So I got my first 7 string finally.
An Ibanez RG7421 refinished body (black with a bit of sparkle, pretty bad finish job to be honest, and kind of beat up) and RG7620 neck. Got it on Sevenstring forums quite cheap. It came with the stock RG7421 pickups (which I'm not going to bother installing) and an Evo 7 bridge model.

I'm having problems keeping the 7th string in tune, and I think I know why. The saddle on that string was changed and it looks to be really really cheap. There's no spring, the edges are all sharp (even the groove for the string was done by the previous owner) and the height screw things arent even screwable, I needed to use plyers to get it anywhere.

But, other than that, it's a pretty solid guitar. I'm planning to mod it quite a bit.

-Refinishing the body either to natural or white w/black binding
-Installing a Liquifire in the neck and a ? way switch
-Upgrading the bridge to a Hipshot
-Upgrading the tuners to Sperzel or Schaller Locking tuners (opinions?)
-Possibly get a 7621 neck for it rather than the 7620 (I know it's not much difference, but that's why it's the last thing on the list.)

Here's some shitty cell phone pics of it:

With my 2 Ibanez S540's. Shitty cell phone makes my Desert Yellow look like faded garbage
HNGD!

BTW, did you get that pedalboard from Rondo Music? Looks like their house brand. I just ordered one from them for a vocal preamp, DI Box, and monitor mixer for my vocalist.
Quote by Disturbed_EMG
Apart from the flaws you listed, sick guitar, man!

Haha, thanks man. You got any idea of what it could be, or do you think I'm on the right track with the saddle?

Quote by jetwash69
HNGD!

BTW, did you get that pedalboard from Rondo Music? Looks like their house brand. I just ordered one from them for a vocal preamp, DI Box, and monitor mixer for my vocalist.

Nah man, it's a Warwick one. They are basically the exact same though IIRC. I was originally going to build a pedalboard, but a buddy was selling this one with the case and everything for $35 so I thought, why not.
Quote by Levi79
Haha, thanks man. You got any idea of what it could be, or do you think I'm on the right track with the saddle?

Yeah, that sounds like it could well be the problem. I don't have any experience with that sort of stuff, but it sounds like it could definitely be causing those problems.
Despite the couple flaws, she looks pretty badass. HNGD
Currently Using:

Washburn X-Series w/ SH-8 and Pearly Gates
Peavey Vypyr 120h
Peavey Valveking 412 Slant
ISP Decimator
Ernie Ball .12-.56

Quote by CannedBullets
get to Wisconsin, do a S.E.A.L Team 6 style raid on her dwelling with a few other guys, show no mercy
Better mod that guitar soon, it's looking in a bit of a state!

Congratulations nonetheless!
If theres no spring on the saddle it will move back, pitching the string higer, i tihnk that is your problem.
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
retro peavey heads FTW! i have a vtm-60

lovin the guitar!

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

Haha, yeah I'm planning on modding the shit out of it. I'm going to be ordering a Hipshot for it tonight probably. Then I have a friend in the city selling me a liquifire for the neck for $50 next time I'm up. I haven't fully decided if I'm going to get locking tuners or not yet.
I'm going to either paint it white or do a natural finish on it too. The finish on it right now was pretty badly done. I'm going to sand it down, if I like it I'll probably tung oil it and call it good. If there's damage or the grain isn't very nice i'll paint it white.

And I got it for $215 shipped with the Evo 7 so I think I got a pretty decent deal.

Quote by SquierLolz
If theres no spring on the saddle it will move back, pitching the string higer, i tihnk that is your problem.

I'm having the opposite problem... It goes flat.

Quote by SYLrules88
retro peavey heads FTW! i have a vtm-60

lovin the guitar!

For sure man. Since I got this head, my 6505 has been sitting to the side collecting dust. I paid about 1/3 of what I did for the 6505 used.
Last edited by Levi79 at May 10, 2011,
very nice,

i would put some locking tuners on if your going for a hipshot trem.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I hate you lol. I've been GASing for a 7 string ever since I started listening to Periphery. HNGD!!!
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)
welcome to the 7 string club

btw I WANT THAT S540 LTD IVE BEEN LOOKING FOR ONE FOREVER
Guitars:
94' Epiphone Les Paul Honeyburst
Ibanez RG7620
Ibanez RG560

Amp:
Peavey Valveking Head
Marshall 1960b
Awesome NGD! This was my first 7 that I got about 4 years back. Its too bad it didnt come with the 27 inch 7421 scale neck. That thing was a monster!

Either way, have fun modding!
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You have no experience with racks??? What kind of guy are you?
Haha, yeah I'm quite a fan of the S's myself. The only downfall is I'm not huge on Mahogany. They are just so comfortable, the necks are perfect and they look amazing.

And funny story, the DY was basically my dream guitar. They are really rare in this finish so I thought I would never find one, but it just popped up on my kijiji one day.