, when a suit would be expected of a man to look respectable for most occasions, but this is 2011.

That said, its completely up to the individual, and if I were in a rockin blues band Id try convince my bandmates to wear matching suits.
Last edited by Hydra150 at May 10, 2011,
Quote by Hydra150
Was really going for a Blues Brothers reference with the black suit/trilby thing, only semi serious (I am a massive Blues Brothers fan, and own that outfit)

I'm in a Blues Brothers tribute band, and we all wear that outfit. It's good fun.

Now some people here are saying "just dress how you normally do, nobody will notice", well this couldn't be further from the truth. The majority of local bands will just wear t-shirts and jeans, just like the audience members. Actually they could be audience members if they weren't on stage playing. After they've stopped playing it can be hard to see them in the audience again, all wearing the same thing as everyone else.

What you should have is a band uniform. Wanna have t-shirts and jeans? Well that's fine. Make sure that everyone in the band has blue jeans and a plain yellow shirt. It's going to look a whole heap better than random band shirts with different coloured jeans and shorts. I have a different band where we arrive with big jumpers and set up our gear wearing those, and people are assuming we're just wearing the same stuff as them, but when we're about to play, off come the jumpers and we're all wearing black shirts, silver ties and vests. When the jumpers come off, and we get on stage, people stop and take notice. They can see we're the band, we've got the clothes on, it's all matching and we mean business.

With the amount of fans of metal on this site I'm quite surprised that people are saying nobody will notice if you dress differently. Yes this is coming from fans of bands who consistently wear face paint and masks.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Gold codpiece.

Just a gold codpiece.

You'll stand out, but I can't be blamed for anything else that happens.
Quote by AlanHB
I'm in a Blues Brothers tribute band, and we all wear that outfit. It's good fun.

Im jealous, there are plenty Blues Brothers tributes around though so Im sure Ill get my turn.

Youre probably right about the rest of the stuff you said aswell - it will make you look a bit more professional and memorable, and I would certainly go for some sort of continuity between the band members, although most bands I see (famous or not) dont have a uniform so its not essential, just make sure your outfit is appropraite to the music and venue, and in most cases dressing casually wont be out of place.

Alan, does your whole band wear the black suit outfit or just the frontmen? Most of the time in the films (even when they're performing) its only the singers who are in suits, and when they toured it was the same; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWEhU6cCuWQ
Quote by AlanHB
With the amount of fans of metal on this site I'm quite surprised that people are saying nobody will notice if you dress differently. Yes this is coming from fans of bands who consistently wear face paint and masks.

man I was gonna say that hahaha

but yeah pretty much everything Alan said. try to do something to separate yourself from the audience. I personally don't think it's that big of a deal if your at a party, but at any real venue, you should totally try to stand out at least a bit.
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
maybe jeans and a buttoned shirt with the sleeves rolled up. kind of smart casual?
Quote by Hydra150

Alan, does your whole band wear the black suit outfit or just the frontmen? Most of the time in the films (even when they're performing) its only the singers who are in suits, and when they toured it was the same; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWEhU6cCuWQ

Yeah we do the whole band. Black suits, white shirts, black ties and hats.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Could always do somethig different like Angus Young, school uniform in rock 'n' roll as an example. Either that or just do the ordinary t-shirt and pants.
Quote by '93
watch an rhcp concert in reverse

^^

EDIT: Smiley Fail.
Quote by AllenHB
Seriously you're thinking about music theory all wrong. It doesn't tell you how to write, it' examines what's already written.
I'm a huge fan of metal, but all the face painting and chains and spikes just looks retarded and comes off as pretentious. I usually try to wear something somewhat eye catching and memorable so people will notice us but I really don't put much thought into it. Most people are there to listen to music not look at you, right?
I hate my sig
Quote by QuantumMechanix
. Most people are there to listen to music not look at you, right?

I'm pretty sure people are there for a show, looks do matter. If they want to "just" listen to music, give them the cd. If they come out to a show they want to be entertained, and dressing to part is apart of giving them that.
2 words....

Gorilla suit.

That is all.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Definitely agree with the post saying it depends on the venue. I'm lead vocals/lead guitarist (on most songs) in an indie-rock/alternative band. Our preference is to dress semi-classy - jeans and skate shoes (converses/vans) with a button-up shirts, and I like wearing bow ties. Realized pretty early on though that dressing like that at some venues is NOT going to go down well (ie. we recently played at a social football club full of middle-aged, drunk, rugby players). For that kinda venue I just wear a plain, slim-fitting t-shirt and skinny jeans.

At parties I'll try dress classy, it's always nice to feel like you can mingle with guests afterwards and not feel underdressed. If I'm playing a venue where I know it's gonna be a young crowd with people who dig our music/fashion style, I'll wear whatever the hell I feel like. Rolled-up skinnies with Docs and an offensively patterned button-up or something. Hipster as frock but we're good enough to get away with it.

At the end of the day though, if you're not feeling comfortable in what you're wearing it will affect your performance. Don't let anyone tell you what to wear (take advice, but don't be pressured into anything). Take note of what similar artists wear and either follow that, or make a point to define your own style.
O! music: Click (Youtube)

^ Click to see an acoustic arrangement of Ke$ha's 'Your Love is my Drug' - everyone's favourite song.
Quote by AlanHB

Well firstly hardly any (real, don't kill me) metal bands where masks.

Secondly, corpsepaint is a whole different deal. The objective of that isn't to look nice or cool or edgy or whatever. The point of that is to build atmosphere which is a huge part of black metal or whatever genre it happens to be (though it's mostly exclusive to black metallers). Most black metal gigs are much more 'show-like' than other gigs and so having that atmosphere and deliverance, whilst not actually vital is very effective.

Most other bands of different genres don't really treat gigs like a proper sort of 'show' if you see what I mean. It'd be the same way that you wouldn't watch a play if the actors and actresses weren't wearing costumes, it just wouldn't make sense.

Hope that makes any sense...
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles