A good example is the chords used in the outro to the end of the song horizons by parkway drive, from the low d to the high d (if we're in drop d, i play in drop c) the chords i'm talking about go 5-5-7,5-5-8,5-5-9 and 5-5-10, anywhere on the neck of course. If anyone could give me some bands that make extensive use of these chord shapes that would be awesome, i'm so sick of normal powerchords and i love using these chords in my melodeath band, but i know next to no bands that use them that i can get ideas from.
Last edited by maowcat at May 9, 2011,
How about... I Killed the Prom Queen, The Ghost Inside, August Burns Red, Emmure or Your Demise?
Quote by rg_metal
I love to utilize furniture to achieve the desired penetration.

UGH!
taste
kaygade
i'll check em out, thanks

edit: i really like the ghost inside so far besides the shitty screamer, emmure sounded like elephants taking a dump
Last edited by maowcat at May 10, 2011,
Quote by maowcat
i'll check em out, thanks

edit: i really like the ghost inside so far besides the shitty screamer, emmure sounded like elephants taking a dump

Oh well... You can't strike gold with last.fm every time.
Quote by rg_metal

UGH!
taste
kaygade
Quote by Senor Kristian
Oh well... You can't strike gold with last.fm every time.

i'm not even sure if that is an insult or something, i didn't even know what the **** last.fm was untill i googled it ten seconds ago...
Quote by maowcat
A good example is the chords used in the outro to the end of the song horizons by parkway drive, from the low d to the high d (if we're in drop d, i play in drop c) the chords i'm talking about go 5-5-7,5-5-8,5-5-9 and 5-5-10, anywhere on the neck of course. If anyone could give me some bands that make extensive use of these chord shapes that would be awesome, i'm so sick of normal powerchords and i love using these chords in my melodeath band, but i know next to no bands that use them that i can get ideas from.

That's a major chord, get the hell out of here.
Quote by NotFromANUS
That's a major chord, get the hell out of here.

I know what a major chord is asshole, knowone in my band understands the slightest amount of theory besides basic chords so i'm used to writing down tabs over the internet like that, **** i hate this site, bunch of unhelpful trolls, i just want some band suggestions, not your smart ass comments, grow up. Even if i didn't know what a major chord was does it matter, if you weren't an asshole you would kindly state that that is something i should probably understand, or something nicer, i'm not great with theory but i'm not a ****ing moron.
Quote by maowcat
I know what a major chord is asshole, knowone in my band understands the slightest amount of theory besides basic chords so i'm used to writing down tabs over the internet like that, **** i hate this site, bunch of unhelpful trolls, i just want some band suggestions, not your smart ass comments, grow up. Even if i didn't know what a major chord was does it matter, if you weren't an asshole you would kindly state that that is something i should probably understand, or something nicer, i'm not great with theory but i'm not a ****ing moron.

no, he meant that major chords have no place in metal, eg: you should not be playing them.
Quote by technicolour
no, he meant that major chords have no place in metal, eg: you should not be playing them.

Is that some type of retarded joke?
I swear you people are ****ing retarded, if you actually believe that major chords shouldn't be used in metal you must be on crack, they aren't used know where near as much as minor chords but plenty of metal bands use major chords, especially melodic ones, someone close this stupid thread and i'll search for bands myself.
Oh, it's not major chords specifically. It's any thought in any regards to music theory at all that does not belong in metal.
Philosophy > Life
Quote by maowcat
i'm not even sure if that is an insult or something, i didn't even know what the **** last.fm was untill i googled it ten seconds ago...

Not meant as an insult. I just hear chords like that used often in modern alternative nu-melodeath/metalcore stuff, which is why I just recommended something random.
Quote by rg_metal

UGH!
taste
kaygade
Quote by MoogleRancha
Oh, and what in the flying fuck is a "melodic" chord?

i should have phrased that better, melodic bands
Last edited by maowcat at May 11, 2011,
Quote by maowcat
knowone in my band understands the slightest amount of theory

Genius.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Quote by jetfuel495
not metal enough for you? Protip: he's shouting, not screaming.

i don't know what to consider screaming anymore, but when i listen to some of the songs again your right, i've heard some really ****ed up screamers, one guy i tried out for my band sounded like a viking take a dump while getting it up the ass, we didn't see him again, but my screamer now is perfect, he can scream anything and does it incredibly well
Quote by eazy-c
Genius.

it's the internet bro, i don't give the slightest shit if i use proper grammar
I do. Luckily your grammar isn't being called into question.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
I concur with Dr. EZ-C. It is your general lack of intelligence that is being brought into question. And I highly doubt you can defend yourself, being that you consider "knowone" a real word and major chords being of any import to metal.
Philosophy > Life
Quote by MoogleRancha
I concur with Dr. EZ-C. It is your general lack of intelligence that is being brought into question. And I highly doubt you can defend yourself, being that you consider "knowone" a real word and major chords being of any import to metal.

Who said i considered "knowone" a word, it's a bad habit of mine, just like how i never used to remember how to spell definitely, now because of you i probably will remember it so i thank you kindly. If you actually question someones intelligence off of making a stupid spelling mistake and your own opinions on music please just keep these things to yourself, and i'm not gonna lie, some of the things i've said sounded pretty stupid, but i was on edge and wanted to punch a hole in the wall yesterday, i have bad anxiety which really doesn't help. People use major chords in metal, not often, but if you don't like the types of metal that do have it don't listen to it. If you don't like major chords in metal well that's fine by me, but it doesn't mean they don't have a place, it gives a nice big and epic feel, but still keeps the darker side of metal there when played right, when my band records our new stuff i'd be happy to send it to you.
Last edited by maowcat at May 11, 2011,
Quote by MoogleRancha
Oh, and what in the flying fuck is a "melodic" chord?

*bro-fist*
Melodic chords suck