Page 1 of 2
Long post but I need the help. I'm Buying in Canada...I'll first write the list of the guitars in question with the deals I have here...I play mostly strumming and using a pick...but I'm learning a lot of note by note stuff now as well if that helps:

Breedlove American C25/Cre - $1799 (1866 USD)
Breedlove Atlas C25/Sre - $849 (880 USD)
Seagull Artist Mosaic CW - $1129 (1171 USD)
Taylor 314ce - $1679 (1742 USD)

Ok so...of the 4 guitars... only the Atlas Breedlove isn't completely solid wood parts but it does have solid sitka top...just not back and sides.

These prices are all before tax prices and my issue is since I'm not that educated on the prices of what makes a guitar a "steal at that price" I'm wondering if anyone here can warn me of a rip off or a great price for any of the guitars in question. I did start with about maybe 20 or so guitars and I've narrowed it down to these 4 options...looking for the best bang for my buck here.

I'll be trading in an old washburn and it's hardcase to maybe garner 150 bucks or so...and then I'll try and bartre beyond that to lower the price another...200 dollars (if that's realistic?).

I also may sell the guitar and case somewhere other than the store i'm buying one of these guitars from next month so that the money I get from already trading in doesn't result in me not being able to barter much further... (i.e. You already got 200 from trade in, we cant go lower...vs 200 from a different store...then bartering 200 at the guitar store im buying from...) Does that mindset work or does it not make a difference? Either way...the 4 guitars in question is the most important thing I need help with. Thanks.
Last edited by Dee Ay at May 9, 2011,
I can't give a completely unbiased opinion on this, because I've only ever played one of those guitars (the Taylor) and I'm biased in favor of Seagulls. However, from my experience working in a guitar shop in Canada, I can assure you that you won't get $200 off unless you're buying $2000+. At this price point, you'll be lucky if you can get $100 knocked off.

Also, check around for "Lowest Price Guarentee" stores. Then look at every other store in the area and find a price that's even slightly lower. The store I worked at (L.A. Music, in Mississauga, Ontario) promised they would beat any lower price by 10%. If you can find the guitar at another store for $100 less, then with the 10% off you've save yourself a good $200 or so. Just a suggestion.

RS93
Acoustics:
1994 Seagull SM6
2007 Takamine G5013SVFT

Electrics:
2008 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain Top (Cherryburst)
1964 Gibson Melody Maker D (DC)

Amps:
Traynor YGL-1

Pedals
MXR Distortion III (C4 Modded)
Don't want to get too philosophical on you but "bang for your buck" is really hard to determine for guitars. Sure as price goes up, typically quality goes up (but guitars at a particular price point are not always equal due to "american made vs mexican made/korean made etc." as well as the brand of guitar because the name on the headstock matters where price is concerned). Really what you're comparing is cost of materials, labor, brand name, etc. This will get you started but guitars vary greatly in quality between the same models, so my advice which will probably be echoed by everyone else is try before you buy and get the one that sounds the best and is easiest to play. If you've done that go with you're gut and get whatever you're leaning towards. But try not to think of it as it in terms of steals or bargains (although the Taylor seems overpriced by like $100 but I'm in America).

As for trades, it'll depend on the washburn, but most likely they're going to do one or the other. Give you more on the trade or drop the price. But, since I don't know the particular shops, I'd just ask both. Most likely wherever you buy from will get you the best in trade/bartering savings as you'd probably get less from a place you're just selling a guitar too instead of trading.
@Rockinsince Hey man...what if I found the amazon.com price to be 10% cheaper when converted into Canadian dollars...would that be a plausible thing to bring up on the phone with the store owner or so....I'm allowed to show them on their computer too I believe...And how was your experience playing the Taylor. I enjoyed mine, and like I said, the seagull I wanted hasn't been on the wall, only on the website.

