Poll: Are they over diagnosed?
Poll Options
View poll results: Are they over diagnosed?
Yes
50 86%
No
8 14%
Voters: 58.
Page 1 of 2
Poll incoming. Edit: Oops, I wrote diagnosed instead of prescribed in the poll. My b.

Do you guys feel that antidepressants are over prescribed? Would you personally take them / do you take them now?
i don't know why i feel so dry
Last edited by Eastwinn at May 9, 2011,
I was prescribed Prozac a long time ago when my family made me see a doctor for my depression.

I never took them, they're still in my cupboard. I completely and honestly believe that my occasional use of marijuana has helped me overcome it.

I recently invested in a vaporizer so I don't have to smoke anymore. I hate smoking.

Yes, they're prescribed too much. As are most things. But the doctors and the pharm companies have to be fed.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
I've been going through a bit of a depression recently. Not diagnosed or anything, but I've been feeling like shit for a few weeks. It's not too bad, though. I don't want to ever take antidepressants.

I feel they are over diagnosed. Some of my mates used to be on them and they are very glad to be off of them. I think increased focus on... "psychological rehabilitation", for lack of a better word, would be better.
If I actually was depressed I would! I hear a lot of the time the therapist will prescribe blank pills with nothing in them and tell the patient they're antidepressants and it works. All in the mind dude...well mostly

Edit: OT I do feel they are overly prescribed
Last edited by MrRockandRoll at May 9, 2011,
shit , I accidentally chose the wrong choice. I meant yes. People shouldn't be relied on pills. Some people take em like bloody M&M's these days. Slave to the good feeling
They're definitely over-prescribed.

Though if I'm honest I've taken them before and I felt fantastic as long as you don't become dependent on them then there's no harm.

,--.-'-,--.
\ /-~-\ /
/ )' a a `( \
( ( ,---. ) )
THIS WAS MEANT TO BE A PIG
\ `(_o_o_)' /
\ `-' /
| |---| |
[_] [_]
Quote by due 07
I've been going through a bit of a depression recently. Not diagnosed or anything, but I've been feeling like shit for a few weeks. It's not too bad, though. I don't want to ever take antidepressants.

You don't really need to be diagnosed. You can mostly tell on your own.

Quote by due 07
I feel they are over diagnosed. Some of my mates used to be on them and they are very glad to be off of them. I think increased focus on... "psychological rehabilitation", for lack of a better word, would be better.

Psychotherapy would be the correct term.
Yeah. But I have a pretty addictive personality so, more likely than not, I will get hooked on them and have to start rehabilitation sessions.
They can be over prescribed in some places, psychiatrists just don't have the time anymore to give proper counselling along with anti-depressants and there's often a shortage of psychotherapists, or they are out of many people's cost range.

Anti-depressants work, and they are necessary for many people to help battle the symptoms, but they won't usually fix the depression, you need psychotherapy for that.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by fender_696
Yeah. But I have a pretty addictive personality so, more likely than not, I will get hooked on them and have to start rehabilitation sessions.

I don't know of any addictive antidepressants. I know for sure that the most common type, SSRIs, are not addictive. They do, however, have a really nasty withdrawal.
Quote by Eastwinn

Psychotherapy would be the correct term.

Uh, yeah, that's it! I definitely think psycotherapy is an infinitely better option than antidepressants.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
They can be over prescribed in some places, psychiatrists just don't have the time anymore to give proper counselling along with anti-depressants and there's often a shortage of psychotherapists, or they are out of many people's cost range.

Anti-depressants work, and they are necessary for many people to help battle the symptoms, but they won't usually fix the depression, you need psychotherapy for that.

This.

