I do it in school but I want to train it even more after it.
Are there any websites that are really good for ear training?
How do you guys train it?
Quote by kaptkegan
Don't think I've ever been sigged.

I pretty much never leave the drug thread anymore.
learn to identify intervals and single notes, try transcribing songs, tune without a tuner etc. it'll improve your ear.
teoria.com
musictheory.net

i highly recommend earmaster pro.

its an amzing program.
Classical Guitarist
I think there are several threads floating around here with that same question, but nonetheless...

I found Teoria just a few days ago and I love how interactive it really is with you. I practice through constant repitition. If I'm stringing through certrain intervals but am still having trouble with fourths and fifths, I'll eliminate every other interval and focus on both of them to listen for their specific difference. It also works wonders to play back pitches on your instrument and sing them and use solfegge to memorize a certain quality of notes to a scale.

Fixed repetition of two or three intervals pays better than shredding through a pattern of scales.

Also find examples of specific notes being used in actual songs. This weekend I was working on just one note, D, and, while most of the time I only heard it in specifically a D5 interval, and listened for that note being played in two or three example songs.

You don't have to be familiar with these songs but I used the sustained D powerchord in the final cadence of Kreator's "Enemy of God" (which bleeds into "Impossibly Brutality" if you need a quick listen), then I listened to the Bass Intro in Kreator's "Voices of the Dead" to hear a different register of the same note. And then I listened to the same D interval used in Iron Maiden's "The Number of the Beast" to hear and sing back in another example to possibly find a relation my ears could be accustomed to. It's used as the pedal tone in the guitar/bass intro as well as the notes preceding right into Bruce Dickinson's mighty scream (where he is sustaining a D, I believe).

And don't forget rhythm! It's much easier but still very important to master. Be come accustomed to many rhythms, make simple ones up in your head, and then tap it out as you notate it.

My ears aren't amazing but you just need to learn and apply to make your ear training not only effective but enjoyable.
Last edited by Mathedes at May 9, 2011,
Quote by Zep_shizzle

i highly recommend earmaster pro.

its an amzing program.

I concur. It has a lot of different exercises for chords, scales, rhythm, intervals and progressions, the built in trainer is also a good teacher (though you can also create custom lessons).
Last edited by Calibos at May 10, 2011,
Thanks guys
I tried teoria but once my earmaster pro trail runs out I'll go on it lol
Quote by kaptkegan
Don't think I've ever been sigged.

I pretty much never leave the drug thread anymore.
I use ear trainer, although very rarely.
Transcribing is good. If you tab for UG you also help others, and it's fun. When you are good enough to be able to imagine a melody with corresponding notes, you can transcribe in your head. Choose a melody and try to figure it out. It's really useful, because you can do that everywhere.
Not sure if a sig is a necessity.
Being able to recognise your intervals in a major and minor scale is always quite helpful, but yeah i have to agree that transcribing and working out songs has always been the best help for me, without the aid of an instrument is really testing me at the moment.