A couple of guys I know need a guitar player for their deathcore band. I'm not really into deathcore (but I don't really hate it either). I was thinking of trying out for their band because I'm just dying to play some music.

What would you guys do?
I would try it out... you make contacts, and it gives you experience.
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Tell them up front you will help, however you will only help until they find a better replacement (when I say "better" I mean as someone that prefers that kind of music, not talking about skill at all) or if you find a different band of fellow like-minded members.

Doesn't hurt to join them for awhile if you have nothing going on
"I have good eye-sight, insight, and foresight. How could an
intelligent hare make such a silly mistake?"
I wouldn't, I would find it hard to motivate myself to learn songs that I don't like..
What's your situation??

Are you able to give them the attention they expect?

Then it's fine.

If you think you are going to be sick to death (no pun) of their stuff in two weeks, that would not be fair.

For myself, I'd rather sit at home and watch chick flicks with needles in my eyes than go near a deathcore band ... but I am opinionated about that.

On the other hand, you might really get into it and find things about it that interest you and get you deeper into playing.
I'll elaborate more, I have joined a Death Metal band purely cause i was doing nothing waiting for members to join me

After playing one show with them it was a blast to be back on stage heaps of people, I have now got a few people offering to help my project and now have a few more gigs booked interstate

So you will always gain benefit in doing so
It depends.

I personally wouldn't join a deathcore band, as I primarily play rock and pop music, and I detest all the metal sub-genres that to me are mindless riffing, drummer-orientated wankary with nothing resembling a melody line. As a result I neither listen to it or play it.

If I listened to something remotely similar, for example, some other sub-genre of metal which has all those staples, sure I'd give it a go.

However I would be open to joining a country band, as I've already played in folk and pop bands already, there's enough middle ground there for me to be able to enjoy and play the music.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
If it's enjoyable, sure why not. As long as I'm having fun, that's what counts.
It depends. I have a like/don't like relationship with music. I like tons of stuff, but the rest, i generally dislike. Some more than other things. i would not play stuff that i don't like, but i would play stuff that i don't really care about playing. For example, i wouldn't play any kind of "core", rap, techno, or emo/screamo music, because i really don't like it. However, music i just don't care for but can enjoy, i'll gladly play. Punk, Britpop, that kind of things.

So i guess it comes down to your feelings about the music. If you just don't care about it, sure try it out and have fun, if its something you actually dislike, i'd say don't bother, i would hate myself for that. Creating what i'm hating. Nice little rhyme..

but then you could.. ENJOY IT AS YOU DESTROY IT.. buh yah, i'm on a roll.
FUCK YOU ALL!

666 BLACK METAL HOLOCAUST!!!!!
Quote by AlanHB
It depends.

I personally wouldn't join a deathcore band, as I primarily play rock and pop music, and I detest all the metal sub-genres that to me are mindless riffing, drummer-orientated wankary with nothing resembling a melody line. As a result I neither listen to it or play it.

If I listened to something remotely similar, for example, some other sub-genre of metal which has all those staples, sure I'd give it a go.

However I would be open to joining a country band, as I've already played in folk and pop bands already, there's enough middle ground there for me to be able to enjoy and play the music.

Way to stereotype an entire genre. I completely agree that a lot of bands simply play mindless riffs and aren't into the music for any musical reasons, but there are a lot of great bands (even death metal bands) that write very interesting music. Might not be your cup of tea, but to call it all mindless is unfair IMO.
Quote by Sóknardalr
Way to stereotype an entire genre. I completely agree that a lot of bands simply play mindless riffs and aren't into the music for any musical reasons, but there are a lot of great bands (even death metal bands) that write very interesting music. Might not be your cup of tea, but to call it all mindless is unfair IMO.

There are times where you should look past the words to see the message underneath it. Yes, I don't like the growly screamy metal. Take it as you must.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Depends how far away their genre is from mine.
Depends how serious they are. (Gigging regularly or just doing it for funsies)
Depends how well I know them.

If I get a positive answer to all of those 3 then hell yeah!
Quote by AlanHB
There are times where you should look past the words to see the message underneath it. Yes, I don't like the growly screamy metal. Take it as you must.

To be honest this:

Quote by AlanHB
I detest all the metal sub-genres that to me are mindless riffing, drummer-orientated wankary with nothing resembling a melody line.

...is a confusing sentence. At first I read it as "I detest all metal sub-genres, as they are to me nothing more than mindless riffing". I'm sorry I didn't read more closely. I myself don't like growling and find it a superfluous addition to any metal band, but there are times when you need to look past that as well. As I said, even a lot of death metal bands have interesting and "well-composed" music that deserves at least some acknowledgement.
probably not, depends though
Tick tock and waiting for the meteor
This clock is opening another door
I kinda am in two bands who play music I'm not really into.

I play guitar for an alternative/modern rock covers band. Stuff like Kings of Leon, Arctic Monkeys, Muse, etc, some of it I detest, some of it's okay, but none of it is really stuff I really like (bar a couple of songs on the set-list).

And I play bass for a Two-Tone Ska band, I like some Two Tone Ska, but I'm not really into the genre, for example, I really dislike Madness, and two of their songs are the bigger crowd pleasers in our set.
Though I really like third wave Ska and some other stuff not far removed from Two Tone.

So it's not so bad for me.

But yeah, I'm cool playing stuff I'm not fully into, it gets me money, gigs, and it is a lot of fun to play with other people.
Nope. I got invited a couple times to be the lead guitarist for some local post-hardcore band.
Yeah no thanks. Since it's just a local nothing band, the network factor doesn't really apply, either.
It might not be your absolute favorite genre, but if the rest of the band is talented and motivated, and you can see yourself at least getting into it a little, why not? I've filled in as lead guitarist in a country cover band and enjoyed the experience even though country is my least favorite genre and I generally like playing originals more. But I still learned from the other members and improved myself as a musician and had a good time. Go for it
I hate my sig
as long as its not Dutch Pop music of anything i cant play ofcourse, sure why not.