I sometimes get stuck and everything I play sounds the same.

Lately that is happening. I don't know how to incorporate a new sound and what techniques I should learn.
So I ask you.

What are some good semi begginer techniques to work on and how should I practice them?

Preferable something with a neoclassical feel.
how long have you been playing?

what techniques do you know?
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Quote by krypticguitar87
how long have you been playing?

what techniques do you know?

Around 3ish years, but I have taken large breaks and not taken seriously at times at all.
okay well what can you play?

do you know tapping? sweeping? slides? bending? pinch harmonics? string skipping?
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Quote by krypticguitar87
okay well what can you play?

do you know tapping? sweeping? slides? bending? pinch harmonics? string skipping?

Tapping-I'm not a great tapper, but I know the basics and I can do it.
Sweeping-A little hard for me, something I work on but am expecting a year or two before I'm great.
Slides-Meaning just like sliding from frets??
Bending- Can anybody not do this?
Pinch Harmonics- Can't do it at all, but not super interested.
String skipping-what?
Quote by anybodyelse
Tapping-I'm not a great tapper, but I know the basics and I can do it.
Sweeping-A little hard for me, something I work on but am expecting a year or two before I'm great.
Slides-Meaning just like sliding from frets??
Bending- Can anybody not do this?
Pinch Harmonics- Can't do it at all, but not super interested.
String skipping-what?

for slides, yes thats what I'm asking because I'm trying to get the idea of what you know.

bends, there are plenty of people who can bend, but there are way more people that cannot bend to the right note. when you play a full bend, do you hit the exact same note as two frets above the original note? if not then you cant actually bend.

stings skipping, look up "Paul Gilbert string skipping" on youtube, but it's basically something like this:

|--------------------------------|
|-----------------------0-1-3--|
|--------------------------------|
|---1--0--3--------------------|
|----------------0-1-3---------|
|-0--3--1----------------------|

pretty much you play something between two or three strings while skipping strings between them
Quote by Dirk Gently
You've been helpful, but I guess this isn't what I'm looking for, I guess I don't really know what I'm looking for.

I guess I want some skills that are fast and technical, maybe something good for using in soloing, I don't know... I'm just not ging anywhere lately.
play slow and practice...

honestly string skipping is a bit difficult and can sound really cool, uh try learning two hand tapping, where you tap chords with your fretting hand, and a melody with your picking hand. or also try taping out double stops with both hands, like try tapping something like this:

fret hand:
A|------5-7----7-5---|
E|-5-7------5------7-|

picking hand:
G|----------12-14-----14-12-----|
D|-12-14----------12---------14-|

practice doing them together, eventually you can write your own lick similar to this. these essentially make powerchords (A5 B5 D5 E5), but you can do pretty much any doublestops.

practice sweeping, start with three strings, then move to four, then five, then six, and if you have more strings, then keep adding.

also do you know any theory?
Quote by Dirk Gently
In all honesty I think you simply need to get better at the things you currently know. Most fast playing is using the exact same techniques as slow playing, just, well...faster.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by krypticguitar87
play slow and practice...

honestly string skipping is a bit difficult and can sound really cool, uh try learning two hand tapping, where you tap chords with your fretting hand, and a melody with your picking hand. or also try taping out double stops with both hands, like try tapping something like this:

fret hand:
A|------5-7----7-5---|
E|-5-7------5------7-|

picking hand:
G|----------12-14-----14-12-----|
D|-12-14----------12---------14-|

practice doing them together, eventually you can write your own lick similar to this. these essentially make powerchords (A5 B5 D5 E5), but you can do pretty much any doublestops.

practice sweeping, start with three strings, then move to four, then five, then six, and if you have more strings, then keep adding.

also do you know any theory?

I'll deffinitely try that tapping lick. Looks interesting if I do it right,

I know a bit of just the basic theory, I have really been wanting to learn more(not just guitar but music in general), but don't know how to learn this.
I would say for theory buy a book.. I tried learning from this site, but if you get at all confused and look in musician talk forum you'll normally see around 5-6 totally different answers. So im just going to buy a beginner guitar theory book and se how it goes.
Quote by anybodyelse
I'll deffinitely try that tapping lick. Looks interesting if I do it right,

I know a bit of just the basic theory, I have really been wanting to learn more(not just guitar but music in general), but don't know how to learn this.

musictheory.net

^go there and start with the lessons. do them in order and do not move on to the next lesson till you understand the one you are on. if you need help the MT thread will have plenty of people to help you.

alternatively (and in all honestly I recommend this over the site) get a teacher. a teacher will help you much more than the internet, since they can explain things a bit better. they can also see when you are confused and can help you. honestly asking her on ug is great but there are a few people who will give you the wrong info.
Quote by Dirk Gently
How about 12 bar blues shuffle. U need to able to do it in your sleep. Know it inside out upside down
This is where it all starts. The rest is all add ons. Cheers.
Quote by steven seagull
In all honesty I think you simply need to get better at the things you currently know. Most fast playing is using the exact same techniques as slow playing, just, well...faster.

This ^

I'm not all that great either, but my methods for getting better are (at least for soloing) printing off a tab, listening to the song three or four times, and then starting to put the notes together. After you get an awesome lead down, trust me, you'll feel really accomplished.

Edit: Also, don't throw yourself into music theory. It's not worth it. Stick with stuff that's fun for ya and keeps guitar a hobby, not a burden!
XBL: Kgrimes2
Steam: The_Anfauglir
Gamecenter: Kgrimes2
Wii Friend Code: 4970 3999 0634 0858
Twitter: KevinGrimes2
Last edited by Kgrimes2 at May 12, 2011,