@Keiraw Well I've played some breedloves and they feel a bit tiny but the thing is the actual breedlove I'm thinking of I haven't tried yet since the store that sells it hasn't got shipments in. As for the seagull mosaic cw, they don't "carry" it and it has to be ordered in only so I don't really know how I can get around that but we'll see...The shape of the grand auditorium 314ce taylor is pretty sweet I think but then again, if the price isn't fair, it won't matter how good it feels. Haha...the only reason I may seem like I'm asking so much is because this will be my main guitar for many many years, since I'll keep it once I start university next year, all the way up to a few years after I've graduated and more before I think of buying again...so... xD
Quote by Dee Ay
@Rockinsince Hey man...what if I found the amazon.com price to be 10% cheaper when converted into Canadian dollars...would that be a plausible thing to bring up on the phone with the store owner or so....I'm allowed to show them on their computer too I believe...And how was your experience playing the Taylor. I enjoyed mine, and like I said, the seagull I wanted hasn't been on the wall, only on the website.

@Keiraw Well I've played some breedloves and they feel a bit tiny but the thing is the actual breedlove I'm thinking of I haven't tried yet since the store that sells it hasn't got shipments in. As for the seagull mosaic cw, they don't "carry" it and it has to be ordered in only so I don't really know how I can get around that but we'll see...The shape of the grand auditorium 314ce taylor is pretty sweet I think but then again, if the price isn't fair, it won't matter how good it feels. Haha...the only reason I may seem like I'm asking so much is because this will be my main guitar for many many years, since I'll keep it once I start university next year, all the way up to a few years after I've graduated and more before I think of buying again...so... xD

I honestly doubt the Amazon thing will work, they probably want a Canadian store's price. By luck though, I stumbled upon www.theartsmusicstoreonline.com who are selling the Taylor for...wait for it...$1648.99! That's a whopping $30 less than the price you listed. This may not seem like much, but 10% off $1649 is $164.90, which means the guitar would cost $1484.10! That's almost a $200 price drop from your original price, Plus whatever you get for your washburn.

As for my opinion on the Taylor; amazing. I've always loved how articulate Taylors sound, and their brighter tonality compared to the darker Martins and Gibsons. Body style was extremely comfortable, had nice volume despite the shallower body, and with the Lights they had on it, it played like a dream. I only wish I could afford one myself :P
Acoustics:
1994 Seagull SM6
2007 Takamine G5013SVFT

Electrics:

Amps:
Traynor YGL-1

Pedals
Haha Thanks. Unfortunately, I'm in a really tiny area so only one store in the whole town sells taylors...so they can do whatever they want with price it seems. Like I say...the store wont order in the seagull unless i pay full price beforehand and the breedloves from the other store haven't been selected to come in yet...so I've only played the taylor and I really really liked it. I can't say the same for the rest since no one is letting me try the rest.

It's a bit unnerving I must say.Maybe the fact that I've bought a guitar from there before and an acoustic amp will win me some brownie points...on top of the other stuff, because finding 10% off will be next to impossible when they are the only one's selling in the area.
Yeah, you didn't mention that. What area do you live in? You could always try looking in your local classifieds for used Taylors; it shouldn't be too hard to find one in decent condition for a fraction of the price.
Acoustics:
1994 Seagull SM6
2007 Takamine G5013SVFT

Electrics:

Amps:
Traynor YGL-1

Pedals
i never buy any guitar based on value but beaters. after all, you can get a great value but the guitar may not sound as good as one that isn't as good a value.

that being said, of these brands only seagull is a "best bang for your buck" brand - taylor and breedlove can't touch a number of other brands on value, and only the breedlove american you list is a great sounding guitar of the 3 out of 4 you list. i haven't loved the all solid seagulls tonewise, but i also haven't played any from the artist series.

for value, guild, blueridge, eastman (except for their lowest models), recording king and the all solid models in the yamaha L series kick these guitars to the curb, value-wise. many also offer much nicer tone, and eastman makes spectacular all solid guitars that compare to most brands' $2000 or better guitars in every way including tone, wood choices, wood quality, finish quality, amenities and build quality. not 100% sure about hardware - i've played maybe 15 eastmans but somehow didn't check the hardware.