I've been on anti-anxiety medication for almost 4 years now because it relieves the symptoms of anxiety, but psychotherapy is what has actually allowed me to reduce my anxiety itself.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
Actually, I don't think they're overdiagnosed. I'm the son of a psychiatrist. Yeah, it probably would help if psychiatrists can get people to exercise more or spend more time with their family, but they can't do more than suggest their patients do that. So...they do what they can.
Yes. There are far better alternatives as for some people to just go outside and join a club can sometimes already be enough.
But we live in a world where psychiatrists and doctors get paid to promote a certain product, so ofc they'll prescribe it to you whenever they can

I has it prescribed, I quit my psyche and bought some pot. Best decision ever
Quote by Ulalume
I had a friend who was held at gunpoint as a cashier. The robber told him to give him all the money in the register and what not. Apparently my friend then replied, "Would you like a slurpee with that?"
I'm on them, and they barely work. They really only make me less irritable....still depressed though...blah.
"I'll have 2 number nines, a number nine large, a number six with extra dip, a number seven, two number forty-fives, one with cheese, and a large soda" ~Melvin 'Big Smoke' Harris.
Quote by due 07
Uh, yeah, that's it! I definitely think psycotherapy is an infinitely better option than antidepressants.

I would agree that in most cases this true. Psychotherapy is far more expensive and way more time consuming, but it's more effective. It has no side effects on the body and doesn't form dependencies. Therapy should be the go to option and antidepressants should be used to supplement. Not the other way around.

It should also be noted that antidepressants do not actually reduce suicide risk, as some people think. They can drive some to suicide and prevent others. It's inconsistent (read: unsafe). The only psychiatric medicine known to reduce suicide risk is Lithium Carbonate. It's not an antidepressant.

Edit: To below: That was my bad, I wasn't thinking straight.
Last edited by Eastwinn at May 9, 2011,
Antidepressants aren't diagnosed, they are prescribed. Depression is what is diagnosed. Generally, you would know if you're depressed, it's not like a surprise that the doctor tells you, like a brain tumor. SSRI are not addicting, since you don't get a dopamine kick out of it, so no euphoria. Unfortunately, there definitely is a major withdrawl, so you can't suddenly decide to stop taking them. Other bad thing, is that if you start taking them in your 20s or 30s, when you're in your 50s and 60s, your body is accustomed to them and you start to feel depressed despite the drugs.
Ibanez Xiphos XPT700
Laney VH100R
Epi Les Paul (SH-1 '59 neck, SH-11 custom custom bridge)
Quote by Eastwinn
It should also be noted that antidepressants do not actually reduce suicide risk, and some people think. They can drive some to suicide and prevent others. It's inconsistent (read: unsafe). The only psychiatric medicine known to reduce suicide risk is Lithium Carbonate. It's not an antidepressants.

In the long run, the risk is reduced. Short term (within 2 months) the risk is higher, which is the reason for the blackbox warning. Most patients with depression aren't only "moody" but they're also exhausted and have no energy to do anything at all really. So while the drugs take time get through your brain and help the depressive mood, you feel energized within a week or two. Now if you're still incredibly depressed, but now have energy and motivation to do something, many patients end up attempting suicide. However, for the long term, once a patient is stabilized on an appropriate dose of antidepressant, their suicide risk will be lower than if they remained depressed and untreated for years.
Ibanez Xiphos XPT700
Laney VH100R
Epi Les Paul (SH-1 '59 neck, SH-11 custom custom bridge)
Yeah, I think they are..I refuse to go to the doctor about my depression for that reason...I just feel like I deserve to have emotions. I wanna know that I'm actually happy, and its not just the pill
I got some prescribed for me a while back. I'm not depressed, I'm just a douchebag. That is not an illness, but a personality trait.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by Stryker125
Yeah, I think they are..I refuse to go to the doctor about my depression for that reason...I just feel like I deserve to have emotions. I wanna know that I'm actually happy, and its not just the pill

I used to have this mentality. It's a perfectly good one, I suppose, but not with the degree of my illness.
Shoving pills only deals with the problem momentarily, antidepressants should be prescribed only if the person is attending some sort of therapy.

But yeah they are over-prescribed.
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Steam/XBL Gamertag: Ostinattos

Why not Zoidberg?

Note: Every time someone posts <3 all I see is testicles with a party hat.
I don't know how often they're prescribed. I wouldn't be surprised if lots of people asked for them without having clinical depression, though.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by Ostinattos
Shoving pills only deals with the problem momentarily, antidepressants should be prescribed only if the person is attending some sort of therapy.

But yeah they are over-prescribed.

That's an unrealistic way to look at it. The cost of psychiatric treatment can make psychotherapy unaffordable, and in some cases, an antidepressant alone is more effective than psychotherapy alone. Psychotherapists tend meet with patients on a regular basis at spaced out intervals; this is not ideal for some people. It's better to stabilize a patient with antidepressants than to risk a crisis because their therapist is on vacation this weekend.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
Of course you can't use either of them alone.

