Now, I don't plan on buying this for a long while. But I want to begin playing a few select guitars to get a feel for what I want to upgrade to. I'm at beginner level, and I have no complaints about my Welfare Strat, but I want to get a sense of what guitar is best for me.

I like Alternative type stuff. And not the crap you hear on the radio these days. Dinosaur Jr., The Breeders, R.E.M., Nirvana. I particularly like listening to J Mascis and his Jazzmaster, but I heard Fender Telecasters are more versatile, and with effect pedals, you can turn them from poppy punk style music to grunge like.

You might ask why a beginner is planning on a guitar he won't get for a few months. I'm trying to save up from now so I can have enough money to get a quality instrument. I have a Distortion pedal from Boss, which I will use frequently with this guitar. And I've been looking at Overdrive pedals aswell.

I particularly like:

Danelectro 59s
Fender Telecasters, Jazzmasters, and Mustangs
Gibson SGs

I'm just looking for peoples opinions on these, ESPECIALLY the Telecaster, because that seems to be my favorite at this point.

Sorry for the long post. Help appreciated though!
what is your current equipment? I hope you don't have a Boss DS-1, and I am yet to find a Boss overdrive i like. You need to play all of these guitars and see what YOU like the most, but I wouldn't get a new danelectro, they can't stay in tune after 30 seconds.
Guitars:
Gibson SG Standard with Bigsby
Gibson Custom ES-137
Gibson Custom 54' Les Paul VOS Goldtop
Gretsch G6129T Silver Jet
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (modded)
1970 Fender Twin Reverb (blackfaced)

A telecaster with humbuckers would probably be the best to suit you, just make sure it's not semi-hollow (they have feed-back issues). The humbuckers will work better for any type of effect system and will give you fuller tone. Since you say you're a beginner the bolt on neck will make the tone easier to deal with when overdriven
Get an American Deluxe Telecaster or an American Deluxe Strat. These things are HIGH QUALITY in every aspect
If it's creative, true to your musical goal, and it sounds good, put it in the song.

1. Guitar, delay, verb, amp, and creativity.
2. Well-tuned acoustic piano and creativity.
3. A bottle of water.
Quote by Bad Kharmel
A telecaster with humbuckers would probably be the best to suit you, just make sure it's not semi-hollow (they have feed-back issues). The humbuckers will work better for any type of effect system and will give you fuller tone. Since you say you're a beginner the bolt on neck will make the tone easier to deal with when overdriven

I would agree about the humbucker tele part, but I would go for the semi-hollow. I don't know where people get these ideas about feedback issues unless you want to play death metal while being 1 inch from your speaker. I prefer my semi-hollow for overdriven/fuzz tones. I can think of countless artists that use semi-hollow guitars, including teles, for overdriven music.
Guitars:
Gibson Custom ES-137
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:

Quote by kracdown
what is your current equipment? I hope you don't have a Boss DS-1, and I am yet to find a Boss overdrive i like. You need to play all of these guitars and see what YOU like the most, but I wouldn't get a new danelectro, they can't stay in tune after 30 seconds.

I'm sorry, but yes I do have a DS-1. I'd get a DS-2, but $40 for a half decent pedal sold me. What's wrong with a DS-1? I know its not the best distortion pedal, but for a beginner, it gets by exceptionally well.

I only have a 10 watt Marshall amp and a Squier Strat. I didn't want to heavily invest in anything too expensive, because I didn't know if I would stick with my guitar playing, but I think I'm enjoying learning to play and saving for a good upgrade.

By the way, I was looking at a Boss Overdrive
Quote by kracdown
I would agree about the humbucker tele part, but I would go for the semi-hollow. I don't know where people get these ideas about feedback issues unless you want to play death metal while being 1 inch from your speaker. I prefer my semi-hollow for overdriven/fuzz tones. I can think of countless artists that use semi-hollow guitars, including teles, for overdriven music.

it's because if you play through multiple effects given distortion as one of the effects and they're external (not being processed internally by the amp) and you can control the level of output they end up being really touchy. My friend has one and gets enormous feedback from just enough distortion for a Zeppelin song.
Quote by dkeenan
I'm sorry, but yes I do have a DS-1. I'd get a DS-2, but $40 for a half decent pedal sold me. What's wrong with a DS-1? I know its not the best distortion pedal, but for a beginner, it gets by exceptionally well.

I only have a 10 watt Marshall amp and a Squier Strat. I didn't want to heavily invest in anything too expensive, because I didn't know if I would stick with my guitar playing, but I think I'm enjoying learning to play and saving for a good upgrade.

Well, I would save up for a new amp as well as a new guitar. Nothing will sound better through your amp. I mean, some people think that no one likes the DS-1 because they all had beginner amps, but I have played mine though every amp of mine and my friends, and it never sounds good. There are much better options out there. I really like Nobels ODR-1, its only $99.00USD and sounds awesome.

