I just finished watching Pulp Fiction for the first time. The friend who suggested it to me as a "genre film, which transcends genre."

Which got me thinking, what are some other genre works (books, films, etc) which transcend their genre and work on their own as actually good films.

Here are some of the ones I came up with; The Empire Strikes Back (film), The Sandman (comic), The Godfather (film), The Grifters (book), Pulp Fiction (obviously), Double Indemnity (film).

What are some genre films which you guys think overcome the constraints of their genre to be a legitimate work of art, or at least something more than just a good genre movie?

(If anyone doesn't understand what I mean by "genre work", just ask, but I think I've made it pretty clear what I mean.)
Quote by Fassa Albrecht

I love you!

Quote by jibran
You live in Australia.

Bill Frisell Group
The Dark Knight. It's much more than a superhero movie, and you don't even have to like superheroes or Batman to appreciate how good it is.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by rgrockr
The Dark Knight. It's much more than a superhero movie, and you don't even have to like superheroes or Batman to appreciate how good it is.

This.
what genre would you say pulp fiction is? gangster ? crime? thriller?

also
Lucky Number Sleven
Quote by GandalfWh1te
what genre would you say pulp fiction is? gangster ? crime? thriller?

It's a...pulp fiction.

YYYEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Lifetime's album Jersey's Best Prancers. It's melodic hardcore or pop-punk or whatever, but it is a work of art. So it's not just a good pop punk album, it's a good piece of art.

I also thought A Clockwork Orange (book) is a good choice. It's almost a shocker/horror, but it is breathtaking.
Last edited by due 07 at May 9, 2011,
Quote by rgrockr

Batman Begins was better.
The whole idea of QT's films is he takes genres and plays with the set rules it has, mixing it with rules of other genres to make something new out of something familiar.

The easiest examples are Kill Bill part 1: A Western set in an Eastern Eye film, and Kill Bill Part 2: An Eastern Eye film set in a Western.
Good Charlotte sounds like...uh...they sound like...um...well, they taste like a popsicle stick thats been shoved up someones ass -Eddie Vedder

REMEMBER DISCO: All stupid fads go away with time. STOP COMPLAINING
Quote by goest

OT: The Lord of the Rings trilogy, Inglourious Basterds, Sergio Leone's "Dollars" trilogy, the Star Wars original trilogy for films. The Mars Volta's De-Loused in the Comatorium, Metallica's Black Album, System of a Down's Toxicity for albums.
EDIT: And Watchmen. Comic not film. Not a big fan of comics in general, but I loved Watchmen.
V Heheheheheheh.
Please excuse my godawful username. I was thirteen.
Last edited by Thrasher51 at May 9, 2011,
Quote by goest

Shut your bitch mouth.

EDIT: ninja'd ^
Super
Old
Cats
Are
Surprising

Many profile views... few friends...
Dune
Dead bull with the life from the low
I'll be massive conquistador
Give me soul and show me the door
Metal heavy, soft at the core
Gimme toro, gimme some more

Steam: Mengsk
MAL
Neil Gaiman's American Gods (novel)

Most of Stephen King's work. A lot of it is pulpy sci-fi horror, which he often (but nearly always) manages to work with to create something at the end that doesn't really fit in with the rest of pulpy sci-fi horror. Bag Of Bones is a good example.

Y: The Last Man and Preacher for comics. Though Preacher does get stuck in the western-ness.

Edit: also for comics, V for Vendetta.
Last edited by GettintheLedout at May 10, 2011,
Quote by StratoCatser
Shut your bitch mouth.

EDIT: ninja'd ^

Okay this annoys the crap out of me. You didn't REALLY edit your post. You just posted the same thing as the last guy and tried to make it look like you didn't know it was already posted.

OT: You guys have me really wanting to read The Clockwork Orange. As far as movies go, I'd have to say Cool Runnings transcends the "sports movie" genre. Incredible film.

TABBERS WANTED
If you are interested, and are up to it, please PM me for more info on the song.
Yes, it's just one song in particular, theres no shredding or fast solos.
It is a mellow, instrumental, clean, song.
Quote by JRib1216
Okay this annoys the crap out of me. You didn't REALLY edit your post. You just posted the same thing as the last guy and tried to make it look like you didn't know it was already posted.

OT: You guys have me really wanting to read The Clockwork Orange. As far as movies go, I'd have to say Cool Runnings transcends the "sports movie" genre. Incredible film.

Hey fella, it doesn't put up the "Edited by so-and-so at whatever time" until a certain amount of time has passed. If you edit immediately, there's no sign that it's edited.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
Hey fella, it doesn't put up the "Edited by so-and-so at whatever time" until a certain amount of time has passed. If you edit immediately, there's no sign that it's edited.

Haha whoops! I guess that's just the assumption I usually make when I see that posted recently. Although I HAVE seen older posts where someone "fakes" editing it.
TABBERS WANTED
If you are interested, and are up to it, please PM me for more info on the song.
Yes, it's just one song in particular, theres no shredding or fast solos.
It is a mellow, instrumental, clean, song.
Dhalgren by Samuel R. Delany. I've heard it's like the Gravity's Rainbow of science fiction. I've been meaning to pick it up, but I have several other books I need to read first (including, coincidentally, Gravity's Rainbow, which I'm determined to finish).
Watchmen.