My point is that antidepressants should not be used without proper guidance from a psychoterapist, and yes I know they are used to stabilize the patient.
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Steam/XBL Gamertag: Ostinattos

Why not Zoidberg?

Note: Every time someone posts <3 all I see is testicles with a party hat.
Speaking of, I should probably find myself a therapist.

/Guilty
Quote by EMGs_rule
as long as you don't become dependent on them then there's no harm.

It's very difficult not to when you're as depressed as some of us
I hope it doesn't seem, like I'm young, foolish, and green.
Let me in for a minute, you're not my life but I want you in it

O Dayya, te echaré de menos, siempre

Y siempre
Y para siempre
I do believe a minority of people really do need them and it helps them get back on track but they are definitely over-prescribed.
PSN: Shibuib
Steam: Drag_on88rr@hotmail.com
add me

Elvis Presley aint got no soul, Chuck Berry is rock and roll.

日本語をシグに入れるのは馬鹿やキザ野郎のする事だぜ。
I think taking a pill for depression worsens the problem. When you're artificially happy due to a pill, you have no intensive to fix the thing that was making you depressed.
Quote by dave1701
I think taking a pill for depression worsens the problem. When you're artificially happy due to a pill, you have no intensive to fix the thing that was making you depressed.

Antidepressants work when there's a physical problem rather than an emotional problem. In some people, the sadness comes from a deficiency in their neural configuration rather than an actual problem in their life. In those cases, an antidepressant is useful and probably necessary. If you're just sad because you got dumped or something though, an antidepressant isn't the best way to deal with it.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by dave1701

The physical symptoms of depression can be crippling, antidepressants seek to alleviate them somewhat so that a person can go about getting some Cognitive Behavioural Therapy and changing the thought patterns that led to depression in the first place.
Without the medication though many people wouldn't be able to make full use of psychotherapy, it's difficult to do that when you have hypersomnia or whatever.

Pills aren't the be all and end all by any means, but they are a worthwhile and useful tool. The problem is that psychiatrists no longer generally provide therapy, only medication, and there aren't enough supports in place to allow people to see a psychotherapist.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Yes I think so, but my friend is on antidepressants and they really help him.
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
I work in a pharmacy, and my dad is addicted to prescription drugs, especially those that help with depression....my opinion is EXTREMELY biased hahaha. xD

But it is over prescribed...people go through a time of depression and all of a sudden think they have clinical depression. Then they go on medicine, and then it just ****s them up...and then they really do need the medicine. It's a vicious cycle imo.
Quote by AzureNight
I still refuse to believe, and have not seen proper evidence for depression being a "disease" and not something that results from circumstances in one's life. What evidence is there that the hormonal imbalance (i.e. "physical" depression) causing people to be depressed isn't caused by how they feel about things in life? And that it can happen at random, for absolutely no reason?

Who says that it is purely physical? I've never heard that claim. There are physical elements to it, but I would primarily see it as a maladaptive set of cognitions.
That doesn't make it not a "disease" though, although I prefer the term disorder when talking about psychiatric issues like that.

the connotations that diseases happen "randomly" or isn't caused by stuff within the person is flawed. They are analogous to depression, which can come about both by a combination of your environment, upbringing, and your genetics. All that stuff plays a role, as it does in any medical problem.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Last edited by Ur all $h1t at May 9, 2011,
Thing is, a lot of antidepressants, despite the name, don't just help fix depression. I had antidepressants prescribed to me to help not only with depression, but also with OCD. But I don't take them because I don't like the sexual dysfunction side effects.
If 4 more people tell me to go back to writing The Vanishing Point, I will.

UG's Commie Pinko Bedwetter
Quote by DarkTom666
Physical exercise = best antidepressant to be prescribed

Fact. Another of my friends used to get bullied a lot in middle school. He started running and that let out all his shit. He also ended up being a lot stronger than any of his bullies
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
Quote by DarkTom666
Physical exercise = best antidepressant to be prescribed

I don't exercise regularly, but there is something about pushing your body to it's limits that makes you feel good about yourself isn't there?
Page 1 of 2