Because I'm looking to do so, with as little legal reprecussion and penalities as possible.

Basically my situation is I moved in with my ex in September and we were splitting on the rent. We both got student loans, but she never got a job and never had money. We broke up two months ago and since then have been alternating time at the place while the other is at our hometown to avoid awkwardness. At this point I'm done school and have no reason to stay and would rather stay at home and not waste my money, which at this point I have very little of.

I came back to the apartment earlier this week to have an evicition notice in the door. May's rent hasn't been paid and it says we either have until tomorrow (termination date), or move out.

Now, can we actually just move out? Or does that mean gtfo and then pay the rest of the contract?

tldr; I'm in a contract for an apartment til next September with my ex and want to break it. Looking for the option that lightens my pocket the least.
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
An eviction usually means termination of the contract as far as I know. The termination date means you have until then to pay the rent and stay in.
Equipment:

Dean VX
Dean Avalanche 7
Squire SE Stratocaster
Vox AD50VT
Boss OD-20
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Is canadian contract law the same as US? If so you are prolly better off just moving out and paying him for May. I'm assuming that it was her turn to pay and she didn't in which case get her to pay for May. He (this is for US) can only hold you liable for months you arn't there if he absolutely can't rent it to anyone else. He can sue for damages caused by your breach, but has an obligation to mitigate the damages.
Im assuming youll at least have to pay the rent that is already overdue.
But, if you have been paying yours and she hasnt paid hers, than u need to have your receipts to prove it or youre shit out of luck. The same sort of thing happened to me 4 years ago.
I paid all my shares of bills on time or early, and none of the bills were in my name. Turns out one roommate was stealing money from the other (hers of which the rent came out of), so rent bounced every month. He was hiding the letters from the rental office so we never had any idea. We get an eviction notice one day and still owed 1800 for past rent. So since my name was on the lease, I was legally responsible for my 3rd even though my shares had already been paid. $600 wasted and a 7 year glitch on my credit.
If I were you, man....Id contact the tenancy board or even talk directly to your landlords or rental office and see what you can do to have the best possible outcome.
PRS Standard 22, Trans Blue
PRS Custom 24, Eriza Verde Green
Martin DC16 GTE Acoustic/Electric
Segovia Acoustic/Electric
Marshall JCM 900 Dual Reverb
Fender Princeton Chorus 212
Quote by dmiwshicldply
Well in Louisiana if you get evicted they put you on a blacklist making it super hard to rent another apartment in the state and it also goes against your credit. dont know if its like that every where but i have a sneaky suspicion it probably is

not here in California.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Quote by dmiwshicldply
Well in Louisiana if you get evicted they put you on a blacklist making it super hard to rent another apartment in the state and it also goes against your credit. dont know if its like that every where but i have a sneaky suspicion it probably is

That's what I've been warned about by the people I've talked to.
Quote by Night
Quote by Wiegenlied

Basically my situation is I moved in with my [girlfriend]

and what did we learn?
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
Well the eviction is going to go on your record and it might make it harder to get into a nicer place later in life, pay this months rent and then give notice immediately after, this is the time of year where a lot of people will move do to nicer weather and the fact that school is getting out/in so it should not take long for the unit to turn over.

Or just get evicted and have a shit record.
Quote by NoLaurelTree000
and what did we learn?

I know..
Quote by Night
It'll be bad if you don't pay. Your credit will take a hit, and the landlord could take you to court for failure to fulfill the contract. You should work it out with the landlord and discuss the situation. If he's understanding, maybe you get off with a termination of the contract, or a cancellation fee.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG