Recently I've been looking to acquire a strat for some single coil love. I was originally going to trade a guitar for one but it fell through so I'm now shopping around while I sell the guitar instead. I've never had a strat so I'm looking for some info here before I go testing guitars.

What I'd like to know is for all you Fenderheads out there, what should I be looking for in a strat? I love John Mayer's tone and that's what I'd be seeking with this guitar. My research tells me it goes Special, Standard, Deluxe, Reissue. I definitely don't want an HSS model and chances are I'll be focusing more on the standard or deluxe series. What should I be looking for in a good strat? Are lace sensor equipped strats good for what I'm looking to achieve? What kind of price would I be looking at for a strat that would fulfill these needs? I'll likely by buying used. Thanks for any info.
Quote by Necronomicon
Recently I've been looking to acquire a strat for some single coil love. I was originally going to trade a guitar for one but it fell through so I'm now shopping around while I sell the guitar instead. I've never had a strat so I'm looking for some info here before I go testing guitars.

What I'd like to know is for all you Fenderheads out there, what should I be looking for in a strat? I love John Mayer's tone and that's what I'd be seeking with this guitar. My research tells me it goes Special, Standard, Deluxe, Reissue. I definitely don't want an HSS model and chances are I'll be focusing more on the standard or deluxe series.

Well, pretty much any of those will be able to make a John Mayer tone, easily. I'm assuming that you are referring to American Fenders, so yeah pretty much any of them. Also, there's the Highway One between the Special and Standard, but it's usually only appealing to players who enjoy a Nitro finish (It's main feature). And there's also the Vintage Hot Rod, which are the same level as the Reissue, but with more modern features.

Also, at this price range, why not just look at a John Mayer Stratocaster? He's currently got two models offered, though one is a limited run of 500.

What should I be looking for in a good strat?

Good resonance and playability, the pickups are ridiculously easy to upgrade, so you want a strat that excels in ways that are harder to "fix". Though a nice playing and sounding Strat is preferable, of course, and quite common.

Are lace sensor equipped strats good for what I'm looking to achieve?

No.

What kind of price would I be looking at for a strat that would fulfill these needs?

Honestly, I think you could get the tones you are looking for with a much cheaper Stratocaster. There are quite a few Mexican Fenders that very well built and come equipped with Texas Specials. They aren't quite John's custom "Big Dipper" pickup, but they work for his older tone (and can work very well for his modern tone).
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Last edited by kangaxxter at May 10, 2011,
Thanks a lot for the reply. I found a couple strats on Kijiji around $750-850. One's a 70's reissue and one is a 2001 standard. In terms of harder to fix you're talking neck feel and wood resonance, or something else? I looked at the Fender website but all the signature models are around $2200 which is way more than I want to pay for anything. What I'm not really seeing is what would be the difference between say the 70's reissue I found and the 2001 standard. They have almost identical features don't they? There must be something wrong with that reissue for it to be so cheap... if not I think I might grab it.
I found a Mexican 60's reissue with all parts upgraded to Americans except for the wood for $550.. I think I'm going to take it.
My opinion $550 is too much for ANY MIM Strat. You can get em used for $250 all the time check craigslist. Then that leaves $ to put whatever pups and hardware you want in her.
Quote by stankepanck
My opinion $550 is too much for ANY MIM Strat. You can get em used for $250 all the time check craigslist.

Not a 60's reissue. The only ones you see go for less than $500 are standards. The 60's reissues are rarely for sale any usually run in the $500s.

Quote by Necro
In terms of harder to fix you're talking neck feel and wood resonance, or something else?

Neck feel and wood resonance, right.

Quote by Necro
What I'm not really seeing is what would be the difference between say the 70's reissue I found and the 2001 standard. They have almost identical features don't they?

It's a different set of features, IIRC, the 70's Reissue is on of the least common, mostly because it's features are most aesthetic.

Quote by Necro
I looked at the Fender website but all the signature models are around $2200 which is way more than I want to pay for anything

That's MSRP, retail price in much lower.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi