Page 1 of 2
Agree or disagree, and why?
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Quote by Eastwinn
That quote means nothing.

this. It doesn't even really make sense.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Quote by jgbsmith
this. It doesn't even really make sense.

If you've got no possessions, no liabilities, no responsibility, no one to take care of but yourself, no appointments or pressing duty, then I'd consider that true freedom.

It took me a little bit to wrap my head around the idea, but it's liberating once I did. It's not freedom from a political perspective. It's freedom as a state of mind.
-Jim Morrison
nah its just moronic anti capitalism and consumerism bs and doesnt really make much realistic sense.
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Quote by JimmyBanks6
nah its just moronic anti capitalism and consumerism bs and doesnt really make much realistic sense.

Janis Joplin is a commie.

Burn her at the stake!
-Jim Morrison
Quote by SlinkyBlue
If you've got no possessions, no liabilities, no responsibility, no one to take care of but yourself, no appointments or pressing duty, then I'd consider that true freedom.

It took me a little bit to wrap my head around the idea, but it's liberating once I did. It's not freedom from a political perspective. It's freedom as a state of mind.

if you've got nothing, you're not really able to do anything though, so in reality, you're less free.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Quote by SlinkyBlue

OOOOOOOOOOHH I was looking at this politically. Nah, this makes plenty of sense, and I totally agree. I've read some stories written by homeless people, and the way they live is intriguing. They don't have to answer to anyone but themselves.
i don't know why i feel so dry
That quote's pretty damn retarded, if you ask me
FALKIRK

We'll win something someday

Quote by Minkaro
Falkirk is the home of runners up.

Check out my Tunes
Fightclub, or alternatively Between Angels and Insects by Papa Roach

are both works centered around this concept.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
Quote by SlinkyBlue

Burn her at the stake!

was this a janis joplin quote? otherwise im

either way, she was quite the hippy, so yes moronic anti consumerism.

Also, burn her at the stake, but shes been dead for 40 years
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
That's really poorly worded. If anything it should be "Freedom is having nothing to lose."

Still sucks though.
If you have nothing left to lose you don't have your freedom either. Which would mean that freedom means not having freedom. But if you don't not have it you don't have it.

It's a paradox.
I think I am going to start making up confusing quotes that sound profound, but really are retarded (like this one).
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
I feel like I can understand the quote. But I don't think there's anywhere to elaborate on anything.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
No freedom means being able to do anything I want, while keep things restricted for my safety.
Quote by progdude93
my fetish is dudes with dicks small enough to pee on their own sacks.
Quote by SlinkyBlue

But to what extent of freedom do you have? You are bound to yourself, no matter what. Complete freedom would be extending outwards, into other dimensions..

..You are never free, a slave to your own self. You're not free, how could you be? You've got a responsibility to take care of yourself now.

True freedom doesn't exist, and frankly, I'm glad it doesn't.
This thread makes no sense at all. I still don't understand that meaningless quote, even after reading all the shizzle explaining it.
Quote by due 07
This thread makes no sense at all. I still don't understand that meaningless quote, even after reading all the shizzle explaining it.

Read "On Dumpster Diving." I believe that's the title.

You guys should look into this book. A youth abandons everything but a .22 rifle and lives off the land in Alaska. Made it for a year or so too, I think a bear got him or something.

Nonetheless, very inspiring story.

We certainly don't have any buddhists in this thread, do we.
-Jim Morrison
Last edited by SlinkyBlue at May 9, 2011,
Quote by JimmyBanks6

But it is actually a kris Kristoferson quote
I agree entirely when it comes to personal freedom.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
Quote by jgbsmith
if you've got nothing, you're not really able to do anything though, so in reality, you're less free.

This. If ALL possessions were gone then that would be true but in this world it binds you more than it sets you free.
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
Quote by bass-man9712
This. If ALL possessions were gone then that would be true but in this world it binds you more than it sets you free.

That depends on what world you expose yourself to. Are you in the wilderness, or a metropolis? If you're in the forest with an encampment and a rifle, you're the king of your domain. If you're a bum in a metropolis, you're scum.
-Jim Morrison
Quote by SlinkyBlue

Burn her at the stake!
Well, she's dead, so I guess we will never know for sure.

EDIT: OT: Bloody hippies wanting to live off the land and all that hippy stuff.

And this argument completely falls flat if you have a kid. Or a partner. Or a parent. Or a brother. Or a sister. Or a friend. Or a fellow man.

Sounds like a pretty self-centered existence to me

Last edited by fender_696 at May 9, 2011,
freedom in what sense ? If I feel like I have nothing left to lose. I'm not afraid going towards. I'm in the pit there's nowhere else to go put up. I can do whatever I want because I got nothing left to lose.
Quote by genghisgandhi
No, the majority of UGers aren't idiots *looks for high five*

-Jim Morrison
Quote by genghisgandhi
No, the majority of UGers aren't idiots *looks for high five*

You son of a...

I agree with the fact that freedom is not acting in accordance with any external force. but saying "nothing left to lose" gives it a negative kind of feel to me.

EDIT:

Quote by jgbsmith

You're thinking materialistically. Being fixated on things like that only bind you to that meterial object and make you less free in your dedication to things that will "disappear."
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Last edited by bradulator at May 9, 2011,
I see it as a way of valuing freedom vs the value of convenience.

If you have a people living in shit conditions with a corrupt government, freedom, and the fight for it, means that they don't have anything else to lose.

Now take a people living very comfortably with a corrupt government, like in Brave New World, there is less incentive to fight for freedom and change their way of life. It hard to have people fight just for freedom's sake.

They might not be the best example, but I hope you get my point.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
You guys are all off. Nobody can really understand what it means to be free UNTIL they have lost everything.

As I mentioned before, the movie fight club is completely based around this concept.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
Quote by Vypor
You guys are all off. Nobody can really understand what it means to be free UNTIL they have lost everything.

No, I think we touched on that, your majesty.
-Jim Morrison
I dont think so, nobodys touched on the psychological side of being free from all of your material possessions.

Losing everything contributes to your opinion about things, but once you realize that YOU dont matter, that YOUR opinion doesnt matter, and that all of your material possesions and personal opinions aren't really necessary to just live. Your free from the chains of having an opinion period.

Its kind of vauge, but it does make sense.
We haven't had "true freedom" since we were banging rocks together and grunting. But with civilization comes the loss of some freedoms. It is all a matter of deciding which is more important to you.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
Quote by JimmyBanks6

Of course, being anti consumerism is bad. Your sole purpose on this planet should be to work all your life and to obey and consume. Do not try to be a free individual, just consume and obey like a good robot.

Quote by Vypor
I dont think so, nobodys touched on the psychological side of being free from all of your material possessions.

Losing everything contributes to your opinion about things, but once you realize that YOU dont matter, that YOUR opinion doesnt matter, and that all of your material possesions and personal opinions aren't really necessary to just live. Your free from the chains of having an opinion period.

Its kind of vauge, but it does make sense.

Ah, your pseudopsychological babble is soothing
Last edited by Eastwinn at May 9, 2011,
Page 1 of 2