to me, value would include quality of finish (taylor doesn't even go with a gloss top till a higher model where the rest offer gloss finish, some VERY nice for the same price as the taylor, and eastman offers nitro), what kind of woods are used (taylor's 314 is sapele back and sides, which is cheaper than mahogany or rosewood and i find it doesn't sound quite as good), hardware quality (believe me, not all hardware is alike), whether a bone, tusq or plastic nut is used. some people are concerned with "glue slop", although personally if a great sounds great i couldn't care less. then there's amenities including whether the guitar comes with a case, and there are cosmeitc issues - quality of rosette and inlays, what wood quality is used.

to me all that pales next to two questions - how good does it sound to me and how good does it feel, which includes body size and shape, and neck size and shape. and that is why i don't shop for guitars by value. some great bang for buck guitars out there don't sound too great.

btw, i'm pretty sure the atlas has a solid back and top, and laminate sides.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Last edited by patticake at May 9, 2011,
Rocksince, belleville area, only a store called Arden's sells seagulls and taylors. Breedloves are at a different locale. I havent really thought about used guitars, they don't seem to put used ones on the wall...since its a small store, but I can ask. How much less is the price of a used one? I'd like the quality of the guitar to not be scratched or dented and stuff...but still used if thats what you mean in terms of getting deals if thats what you mean.

And patticakes, thanks for the input...I've played a few yamaha acoustics at the Breedlove selling store and I don't know why....I like their pianos, but not their guitars xD. Like i said the nice breedlove you speak of from my list hasnt been available for me to play. Small towns make it hard to play all the guitars you're searching for readily available which is a nuisance. Even though you say seagull is the best bang for my buck, if they're not going to let me test the one I want unless I buy it first, you would agree that I should probably just wave it off and focus on the other 3 right? Because, if I can't play test it, I'm not one to risk it for a purchase this big for me.
When I mentioned used, I was referring to local classifieds, such as Kijiji and Craigslist. You can almost Always check the guitar out before you buy, and you can get a pretty significant discount over the retail price.

I saved you some trouble and took a look at your local classifieds. I found a single Taylor 314CE for sale, but there's a catch. There Is a lacquer crack in it. Now don't panic, you haven't heard the price. $800. A simple laquer crack repair at a luthier will cost at Most $200, so you've still saved $600 or so. The seller is in Trenton, and the ad was just posted today. I suggest you at least contact him and possibly arrange a meeting so you can see the guitar and play it. Just go to www.belleville.kijiji.ca and search "Taylor 314-CE" without the quotes. Looks to be a great deal. Then again, this is just a suggestion, and you should keep both yours and patticake's options on the table.

RS93
Acoustics:
1994 Seagull SM6
2007 Takamine G5013SVFT

Electrics:

Amps:
Traynor YGL-1

Pedals
it's highly unlikely you've seen any yamahas except for their lam b&s models - i've ever actually seen one of the L series models in person, and i shop at 16 different guitar stores including 2 sam ash stores, 6 guitar centers. the cool part of living in l.a. - LOTS of instrument store choices.

you're taking a risk on any of the 4 you list or any other guitar by buying before you try unless you buy online from a store with a generous return policy. luckily many online stores will not only take back a guitar with no questions asked, but will pay shipping for you to exchange a guitar, so it's no risk at all as long as you're careful not to damage the guitar. the more expensive breedlove sounds great - or at least, the one played did to me. did it sound as great as a blueridge or eastman? depends on your own preferences. was it as good a value as a blueridge or eastman? no, but it sure did sound purty

if it were me, i'd buy a mid level blueridge or eastman for $700 to a grand way before i'd buy the taylor or a seagull or the lower end breedlove.

Quote by Dee Ay
And patticakes, thanks for the input...I've played a few yamaha acoustics at the Breedlove selling store and I don't know why....I like their pianos, but not their guitars xD. Like i said the nice breedlove you speak of from my list hasnt been available for me to play. Small towns make it hard to play all the guitars you're searching for readily available which is a nuisance. Even though you say seagull is the best bang for my buck, if they're not going to let me test the one I want unless I buy it first, you would agree that I should probably just wave it off and focus on the other 3 right? Because, if I can't play test it, I'm not one to risk it for a purchase this big for me.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Last edited by patticake at May 9, 2011,
Hmmm, well, luthier's I assume are easy to find in any guitar store....? And a lacquer crack is a quick fix? I'll have to see how that goes, I have a guitar lesson tomorrow so i'll talk to my teacher about that too. When I go to play test, the lacquer crack won't affect the sound will it, just the aesthetics? As in it won't sound better or worse after I fix it? That sounds like a great deal, let me look into it. *Edit* it seems to have different electronics than a normal taylor, I dunno what type of system this is...but maybe it works as well as the ES taylor system?