Quote by Bad Kharmel
Quote:
Originally Posted by kracdown

it's because if you play through multiple effects given distortion as one of the effects and they're external (not being processed internally by the amp) and you can control the level of output they end up being really touchy. My friend has one and gets enormous feedback from just enough distortion for a Zeppelin song.

I don't get any feedback at Zeppelin level things. Even with my Russian Big Muff with the distortion all the way up only feeds back when I leave it untouched and facing my amp, but I love feedback, but only when you can easily control it.
Guitars:
Gibson Custom ES-137
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:

Dude, I suggest you get either a good processor, a good amp or new pickups. Wait til you are more experienced, then you will be clear what guitar is best for you. Other than that, research more on different guitars of different brands. If you really like to get one guitar, I would recommend ESP,LTD,Ibanez or Jackson. Although they are guitar more built specifically for Metal, they would do with other genres too, because they are powerful and have good sustain. If you are looking for higher end ones, try Caparison or Gibson. For pickups go for EMGs or Seymour Duncan. I have a personal preference for Jackson and Ibanez, and like EMGs a lot, so this advice is at your own risk. Nevertheless, I hope you can make a wise decision and good luck
Quote by Bad Kharmel

That humbuckers are that much better for playing for multiple effects might be debatable, but bolt on neck making the tone easier to deal with when overdriven sounds like plain nonsense to me.
Look at the G&L ASAT tribute it is afrdable and as good of quality as a lowend USA Tele.
I'm realy suprised no one here has recomended one.
Nobody's represented the Jazzmaster...they're a lot more versatile than people make them out to be. I've been able to get a much wider range of sounds from Jazzmasters than from Teles.

What about a Jaguar? They're like Jazzmasters but not quite as "niche" sounding.
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
Quote by sonic_777111
Nobody's represented the Jazzmaster...they're a lot more versatile than people make them out to be. I've been able to get a much wider range of sounds from Jazzmasters than from Teles.

What about a Jaguar? They're like Jazzmasters but not quite as "niche" sounding.

Jaguars seem to have their own fair share of problems. I like them, but I wouldn't get that first.

Jaguars were popular because they were cheaper and easy to buy in the old days. But I like their sound too, which is really what matters most.
Quote by Bad Kharmel

....wut....
Quote by Bad Kharmel

....Wat?

A Tele with Humbuckers will do you quite nicely. They are extremely versatile and can take just about anything you can throw at them. You have a few options there with the 72' Tele Deluxe Re-Issue and the Blacktop Tele.

Might I also suggest checking out the new Pawn Shop Mustang Special it would be a nice choice as well, but you can't really go wrong with either of them.
Quote by Carmel
Lucky I'm a girl and I don't give a damn.

Quote by darkwolf291

I've seen her kill a man with a spork and a rubber band
No one is safe from the wrath of Batgirl!
dkeenan, get the Guitar that you know is the best and your favourite. the best shape and the best setup. You are going to be one playing it anyway. If you like Nirvana And Dinosaur Jnr, I would consider getting a Jazzmaster, Mustang, or Jaguar, Kurt Cobain and Thurston Moore J Mascis didn't play them for no reason, they are well made guitars designed by a genius that look ****ing fantastic. but Telecasters do have pretty good aspects to them to. The guitarist from The soft pack plays a squire Telecaster, in butterscotch its ****ing sweet!

Ds 1 is great. all Roland Boss Pedals are ****ing great. if you want more gain and volume from your amp, buy a Boss Ds 1.
Quote by poorhillbilly
****ing hell yeah

You double posted just to say that?

Ontopic: Can't go wrong with the Fender Pawn Shop Mustang, in my opinion.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
the fender pawn shop mustang looks great...apparently it had like 18 differnt tones so its quite versatile.

you should also consider the jag cp, with slightly hotter pickups it is great (i have it)

there are also the blacktop series to try out. i tried a blacktop tele and quite liked it. very nice and more comfortable than normal teles that ive tried

i would also invest in a cheaper tube amp. i recently tried the laney cub 10. nothing too fancy but it sounded nice. youll need an overdrive though cos its overdrive isnt too great

as for pedals i liked the ds-1 however once you put it infront of atube amp with a good guitar it will sound much, much better. i have the ds-2 though and i quite like it.
Quote by PsiGuy60
You double posted just to say that?.

I just wanted to needlessly censored 4 times. because i'm a Poor Hillbilly. i'm off my chain. I'm rabid.
Quote by dkeenan

I'd say an American STRAT would be the way to go honestly. A Tele is going to be very twangy, even with a HB, I'd say a Strat is more versatile. Just look at the list of players using them. It's just a proven, excellent quality instrument and as a beginner you are undoubtedly going to evolve and check out new players and styles over time. A Strat can handle just about any style with the exception of Metal (IMO anyway). You already play a Squire? It'll make the transition seamless because the neck will be very similar. Also, there are a lot of modifications you can do to the electronics of a strat to really dial in a tone you like. (mid boosts, on-board preamps, pup selection mods, etc...)

