Well afterall, this is the beginner forum. But I do appreciate any help I can get.

So I'm picking the guitar up. The only accessory I have is a DS-1, just because it was cheap and I don't like clean guitar. But I've been told to play clean when practicing. Otherwise, its a guitar and my amp. No books, just those.

I know the C Major, but I want to work on adjusting speed to switch to an A. My brother told me calluses will form, and my muscles get adjusted to playing guitar.

I've had no learning before this. Just power chords to cover verses of my favorite Nirvana songs. I'm going to be very patient, and try not to rush myself or get overwhelmed.

Is this the way to go? Any suggestions? Thanks in advanced!
Quote by dkeenan
Well afterall, this is the beginner forum. But I do appreciate any help I can get.

So I'm picking the guitar up. The only accessory I have is a DS-1, just because it was cheap and I don't like clean guitar. But I've been told to play clean when practicing. Otherwise, its a guitar and my amp. No books, just those.

I know the C Major, but I want to work on adjusting speed to switch to an A. My brother told me calluses will form, and my muscles get adjusted to playing guitar.

I've had no learning before this. Just power chords to cover verses of my favorite Nirvana songs. I'm going to be very patient, and try not to rush myself or get overwhelmed.

Is this the way to go? Any suggestions? Thanks in advanced!

i learnt to change chords in two ways, first was to pick two chords(say c and a as you mentioned them) and just spent ages changing between the two and see how many changes i could do in a minute and the other was to strum the chord once put my hand on my knee and shape the chord again, the secret is to try and form the chord shape before you get to the strings

string walking(placing one finger down at a time) slows you down quite badly and is habit forming
Quote by hilts1969
i learnt to change chords in two ways, first was to pick two chords(say c and a as you mentioned them) and just spent ages changing between the two and see how many changes i could do in a minute and the other was to strum the chord once put my hand on my knee and shape the chord again, the secret is to try and form the chord shape before you get to the strings

string walking(placing one finger down at a time) slows you down quite badly and is habit forming

So basically, you make your hands the shape of the chord before putting it on the fret? Should I begin this now or play a little while just changing between C and A?

And thank you for your help.
Quote by dkeenan
So basically, you make your hands the shape of the chord before putting it on the fret? Should I begin this now or play a little while just changing between C and A?

at first i found it hard not to "walk" the chords as getting my fingers on the right strings and not muting the others was the priority, just doing this will increase your speed anyhow the more you do it but long term making the shape in one motion is ideal. for a C chord for instance when i started i placed my ring , middle then index down in that order

i had a big problem with g so one day just practised going from d to g over and over without stopping, did this for a week and it sorted it

the first few months are the hardest after that when you learn a new chord it takes very little time to conquer
Quote by dkeenan

also i stated with A, am,e, em and d at first at these are the easiest, c and g were the hardest for me

if i was starting from scratch i would go on justinguitar.com and work my way through the free lessons one at a time, evrything is explained and he has plenty of drills to answer your questions, plus youll be playing songs within a couple of weeks

let us know how you go on
Last edited by hilts1969 at May 9, 2011,
Quote by hilts1969
also i stated with A, am,e, em and d at first at these are the easiest, c and g were the hardest for me

if i was starting from scratch i would go on justinguitar.com and work my way through the free lessons one at a time, evrything is explained and he has plenty of drills to answer your questions, plus youll be playing songs within a couple of weeks

let us know how you go on

He does clarify it well. I'm just gonna work on a D for the night, and maybe learn a new one tomorrow.

I don't want to move to fast, but I want to learn the next tomorrow. But that site is very helpful. Thank you.