Poll Options
View poll results: What should I get?
Valve amp
123 80%
iPhone
30 20%
Voters: 153.
Page 1 of 3
Okay it's my eighteenth birthday pretty soon, which I donm't really want to make into a big deal, but my parents keep on asking me what I want them to get me. It's as if because I'm eighteen I suddenly get an awesome present by default... not that I'm complaining, mind you.
Anyway I have narrowed ideas down to either a valve amp (I don't own a valve amp yet - I have a Line 6 Spider III) or an iPhone, but I really don't know much about either. I mean, I'd love to own a Marshall amp, but I'd rarely be able to turn it up, and I'm not in a band yet, so I think that might be a bit of a waste, because I like the amp I have now anyway. And everyone says iPhones are great, but I see them getting cracked all the time, so I just don't know what's best...
Ideas?
Quote by goest
Get a jump on that whole death thing.

Yeah, i hear it's pretty great actually.
E-married to BlessedRebel15
Most Attractive Female 2011 ^^
Dark Black Rivers in the WinterTime
Quote by CrunchyRoll
I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but everything is against the rules at UG
Everyone should tell him what you really need is a new amp and get it out of their system.
Quote by gsd65
The iPhone if the other option is a Line 6...

The other option is replacing a Line 6.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
With all them crazy smart gadgets out there these days, i'd expect that there Itelephone doohickey to have a built in amping system.
Sail upon the open skies
Quote by angusfan16
With all them crazy smart gadgets out there these days, i'd expect that there Itelephone doohickey to have a built in amping system.

Years later, in an interview:
"So, what kinda gear are you using?"
"Oh, you know. Got my Gibson running through my IValve app. Gets a really sick tone."
Get a tube amp. You'll find times to crank it, lol. And it's not like they sound bad at low volumes, just not as epic as they sound once they get the tubes really working.
Get a decent amp. Fuck the iPhone. You don't fully appreciate the difference between your first/crap amp and a good tube amp until you plug it in and hear it for yourself. Trust me.
I want to read your essays and blogs of the artistic nature!

Art evokes the mystery without which the world would not exist.

- Rene Magritte
Quote by goest
"Oh, you know. Got my Gibson running through my IValve app. Gets a really sick tone."

*shudder*

- Rene Magritte
Ask the lads in the gear threads mate, they're genuinely helpful.

In other words, I do not play metal so not a clue

I have a Blues Jnr

- Rene Magritte
Quote by DJ_Effrey
So if I get an amp, what's good for playing metal?

Fender reverb or a blues Jr.
EDIT! I kid I kid. But yeah blackstars seem nice. I wouldnt mind owning one.
Last edited by TB!Guitar at May 10, 2011,
Quote by DJ_Effrey
So if I get an amp, what's good for playing metal?

Get a Peavey.
Sail upon the open skies
I got a tattoo for my 18th, but then again I wasn't stuck with a Spider as my amp. And as far as metal, it depends on how much of a budget you have and if you are going for a tube combo amp or a decent head/cab type deal. As long as the amp is decent, with a pedal metal is easily reachable, especially if you aren't gigging immediately. And in general, I agree with the magical/tool/djinn fellow above who suggested a Peavey.
Get the phone...you need a phone far more than an amp
Also nobody cares if you have a nice amp, but the bitches be running if you have a nice phone.
Quote by dylanfromearth
Get an android or the HTC inspire.

Quote by .Joker.
Get the phone...you need a phone far more than an amp
Also nobody cares if you have a nice amp, but the bitches be running if you have a nice phone.

The general consensus here is that remplacing a Line 6 spider III is a way better option than a do-it-all phone. Also, **** the bitches, if they need you to have a phone to go out with you, they need to sell their phone and buy a brain for themsleves.
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
Lol at Bender

Quote by So-Cal

Quote by theguitarist

I got to warn you for spam though...