It's not your regular superhero movie. It's much darker and isn't very predictable. Also I love how it focuses a lot on the characters' problems and history together, rather than make them look awesome/heroic and have 'em save people's lives.
I can't even remember a single person in that movie that they helped

AEDIT: Also, Wristcutters is the kind of movie that puts a new meaning to 'Romantic Comedy'. I like to classify it more as a dark comedy film.
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at May 10, 2011,
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Watchmen.

It's not your regular superhero movie. It's much darker and isn't very predictable. Also I love how it focuses a lot on the characters' problems and history together, rather than make them look awesome/heroic and have 'em save people's lives.
I can't even remember a single person in that movie that they helped

AEDIT: Also, Wristcutters is the kind of movie that puts a new meaning to 'Romantic Comedy'. I like to classify it more as a dark comedy film.

The movie sucked, bro. It was rather faithful to the comic (other than some details in the ending), but it seemed to completely miss the point, IMHO. Plus, it has all of those annoying Zack Snyder slo-mo shots. Go read the comic; it's a far better piece of work.

*is admin of the Watchmen group on here*

While you're at it, read V for Vendetta, too. And From Hell.
Quote by Holy Katana
The movie sucked, bro. It was rather faithful to the comic (other than some details in the ending), but it seemed to completely miss the point, IMHO. Plus, it has all of those annoying Zack Snyder slo-mo shots. Go read the comic; it's a far better piece of work.

*is admin of the Watchmen group on here*

While you're at it, read V for Vendetta, too. And From Hell.

Everyone keeps telling me that.

I've never read the comic, maybe that's why I loved it. I had absolutely no expectations from it other than being another superhero movie.

But I will definitely read the comics someday
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
I thought Batman Begins sucked ass.

I think your dick sucks arse.
Inb4 Jack Off Jill
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
BTBAM... always relevant...
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Watchmen.

It's not your regular superhero

Okay, we're off to a good start here...
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
movie.

Quote by dudetheman

I don't think there is.

Pulp fiction is of the New wave genre as are most tarrantino films. Well maybe not a genre but it's not really anything that different.
Last edited by Greenie_777 at May 10, 2011,
Quote by Greenie_777
I don't think there is.

Pulp fiction is of the New wave genre as are most tarrantino films. Well maybe not a genre but it's not really anything that different.

That is not a genre and you're ignoring the fact that Pulp Fiction was something very unique when it was released in 1994.
Quote by dudetheman

Quote by goest

I found Batman Begins reaaaally slow and a bit boring, quite honestly. The Dark Knight was awesome though, it's the only Batman movie that I like.
Fender Lite Ash --> TC Polytune --> Digitech Whammy V --> MXR Phase 90 --> EHX Small Clone --> Strymon Orbit --> TC Flashback X4 --> Rivera R55
The Mass Effect series of video games, they're both great games yet they're both extremely cinematic as well so i'd say that counts, and Heavy Rain too actually
The most grossly offensive and mishandled application of intellectual property since the Schindler's List Easy-Bake Oven.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
That is not a genre and you're ignoring the fact that Pulp Fiction was something very unique when it was released in 1994.

Well, there was the French New Wave. I'd consider that a genre, sort of. But yeah, Pulp Fiction certainly isn't French New Wave.
Quote by Holy Katana
Well, there was the French New Wave. I'd consider that a genre, sort of. But yeah, Pulp Fiction certainly isn't French New Wave.

Borrows pretty heavily from it as do all Tarrantinos films. I probably shouldn't argue with you guys though as I'm basing my film knowledge on a media studies AS.
Quote by Greenie_777
Borrows pretty heavily from it as do all Tarrantinos films. I probably shouldn't argue with you guys though as I'm basing my film knowledge on a media studies AS.

Oh. Well, to be honest, I've never watched any Godard or any of those guys, even though I've been meaning to. So, do they do the whole nonlinear thing, too?
Quote by Holy Katana
Oh. Well, to be honest, I've never watched any Godard or any of those guys, even though I've been meaning to. So, do they do the whole nonlinear thing, too?

Yeah I can't remember any examples but I remember writing a whole paragraph on it for my coursework which compared it's influence on modern cinema.

I wouldn't recommend watching new wave films unless you are really interested in cinema a lot of it just seemed really pretentious but it's undeniable how it's influenced some great films today.

But the fact that his production company is called a Band apart is a pretty big indicator of the it's influence on his work.
Last edited by Greenie_777 at May 10, 2011,
Quote by Greenie_777

Virtually every "serious" American film following the French New Wave was influenced by it. Everyone from Woody Allen to Francis Ford Coppola were markedly effected by it.
Quote by dudetheman

Quote by Greenie_777
Yeah I can't remember any examples but I remember writing a whole paragraph on it for my coursework which compared it's influence on modern cinema.

I wouldn't recommend watching new wave films unless you are really interested in cinema a lot of it just seemed really pretentious but it's undeniable how it's influenced some great films today.

But the fact that his production company is called a Band apart is a pretty big indicator of the it's influence on his work.

I'm a total film nerd, so I would most likely enjoy it.
Also, any Wes Anderson movie is great.
I think Wes Anderson should have his own genre, since his movies have a certain 'feel' to them different than other movies in their genre.