And patticakes, for sure I would want to have some hands on time with the guitars. For the breedlove, they visually look tiny compared to other guitars thats why I really want a hands on with them haha. The taylor being the only one i've tried is the right type of size, the grand auditorium body, but many guitars have this type of body. Sounds nice too, but the acoustics of the room aided in that opinion. Seagull I guess I might have to wave off since I can't get to try it it seems...was good since it was in the middle of my budget kinda. We'll see how it goes, the Taylor deal Rockin was talking about seems good, but this whole lacquer thing I'm a bit unsure about. I bet either of you can speak from experience whether after fixing it plays like new or looks new...I'm the type who likes to not have something that's supposed to be new looking not exactly new hehe, but if this whole lacquer fix works, it should be fine...won't just crack again will it?
Last edited by Dee Ay at May 9, 2011,
A lacquer crack will not affect playability or tone, but it is Not a quick fix. I'm just saying that the cost of having the crack repaired is much less than the cost of the guitar new. I know at 12th Fret in Toronto they do finish touchups for $75 (a little more if it's a large crack). But yeah, a good repair tech can make it look like there was never a crack to begin with, and you can find techs in almost every guitar store across the country.
Acoustics:
1994 Seagull SM6
2007 Takamine G5013SVFT

Electrics:

Amps:
Traynor YGL-1

Pedals
So the crack won't reopen in the same spot after a year or two or so? Just wondering because if this seemingly great deal falls through...I would rather have it in my favour where after fixing the guitar it seems like new and stays that way, without reopening cracks and stuff. I did email the owner that I'm interested and asked for some more information, That i will post here for you and the rest to see more of what we're dealing with here. And by not a quick fix, do you mean because of the price or do you mean it actually takes...like...weeks to fix or something? 75 dollars doesn't seem like a lot to fix a crack..so i'm guessing you're talking about the time period. Also...the electronics in this seem a bit different than a normal taylor...I don't recognize the system.
It won't reopen, because repairing a finish crack is simply melting lacquer into the crack to fill it, followed by very fine sanding and buffing. It's not like an acutal wood crack where wood filler is normally used.

What I meant when I said "not a quick fix" didn't actually refer to the Time it takes. At most it would take a day or two, or it could take a few hours. It depends on how big the crack is. I meant that it's not something that I would recommend anybody other than a luthier to do.

And finally the electronics. This guitar has the Fishman Prefix system installed. These were installed in Taylor Acoustic-Electrics in the late 90's up until the end of 2002. In 2003 Taylor started installing it's Expression system. Judging by the reviews that I've read (and the fact that the 314CE I played had this pickup), the Prefix is every bit as good as the Expression system. Fishman is known for it's acoustic pickups, so there's no need to worry.

RS93
Acoustics:
1994 Seagull SM6
2007 Takamine G5013SVFT

Electrics:

Amps:
Traynor YGL-1

Pedals
Wow great stuff man. Really, both of you 2 are awesome helped me A LOT. I'll sleep well informed tonight. As my final high school year winds down and the day of the guitar purchasing (hopefully) nears, I hope I'll find the right one. Like I said, if I get a response from the trenton guy tomorrow or soon, I'll post it here. I wonder if it'll be there up through to June or so. If not...I may have to make an early purchase which I think my parents won't be fond of since I said I'd get it after school was over and buying early might make them think i'm being greedy or impatient even if I'm trying to get the best deal at the best time. We'll see, I'll keep you guys posted. Guitars...crazy world of them out there haha

If I want to exchange the pickup system down the road, I can do that too I'm guessing...without too much difficulty? Of course I'll leave luthiers to do all the work. Thanks.
Last edited by Dee Ay at May 10, 2011,
most repair guys i've met in stores are neither luthiers nor qualified guitar techs. i wouldn't let them string my guitars, much less "fix" them.

