i just bought a Chinese Strat a couple months ago for $100 and i really like it. yes it had some issues at the start but they were little things that could be fixed. what i want to know is why does everyone consider these crap could you not upgrade the pickups and new bridge for less than it would cost for an original fender strat? i have not tried to upgrade it yet so i don't know for sure, but it seems like if you go to the right place you can make your beginner guitar a very nice one for less then $500. i think that most people feel that since it is cheaper it is crappy. if i get new pickups and a bridge or tuners would it make it a great guitar?
Cheap guitars are cheap because they're put together sloppily and the woods they use are crap. Yes the bridge, tuners and pickups can all be replaced, but those are the least of your problems. Body wood and neck wood can't be replaced, that's called buying a new guitar. Crap woods equal crap tone and especially crap sustain and no pickup change is going to improve that. If a guitar is made with a loose neck pocket and neck heel then you're screwed. If the frets aren't installed correctly which they almost never are then that's something only a decent tech or luthier can fix and that costs more to fix than the guitar itself originally cost.

If you bought a cheap guitar and you like it enough for what it is then that's fair enough, have fun with it, but if you think a couple of the most simple upgrades are going to make a $100 guitar compete with a $500 one then you're either delusional or you've never actually tried out one of the "proper" versions.
UPDATE!! i did some research last night and found that the wood used on my strat is basswood the wood used on a fender strat that costs $500 is Alder there is probably a 10% difference in the sound and i know because my friend has a fender you cant tell the difference in wood when they are recorded you 2x as much for better pickups, the more expensive labor, and a fender logo on the end. if i put new pickups in and new strings and maybe even a new bridge (i can get all for under $200) then it will sound just as good as a $500 fender the only thing i have to do is put in some elbow grease.
Quote by SupermanDT
UPDATE!! i did some research last night and found that the wood used on my strat is basswood the wood used on a fender strat that costs $500 is Alder there is probably a 10% difference in the sound and i know because my friend has a fender you cant tell the difference in wood when they are recorded you 2x as much for better pickups, the more expensive labor, and a fender logo on the end. if i put new pickups in and new strings and maybe even a new bridge (i can get all for under $200) then it will sound just as good as a $500 fender the only thing i have to do is put in some elbow grease.

is this after yo replaced everything? otherwise you may be kidding yourself. now to be fair i have a chinese made strat style guitar that i'm very fond of but it isn't a $100 cheapie either.
yes my friend has the $500 fender and a $100 Chinese strat that he put the $500 pickups into to see the difference the wood made and we could not tell in the recoding but the alder sounded slightly brighter in person then the basswood but it was not a worse sound just a different one.