Also, you'll need to upgrade that amp soon as well. Get a tube amp. I'd recommend a Fender Hot Rod. You can usually find them for under or around $600. The reason I say this is that an overdrive pedal isn't really a distortion pedal. It works best if it is "driving" the tubes in your amp. I use a Fulltone OCD. Sounds awesome and they run about $135. I would start to drift away from Boss pedals and look at Fulltone, MXR, and if you are into the overdrive thing, an obvious choice is the Ibanez Tubescreamer 808. There are a few others worth checking out as well but Boss just doesn't do distortion/OD as well as many other companies in my opinion.

I hope this helps. You've got time on your side so check out all of your options!
Guitars:
Gibson SG
'96 Fender Strat
Ibanez AS120

Amps:
100w All tube 2x12 custom

Effects:
Electro-Harmonix Q-Tron
EP Boost
Fulltone OCD
Ibanez TS9
RAH OD
Strymon Lex
Timeline
TC Trinity

EG is going to the dogs.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
OP, I see you listed Danelectro 59s in your guitars of interest. I paid less than £200 for mine and it's absolutely great. I had to do a minor intonation and neck adjustment when I got it, but it's my favourite guitar.

The middle setting on the stock pickups combined with a big muff through a clean amp would definitely satisfy the whole dinosaur jr (J mascis fan myself)/nirvana/sonic youth type sound, even if it is not an exact replication. Clean with some tremolo/reverb/chorus/delay sounds awesome too.
yep
i'd say go for telecaster or SG.
check with them and choose the one you love best. quite different but i'd prefer one of those.
For now spend $70 on a Dimarzzio Fast Track or Duncan Hot Rail and throw it in the bridge of your Squire and you will be able to do whatever you want along the lines of music you are into. Then when you feel ready and get the guitar you want be it a Tele or what you can still throw that pup into your Tele. Dimarzzio Fast Tracks cameout in 91 and that is how long they have been in my 62 re-issue Tele.
try PRS guitars... amazing in quality, tone and everything.
For OD pedals: BJFE Honey Bee
Zendrive
Paul Cochrane Tim
Xotic (rc,ac,bb any really)
Lovepedal Eternity Fuse

Stay away from BOSS! BOUTIQUE PEDALS FTW!
Last edited by vegas_shb at May 14, 2011,
Just skimming through the posts here I didn't see a budget listed... If I missed it, sorry. When you say "high end" guitar, big dollar signs pop into my head, but if by high end, you mean like <$600, then ignore my post.

American strat - will cover any alt rock quite well. Lots of alt rock bands use a strat, plus it's one of the most popular guitars in the world for a reason.

Tele - See strat above. Has a bit more twang than the strat, so if that's your thing, then she's your girl. I tend to look at most tele's as being better suited for country/rockabilly, but then Jim Root went and shit all over that, so

Gibson Les Paul - Probably the most iconic hard rock guitar. People who don't know shit about music can identify a LP. I'd avoid the studio line, as they just don't seem to have the same build quality and QC as the standards and customs. Dual humbuckers are VERY versatile, and can play literally anything. Though you'll have a hard time replicating the twangy goodness of a strat, even with split humbuckers.

Ibanez - Never played one TBH, but I hear great things about them.

PRS - See Ibanez ^^

Carvin - Get one. Seriously. I've played guitar on and off for like 9 years on various LP's, strats, SG's, etc, etc, and when my Carvin got delivered a few months ago, I was totally blown away. It showed up set up PERFECTLY. Action is right where I like it, neck is super fast and comfortable, the thing has incredible tone.... I could go on all day. Best guitar I've ever played, hands down. They will build the guitar to your specs, so every Carvin is basically a custom shop model, only the price tag is more in line with a factory model from other brands. I've really turned into a Carvin fanboy lately, but I don't care. They make amazing guitars. The reasle valuse will not be what you'd see from a Gibson, etc, but most people who buy a Carvin don't sell them.

Epiphone - Some people will scoff at the fact that I've included epi into a list of high end stuff, but their higher range models are very nice guitars. Don't count them out just because it doesn't say Gibson on the headstock. Trust me, I have a Gibson and I've played epi's that had better tone than my gibby.

In the end, it's all about preference though. Nobody can tell you what guitar you're going to like the best. Just gotta go to a store and get your hands on as many as they will allow.

Also, it's worth noting that your amp is gonna have a major impact on your tone. Probably moreso than the guitar (to some extent). If you're playing a $4,000 les paul through an MG, it's still gonna sound like ass. But as far as guitars go, you just want something that's comfortable to play, and can hit the tones you're after.

EDIT: Wow, didn't realize what a text wall this was until I hit submit...
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
I like my Boss DS-2. I mean it can nail grunge tones perfectly. I've got a killer Soundgarden+ Mudhoney setting.
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
More than the guitar, I think you need a new amp if you want to upgrade. I bought a MIM strat yesterday and it doesn't sound too good through my Spider 15w. If you are looking at an SG, your price range would be around $1200. You should certainly spend a little on an amp ($200) and the rest on the guitar. American strats and teles are around $1000. Do some research and try them in-store.