Quote by Shredoftheday
Nicely put good sir

I witnessed Night Of The Pear 2
Last edited by bender424 at May 10, 2011,
Unless you're very serious about music, I'd say get the phone...it'll be used a lot more often, and you already have a usable amp.
Schecter C-1 Elite-->BOSS ME-20-->B-52 AT100 2x12

Quote by laid-to-waste
Extremely attractive woman.
extremely attractive
oh baby
EDIT: you're a guy. shit.
...an extremely attractive guy.
extremely attractive
oh baby

E-Paramour of Andrea55
Get an amp. The iphone will be outdated next year. Your amp will last most of your life as long as you get a decent one.
"For we are nothing without brotherhood and brotherhood is nothing without our brothers" -We Came As Romans
Quote by goest

iGibson*

Anyways TS...if you know nothing about what you want, why not ask for money and wait til you find something you DO want? Or go do some more research.
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
Quote by Beautiful
Unless you're very serious about music, I'd say get the phone...it'll be used a lot more often, and you already have a usable amp.

Line 6 spider III ....

Quote by RazorTheAwesome
Lol at Bender

Quote by So-Cal

Quote by theguitarist

Quote by Shredoftheday
Nicely put good sir

dood get a marshall mg. there much cooler than teh spider and teh crushing overdrive is br00tal
I pride myself on my humility.
spending that much on a phone is only worthwhile if you have the $50+ a month to use all the features and that might even be a few years contract. Get the amp. Phones get old a lot quicker than amps do.
My Gear:

Fretless Squier P Bass
Ibanez SR400QM
Gallien Krueger 1001RB
Traynor TC410
Digitech Whammy
Boss DD-7
Amp. The Spider series blows. You'll be surprised at how good you can sound with a nice amp.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
beer.

...I'd go iphone, because you can't crank up the amp loud which is when the tube amps sound best. esp. marshalls, they sound sorta shitty when played quietly imo.
and iphones won't crack if you're careful, it's just like an ipod touch. just don't drop it and it wont break.
I smoke like Rasta, got hair like pasta
I be sippin' on them shots then bustin' rhymes like Busta

Load up the bong, crank up the song, let the informa call 911
Quote by bender424
Line 6 spider III ....

Knew this was coming

But...for someone who just plays guitar as a part-time hobby, a Line 6 gives quite a few (admittedly mediocre) tones to mess around with.

Quote by laid-to-waste
extremely attractive
oh baby
extremely attractive
oh baby

E-Paramour of Andrea55
Quote by Beautiful
Knew this was coming

But...for someone who just plays guitar as a part-time hobby, a Line 6 gives quite a few (admittedly mediocre) tones to mess around with.

You're right, but for someone who take guitar and music seriously enough to be more than a hobby, getting a new amp is a good decision. I personnaly don't like phone. If I'm not home, I'm doing something else, and have no need to be reached at this exact moment. Maybe TS is a more sociable animal than me.
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
Lol at Bender

Quote by So-Cal

Quote by theguitarist

Quote by Shredoftheday
Nicely put good sir

Quote by bender424
You're right, but for someone who take guitar and music seriously enough to be more than a hobby, getting a new amp is a good decision. I personnaly don't like phone. If I'm not home, I'm doing something else, and have no need to be reached at this exact moment. Maybe TS is a more sociable animal than me.

Oh, for sure! If he's a more serious musician, the amp is better...I just assume, since it's a difficult choice, that he's more of a hobbyist who may use/enjoy a tricked out phone more.

Quote by laid-to-waste
extremely attractive
oh baby
extremely attractive
oh baby

E-Paramour of Andrea55
Quote by Beautiful
Oh, for sure! If he's a more serious musician, the amp is better...I just assume, since it's a difficult choice, that he's more of a hobbyist who may use/enjoy a tricked out phone more.

You made a good observation with your assumption, if he was more serious about it he wouldn't have asked the question. Or he is torn by the aspect of a new amp to feed his passion or having a phone to call a few cute girl.

I dunno lol

Just make sure that if you get a phone, you can pay for it every month.
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
Lol at Bender

Quote by So-Cal

Quote by theguitarist

Quote by Shredoftheday
Nicely put good sir

Quote by bender424
You made a good observation with your assumption, if he was more serious about it he wouldn't have asked the question. Or he is torn by the aspect of a new amp to feed his passion or having a phone to call a few cute girl.

I dunno lol

Just make sure that if you get a phone, you can pay for it every month.

Cute girls are better than music, in some cases

And that's a good point...hopefully his parents will be paying for that, too.

Quote by laid-to-waste
extremely attractive
oh baby
extremely attractive
oh baby

E-Paramour of Andrea55
Page 1 of 3