btw, i hope you've had some guitars to play recently to compare the taylor to. some people love it, but many like it more for the label than the tone. i didn't care for it all that much, and when i played it and the 114 to my husband without telling him which was which, he actually preferred the 114.

on the other hand, it may be your perfect guitar. i'm just hoping you don't buy it because it's more convenient - hopefully you can get a guitar you REALLY like!
Quote by Skeet UK
Honestly, if there are other brands/guitars you haven't considered like blueridge etc, it may be worth looking into as others have said, but only if the stores you buy from have good return policies (might look into this for the taylor as well). But if the taylor sounds good and you like the feel of it, I'd say go for it, especially if you can try to talk it down due to bartering or some sort of price match. Even though the price might be a little off, if you're going to be using this for a long time, I say it's worth it (but I doubt you'd have trouble bartering the price down a bit). If you want a guitar with the best build quality, then try an online store with a return policy. But there is no guarantee that it will sound or play better than the taylor. Taylor are by no means bad guitars, and I'd be confident in that purchase if it played great, but like I said before, sometimes that price has the brand name in it.
Yep even the guy at the store said a reason sometimes taylor's seem overpriced is because of the brand name and the fact that if you ever choose to resell or trade in for another guitar, that name alone can get you a lot more money...so...I'm aware how the price can sometimes be skewed. I have looked into bluridge 140-143 type guitars in the store that sells the breedloves, and I don't like them. I'll have to really look into all the fine details even more than I already have, but for now, it seems like the 4 I've listed are my main options that I'll stick to...until I've played the other 3 I can't say for sure but at the moment it seems like they'd all be fine and it's more or less the best price. No point getting a taylor if it sounds on par with the breedlove and one is cheaper...I don't know, maybe I'm thinking of price too much...haha
you are thinking too much about price.

what in the name of god don't you like about blueridge guitars? they sound great, well built, good finishes. is it just the headstock?
Quote by Skeet UK
They don't carry the blueridge cutaways in my local shop and once again I won't order in full price for something I haven't played mate. Small towns aren't great for these kind of things, I'm somewhat limited here. My parents also aren't ones to take me to toronto or a big city just for "some guitar" so...I have to work with what I got here.

No response from that Trenton guy so far BUT i did get to play the Breedlove American today...Was quite ok with it while it was plugged in, but unplugged, it sounds rather weak in actual sound compared to the taylor I did play. I'll find out the price of it when I go back to the store today. Unplugged I was just asking for more, I wasn't feeling the power unplugged. Maybe I'll try some of the dreadnought blueridges...theres about 3 in the store when I go back in an hour and a bit.
make sure they're the all solid models - the ones with the 1 in front so 143, 140, 160, etc. ones with 4 are mahogany, ones with 6 are rosewood.
Quote by Skeet UK
Just in, a statement about that taylor with the crack for the $800 price tag (760ish in USD):

"The crack runs from the bridge to the end of the guitar. As we speak it is being repaired with "cleats". This will stop from it from getting any worse. Having said that the rest of the guitar is in great shape and plays and sounds great. From what I can remember the guitar is from 2002 or 2003"

The whole speaking of this whole "cleats" thing is bothering me...I don't know if this is how a luthier normal fixes cracks or if cleats means its a deep crack that penetrates the actual wood and therefore may mess up the guitar in the future or reopen. From this information, is this crack a big deal? The guitar they said might be bought soon since it's in the store and people from the area will probably buy it. Most likely they'll buy it before me but I'd still like to know.
a cleat is how a professional fixes a crack, although a non pro can do it, too. no way to know whether it was fixed right so it's stable. a cleated crack does mean that it goes all the way through the wood - you can't cleat a finish crack. if the guitar was fixed right, and you keep it at a fairly steady 40% to 55% humidity, it should be fine. i wouldn't buy a cracked guitar, but my husband once bought a cracked and stable j45 that is still around.
Quote by Skeet UK
Quote by Dee Ay
Just in, a statement about that taylor with the crack for the $800 price tag (760ish in USD):

"The crack runs from the bridge to the end of the guitar. As we speak it is being repaired with "cleats". This will stop from it from getting any worse. Having said that the rest of the guitar is in great shape and plays and sounds great. From what I can remember the guitar is from 2002 or 2003"

The whole speaking of this whole "cleats" thing is bothering me...I don't know if this is how a luthier normal fixes cracks or if cleats means its a deep crack that penetrates the actual wood and therefore may mess up the guitar in the future or reopen. From this information, is this crack a big deal? The guitar they said might be bought soon since it's in the store and people from the area will probably buy it. Most likely they'll buy it before me but I'd still like to know.

