I am not a newbie, but definetely not a pro....

the way i see it....

MIM fenders are total rip off... at 499 they have the same specs as a squire classic vibe, but the squires have better pick ups and are priced at 349. '

IF i were to spend 499 on an average MIM, I may as well spend an extra 100 and get the players deluxe....

What do you "experts" say...hahahaha.
i say it would be stupid to not spend the extra $100 cuz the deluxe is a pretty good guitar. but in my honest opinion, i would go squire. my old '89 squier is still one of my favourite guitars i've played. it'll be easy to upgrade the squier, and you wont feel guilty for doing so. if you're willing to spend the extra money on the deluxe, you can put all that toward lets say a new set of tuners and maybe a bone nut? or upgrading the pickups if you dont like them. go wild.
A great guitar for the price is the Yamaha Pacifica... be sure to check that out.
Gear:
MXR Super Badass -->
BOSS SD WAZA -->
FENDER CD 140 SCE -->
MXR M300 REVERB -->
TC ELECTRONIC FLASHBACK
ESP EC 401 VF TSB -->
BOSS KATANA HEAD 100 WATT -->
MILF Tease
I can't say that I've ever played a Squire that I thought was nice, infact when I had only been playing for my first couple of years, they actually put me off the Fender name altogether.
It wasn't until I played a friends 60's USA re-issue years ago that I realised not all Fenders were horrible. I recenty bought a MIM 70's re-issue strat and I actually prefered it over the US ones that I tried. They're not that bad of a guitar tbh.
i cant stand the squier hating. the bullet series is terrible. but what do you expect from a $99 guitar? the affinity is incredibly hit or miss, but all the rest are actually pretty good guitars. they easily rival the mexican made ones. everybody that i know prefers my '89 squier to most american strats in both sound (bridge pickup only) and feel. i've won two bets against my local guitar store employees about it actually and walked out with free picks both times

to the OP. find one you really love. take time in store to make sure there arent scratchy pots, no dead frets, good neck joint, etc. once you find that good strat which you love, it'll outperform all mexican ones, and is dollar for dollar your best guitar you can buy.
you're looking at materials used more than anything. the hardware on the MIM's is better for sure and pickups are subject to debate. way better wood on the MIM's as well however the higher end squiers do use better wood than many chinese made guitars. i've played some great classic vibe guitars and a few that totally sucked. of course the same can be said of the MIMs. resale on a Fender is much better than a Squier.
Quote by Delboyuk_01
I can't say that I've ever played a Squire that I thought was nice, infact when I had only been playing for my first couple of years, they actually put me off the Fender name altogether.
It wasn't until I played a friends 60's USA re-issue years ago that I realised not all Fenders were horrible. I recenty bought a MIM 70's re-issue strat and I actually prefered it over the US ones that I tried. They're not that bad of a guitar tbh.

i had a squire and i liked it until my dad gave me his Custom Fender Strat, i would only recommend the squire for a beginner id say to save your money for something else
$500 for a MIM standard strat is basically highway robbery.

When I first started playing guitar, a black MIM standard strat was $290 and a sunburst one was $310. And this wasn't even that long ago, late '90s at least.