That's strange, the ad says it's a "lacquer crack". The fact that he needs cleats to repair it means that the crack has penetrated the top completely. If it's done right, the cleats will last the lifetime of the guitar. It's your call. I honestly wouldn't buy it if the guy tried to pass off a deep crack as a "lacquer crack". Anyways, your choice.
Acoustics:
1994 Seagull SM6
2007 Takamine G5013SVFT

Electrics:

Amps:
Traynor YGL-1

Pedals
Yes I think I'm going to avoid it because I just got a response when I asked what he is exactly saying here about how it will look after fixing and he said this:

"In order to repair so you can not see it would be way too expensive as the top would have to be removed etc. Once Brett fixes it it will not open up again."

Kind of sounds like this is a crack that will always be visible even after the "cleats" and that this seller is slightly making the crack sound better than it is. What i'm getting from this is that this crack is big enough to always be visible and always be on the guitar even after this so called repair. I'm not getting a concise response. However, they are offering to give me the contact number of the person fixing the guitar...which I'll take but may or may not use at this rate.
Last edited by Dee Ay at May 10, 2011,
Yeah, at this rate I think the trust factor is out the window. I never buy from somebody who misinforms me knowingly.
Acoustics:
1994 Seagull SM6
2007 Takamine G5013SVFT

Electrics:

Amps:
Traynor YGL-1

Pedals
Mhm, not buying from him anymore. Along with that information, I'm taking the Seagull and most likely the Atlas breedlove out of the equation too. It's coming down to the American Breedlove and Taylor 314ce. I want the cedar breedlove but I've only played the sitka american and it was very good, as was the taylor. I'll play both of the guitars for the next coming weeks at stores and try to find out. Unfortunately theyre at different stores so I can't A/B them.

However, comparing the sitka american and the taylor...both are very comfortable to play. I like both of their shapes. The taylor sounds bassier and more full to my ear than the breedlove unplugged and the strings ring for longer. Plugged I haven't yet got to compare...The taylor is looking to be 150 dollars more but I haven't got a definite breedlove price yet. Right now I'm leaning towards the taylor, but who knows, my whole opinion could change if the Cedar American Breedlove comes in. Both seem to be great instruments though.
the taylor sounds bassier than the breedlove?

now, that's something i've never heard anyone say before
Quote by Skeet UK
Quote by Dee Ay
I've only played the taylor and I really really liked it.

If you've played the Taylor and like it enough to spend the cash, fuck what everyone else has to say about it. That's the ultimate rule.

Sounds like you're trying to be a bit too analytical to me, trying to find all the 'perfect' features and 'perfect' tone for the 'perfect' price. I certainly understand your want of information, but when we're talking guitars in this price range, it's gonna come down to personal preference. If there is a theoretical 'perfect guitar' here, none of us will know it but you.
2006 AND 2007 Ultimate Guitar Best Vocalist

Quote by Magero
Jack - 3:54 AM
I will smoke, and eat and watch Futurama in your honour
agreed. you can have 4 guitars with the exact same specs, and they'll sound AND feel completely different from each other. my perfect guitar (at least for now) ended up being a guitar i'd have left off my list two years ago for a variety of reasons.

Quote by Spynal
If you've played the Taylor and like it enough to spend the cash, fuck what everyone else has to say about it. That's the ultimate rule.

Sounds like you're trying to be a bit too analytical to me, trying to find all the 'perfect' features and 'perfect' tone for the 'perfect' price. I certainly understand your want of information, but when we're talking guitars in this price range, it's gonna come down to personal preference. If there is a theoretical 'perfect guitar' here, none of us will know it but you.
Quote by Skeet UK
Haha yes teachers and parents tell me I can be too meticulous about fine details that really don't benefit me in terms of productivity in the long run. When I said bassier I meant more full sounding on the low strings albeit the Taylor came with sliders and the breedlove was normal...strings. I'm not sure. Ill play them more in the upcoming weeks. I really have to at this point. I'm hoping the cedar American breedlove comes in but if not...I'll have to compare the Taylor with the Sitka breedlove. I'll have more info on the breedlove pricing once the store gets back from the "tradeshow" to find out. I know we are saying at this price range I should consider price but not overconsider it but...a few hundred dollars difference to me is a lot...granted I'll barter it down more still haha. Thanks guys.

I also may go to Ottawa to a music center my guitar teacher told me about where he can help me get a good price since he knows the owner and will come with me. I do believe they should carry breedloves and I am certain from their website that they carry the Taylor. The store is called Steves Music. Thanks guys
If a few hundred is really a big consideration, just get the Taylor. IDK if you've played a cedar top before, but it's quite a bit softer sounding than Sitka, so you're not gonna have that punchy bass line. If the extra few hundred is really a consideration and you like the Taylor, I'd buy it. It's a very well-crafted and great sounding guitar.

And let's face it, it's highly unlikely that this is going to be your final and ultimate guitar, so you don't have to get it perfect.
2006 AND 2007 Ultimate Guitar Best Vocalist

Quote by Magero
Jack - 3:54 AM
I will smoke, and eat and watch Futurama in your honour
Hahaha true it won't be my last guitar, but it will be my main for a while. A long while. And the taylor is the one i feel will be a few hundred dollars more, not the breedlove. I predict the breedlove being 200 cheaper or so....which is quite a bit...and like i said they both sound nice so even a slight edge the taylor has in my ear probably doesnt justify the purchase xD because either guitar will break in and sound better as time goes on so...it's up in the air.

I also think you might be right that the cedar will sound less full than the spruce but until I try it, I can't be sure. My assumptions are usually wrong so I can't judge until I try for someone like me I've realized haha. And I have played a cedar seagull s6 before...but it was a big guitar in my opinion that sounded pretty full in spruce or sitka (it comes in both).

I'm not exactly sure if you were saying the taylor is a few 100 more or the one thats a few hundred less, either way I do see what you're saying. There is no perfect instrument, I'm being too uptight.
i think part of the problem is you don't have access to try lots of guitars on a regular basis. that's the only way to get to develop your preferences and your ear. i don't find cedar to be as delicate, woody or all those other claims, but it does have a little less headroom. if you're planning to play very hard and loud, cedar might not be your best choice, but it does sound good.

good luck with whatever guitar you buy!
Quote by Skeet UK
Haha thanks, is it ok if I keep updating you guys as more info comes in (through here or pms or whatever)...you're helping a lot but I don't want to become a nuisance haha. Thanks to all
I know I don't mind. I'm always willing to throw ideas back and forth.
Acoustics:
1994 Seagull SM6
2007 Takamine G5013SVFT

Electrics:

Amps:
Traynor YGL-1

Pedals
Haha thanks, I'll keep everyone posted as the month goes on, and before I'm about to buy it. I don't know how much difference it makes in the long run of things when a guitar is breaking in or not, but the taylor is a Grand Auditorium shape and the Breedlove is a Concert shape (which appears smaller to my eye but I can't actually A/B them as I said). Does the shape affect breaking in or is that all the wood's job. Both shapes feel comfortable to hold though, which is probably most important.
If body style has an effect on "breaking in", i've never heard of it. It's all in the wood as far as I know. Generally speaking, Cedar=Fastest, Spruce=Slower, Mahogany=Slowest.
Acoustics:
1994 Seagull SM6
2007 Takamine G5013SVFT

Electrics:

Amps:
Traynor YGL-1

Pedals
Alright, good stuff to know. Thanks. In theory this means if you ever resell a guitar down the line it could be worth more due to it being more broken in...don't think I'll be trading the one I choose to buy though, not after going through all this work and research here haha
Page 1 of 2